Upcoming Cover Art II

Larry.

I know many people prefer the new WoT ebook covers to the original by Sweet, but fuck most of them are godawful to look at. This latest cover joins the ranks of the uglies. . . :stillsick: :thumbsdown:

Patrick

I actually prefer the Sweet covers.

These news ones are just .... hideous. It's like "Here's some cleavage, buy this book!".

What is this book?

What is this book?

It's the second volume in the Tales of the Ketty Jay series, a fantasy/steampunk mash-up involving airship crews with a bit of a Firefly vibe. The first book was Retribution Falls, which got some coverage here last year. Chris Wooding posts on the forum.

They're not the best, but I've yet to see one cover worse than the Sweet covers.

Perhaps. . . But as was the case with Modesitt's Recluce covers, they provide a visual continuity to the series. The new ones are mostly visual turds, in my opinion. . .

Patrick

*makes mental note to get Pat's address, then forward it to Harlequin, so he can review their covers*

Larry,

As bas as some Sweet covers are (LoC and KoD come to mind), they are still better than Harlequin covers! :stunned: Or are they!?!

Patrick

Some? You mean virtually all of them, unless you think the TGS cover that looks like Rand is giving the Black Power salute is a good illustration? :P

And hey, you never know...you might end up liking chick lit ;)

Hard as it may be for most to believe, the thing that first attracted me to The Eye of the World was the Sweet cover. Something about the composition and colour scheme just really attracted me to it. Most of the earlier covers are all right, IMHO, but later on it was like he just stopped trying.

I don't think the new covers give any kind of indication of what the books are actually like (although I don't mind the LoC 'action' cover featuring Dumai's Wells).

Hard as it may be for most to believe, the thing that first attracted me to The Eye of the World was the Sweet cover. Something about the composition and colour scheme just really attracted me to it. Most of the earlier covers are all right, IMHO, but later on it was like he just stopped trying.

I don't think the new covers give any kind of indication of what the books are actually like (although I don't mind the LoC 'action' cover featuring Dumai's Wells).

I thought the first three covers (by Sweet) were pretty decent. With the new covers, it's not the artists they need to fix, it's the scene they're depicting.

The Weight of Stone by Laura Anne Gilman.

So apparently that artist is the new go to guy for fantasy covers. They're not bad covers, but they're also not anything that make me sit up and take notice of those books. However, I would also not be embarrassed to be seen reading them, so I guess they've got that going for them.

One of the biggest mess-ups recently is TOR switching cover art for Ken Scholes' Psalms of Isaak series.

The Macnhess covers were stunning and now they switch to McGrath again for the rest of the series, totally different style that makes the series come across much more like a Steven Erikson ( Todd Lockwood art) sort of series. The Manchess covers worked very well in combination with what sort of books these were.

I guess they felt sales could be better with better cover art.

Archived