Crippled God by Erikson has a release date

Calibandar

I have been disappointed enough by the last few that I didn't even pick up DoD. The one before just killed my interest. I'll pick up the last two when they are mass market paperbacks in the US, which will probably be another year at least. The synopsis does get me a little excited.

The Crippled God is 928 pages in hardcover?

http://us.macmillan.com/Book.aspx?isbn=9780765310101

I doubt that Transworld has finished the page proofs, so I doubt that Tor has the final version already paged.

But maybe they are using the UK format to speed-up the publication, and the UK hardcover is usually 100 pages longer.

In any case the wordcount is similar to all the 3 previous books, so that's what you'll have (if there haven't been lots of changes through editing).

• 3 weeks later...

Finally read the synopsis. Quick question:

The Forkrul Assail? WTF? Since when have they been relevant to the story at all? The only one I can remember is that Forkrul whom Karsa randomly fights in House of Chains. Am I completely missing something or not remembering a key part of the story (which is always possible with Erikson books)? Why do the Forkrul Assail want to annihalate the world?

They've always been in the background and their propensity for slaughtering things in the name of peace or balance is mentioned often). They became more prominent in DoD because, iirc, the place Tavore is marching the army to is controlled by FA, who are the ones using the piece of the CG. Also it's FA chasing after the kids who that girl beats by singing at them or something, and the Shake (I think) part Tiste dude fights one as well

They've always been in the background and their propensity for slaughtering things in the name of peace or balance is mentioned often). They became more prominent in DoD because, iirc, the place Tavore is marching the army to is controlled by FA, who are the ones using the piece of the CG. Also it's FA chasing after the kids who that girl beats by singing at them or something, and the Shake (I think) part Tiste dude fights one as well

You should correct your spoilertags (you have plural in the last brackets). I don't really mind, but some folks might.

Thanks! Still feels a bit out of left field for the series' climax, but good to know that it was set up in DoD and I've just forgotten about it (as usual with these books).

Another quick question. In his review of Stonewielder, Werthead writes that some of the events at the end of that book seem to be setting up the Crippled God. Since I don't plan to read the Esselmont books (unless the Crippled God blows me away and makes me want more Malazan), can someone please tell me what these events are and what they're setting up?

Another quick question. In his review of Stonewielder, Werthead writes that some of the events at the end of that book seem to be setting up the Crippled God. Since I don't plan to read the Esselmont books (unless the Crippled God blows me away and makes me want more Malazan), can someone please tell me what these events are and what they're setting up?

I don't know what my problem with the ICE books have been, but I found both NoK and RotCG to be tough to slog through. I doubt that I will read Stoneweilder.

The Crimson Guard are trying to track down the treacherous Skinner whilst, in the background, the Malazan Empire and the Stormriders (separately) are trying to destroy the three fragments of the Crippled God that remain in Korelri. The Malazans destroy one, the Stormriders another, but the third is stolen by Skinner and taken through a Warren, presumably to be reunited with the CG which will play a role in the finale.

The Crimson Guard are trying to track down the treacherous Skinner whilst, in the background, the Malazan Empire and the Stormriders (separately) are trying to destroy the three fragments of the Crippled God that remain in Korelri. The Malazans destroy one, the Stormriders another, but the third is stolen by Skinner and taken through a Warren, presumably to be reunited with the CG which will play a role in the finale.

If I recall correctly, Kiska and Leoman also end up on the same shore between Light and Dark that someone (was it the Shake?) were on in DoD. Which potentially means they'll be in it as well.

What is the power level of the Crippled God? A lvl 100 Megasuperpowerful God? Will there be a deus-ex-machina when a lvl 255 Interdimensional Über-God pops up and kicks the Crippled God's ass?

I only read the first 4 books, but from what I know he used to be a lvl 255 Interdimensional Uber-God but upon his descend to WhiskeyJack land he got WTFPWND and reduced to a lvl 100 God as you say.

• 4 weeks later...

My review of The Crippled God is up on the Hotlist! :thumbsup:

Follow this link to read it...

Although George R. R. Martin, Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson, and other SFF authors will have something to say on the matter before everything is said and done, as things stand Steven Erikson's magnum opus, The Malazan Book of the Fallen, sits in pole position as the very best and most ambitious epic fantasy saga ever written. And believe you me: It won't be easy to dethrone.

Patrick

Although George R. R. Martin, Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson, and other SFF authors will have something to say on the matter before everything is said and done

Hmm, not sure the contest is between these.

Between existing writers only Bakker is doing something with a similar ambition. Maybe we'll see in the near future some new writer who tackles a similar scale and ambition, but that also isn't so obvious. New writers prefer to build their own public and tone more than going for wide scale epics. Abercrombie and Rothfuss, both great, don't go with that scale and likely new writers will follow a similar path.

Martin is its own enemy, so he can't contend as long he doesn't find a way out and changes his pace. Jordan is out of the picture.

Sanderson could, this new series is challenging Malazan at least on size, but having read the first book I don't think it will go for a similar scope.

Instead in simple quantitative terms Jordan and Erikson are basically equal (I don't count anything outside the main series, or anything handled by more than 1 writer, since something like Warhammer 40k or Forgotten Realms would easily win). Sanderson is set on the same path, but he has now 9 more books to go, so it will take a while.

As a whole, even in all literature, I don't think there are many projects on a similar scale and size. At least on that level it's an impressive achievement. I've checked the Wikipedia and there's no western work that seems to challenge it, and only a few written in eastern languages.

Archived