Stupid Questions

Guest Other-in-Law

• 4 weeks later...

Was thinking about making a thread for this, and then thought, "Man, this is a stupid fucking question."

I want to send a roughly-normal-sheet-of-paper sized photo through the mail. How do I go about this? Generally, I will want an envelope large enough, preferably padded (can be acquired at the post office), adequate postage (can be acquired at the post office), and some pieces of cardboard in which to sandwich the photo and prevent it from creasing/crumpling/folding/getting damaged (???).

Will I be able to get this at a post office? I mail approximately two things a year, if that, and they usually entail dropping letters off in a mailbox, so I don't know what you can and can't get at a post office these days.

Will I be able to get this at a post office? I mail approximately two things a year, if that, and they usually entail dropping letters off in a mailbox, so I don't know what you can and can't get at a post office these days.

Most Post Offices have a neat section of envelopes you can use. If the normal "priority mail" [sorry, Im defaulting to USPS] kind aren't to your liking, they have a shelf of other envelopes (like festive holiday patterned ones!) Some of them will have cardboard inserts to mail things flat

Sometimes, if the person behind the counter is having a good day, you can ask and they'll find some loose bits of cardboard for you to use

or u can just get some flat cardboard bits yourself, bring them with and fit into proper sized envelope once there. That works too

Or third option - once there, grab the free priority mail box, cut it up for the cardboard and then fit that into the envelope

Postage miiiiiiiight be a lil bit more than typical letter, 'cause cardboard adds weight

I agree with Chise. Come prepared. Yesterday I did my annual trip to the post office to send out Christmas presents and they didn't even have a mailing label to put on the box. (I didn't do a mailing label because I thought they would want me to use their own formatted label for their convenience.)

BLU-RAY, maybe hit up a Mail Boxes Etc in your area? They should have the packing material/envelope that you need. They have shit specifically for sending photos. They may have the same things at the post office, but I feel like it would be less of a pain in the ass.

Archived