Worldcon 2011: Reno

Hello all,

I'm beginning the planning stages of our vacation next year and as I have just introduced my new bride to the world that is GRRM. We're reading it together, she for the first time and my 3rd time on "Game" and once each on the remaining three. I'd like to possibly meet him next August. We're from Texas and are debating on which event to attend(Worldcon 2011 Aug 17-21 in Reno or Bubonicon 43 Aug 26-28 in Albuquerque).

I've never been to any con in my life and not sure what they are like other than some tidbits of information gleamed from posts regarding the most recent affair in OZ.

Worldcon: from what I can tell, cost for membership would be $160 each until Sept 30 then $180. What "benefits" do you get for that as far as the con is concerned? I, shamefully perhaps, admit that I have insufficient knowledge base to nominate or vote for any of the awards.

Bubonicon: seems to be much smaller than Worldcon and cost last year was $42 at the door for all or $15-25 for daily attendees.

I just don't know the difference in what each event entails. I'm most interested in hearing George read, sign what I hope to be the latest release of Song(maybe Game too if he is inclined), and mingle with him and Parris if possible as they seems to be very open and accomodating to his fans. I don't even know what other notable authors and guests(other than the already named GOH) will be at each event. Brothels, I have a strong suspicion, will not be a deciding factor, or option as the case may be :)

Obviously, Bubonicon is less expensive, but I want to take into consideration all information that I can before deciding. Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

I am in. Looking forward to unleashing some BwB fun on Reno.

Dunknegg - the cost is for the con supporting, voting, Hugo Awards and all access to signings, panels, dealer room, etc. I am sure there will be evening events at both cons and plenty of good times with George and Parris, but imagine Worldcon will have a larger showing of BwBers and events that will be a blast.

w00t. Lodey coming to Worldcon again. Don't be such a stranger!

Dunknegg- Worldcon is your best bet if you want to meet a lot of other GRRM fans and also meet a lot of other authors, since it's a bigger event. If you just want to meet George and don't care about anyone else, a smaller event might be better.

Hmmmm, World Con is close (datewise and location) to Burning Man... Maybe WorldCon, hang around for a week, then BM? In a perfect world this would work. :bowdown:

It's actually potentially possible that I will be going to Burning Man next year. I'm currently...I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm currently applying for yet more grad school (just for a year), and if I go somewhere on the quarter system I'd actually be free to head to the playa, which I have been unable to do for the last few years and may not be possible in the future. Given how much time I have spent camping in the desert in primitive conditions, I have all the necessary equipment and more. It would be potentially fun to have a BWB camp. Very tempting. The amount of equipment needed for camping makes it kind of a hard trip to do if you're flying though, unless you know someone locally with all the stuff.

Yay for the return of the 3-Fisted Baron of the BwB! :)

I did notice the timing of Worldcon and Burning Man. Would be a very interesting combination.

DunknEgg, if you do try Bubonicon instead, looks like Texas will be holding Worldcon in 2014 (San Antonio to be exact). They are great fun. Whether the small intimate Bubonicons or the big Worldcons. Would actually be easier to hang with Parris/GRRM in Bubonicon. But if you enjoy that, you'll want to go to Worldcon then!

Edited to fix

A question for more knowledgeable con veterans - if all you're interested in doing is meeting other BwB folk and getting drunk, do you actually need con membership at all? Or can you just get a hotel room and hang out in a bar instead of bothering with all the actual con stuff? Do you need to be a member to get into the parties etc?

Strictly speaking yes you need your membership badge to get into the Worldcon parties but as to whether you would be able to get away with sneaking in without one, maybe you would maybe you wouldn't. Depends on what the set up there is like and how hot the people on the door or the elevator queues are going to be about enforcing the rules.

With that said I strongly advise you to buy a membership because the panels are definitely half the fun of Worldcon (at least for me) and I find it hard to believe that you would not enjoy them Min. Seriously why would you not want to hear the opinions of intelligent and articulate authors talking about all kinds of interesting subjects? Many of the panels are funny, some are downright hilarious. You would also get to attend readings and signing sessions as well as entry to the dealers room where great bargains and rare finds can be made.

Besides what else are you going to do in Reno during the day? While plenty of events take place outside of the convention centre you would still definitely be missing out on all sorts of great stuff which you would only hear about and not be able to discuss because you weren't there. In my opinion you would be missing out in a big way.

A question for more knowledgeable con veterans - if all you're interested in doing is meeting other BwB folk and getting drunk, do you actually need con membership at all? Or can you just get a hotel room and hang out in a bar instead of bothering with all the actual con stuff? Do you need to be a member to get into the parties etc?

You could always carry a Hugo replica instead of wearing a membership badge, it worked for the guy who came to our party when I was on the 'door', except his wasn't a replica :blushing:

Archived