A Thread for Small Questions III

Lady Blackfish

Here's a small question. Most people seem to take it for granted that Sandor Clegane is still alive. Am I missing something? I don't remember seeing the hints for that. Can someone explain why people believe this?

Also, why is everyone so certain that Sarella is at the Citadel? Have we met her there? Do I need to read more carefully or something?

Here's a small question. Most people seem to take it for granted that Sandor Clegane is still alive. Am I missing something? I don't remember seeing the hints for that. Can someone explain why people believe this?

Also, why is everyone so certain that Sarella is at the Citadel? Have we met her there? Do I need to read more carefully or something?

Common consensus is that the hooded gravedigger at the Quiet Isle is Sandor. The story Elder Brother tells Brienne is probably mostly true, only he didn't die. he was taken to the monastery and lives among them now.

Sarella is Alleras spelled backwards. Also, Alleras shares many of the same physical traits as her father and sisters.

Sarella is Alleras spelled backwards. Also, Alleras shares many of the same physical traits as her father and sisters.

Also, there was a comment made about Sarella being in Old Town and Doran said that he couldn't reach her there so he'd leave her to her games.

Yet, Dany's dragons are from the Shadowlands, and thus likely wild-type, yet they seem to be easily trained. Explain plz.

I don't think we know Dany's dragons are from the shadowlands for sure? It is also possible they have hatched from Targ dragon eggs. Don't they match the descriptions of eggs belonging to the Princesses in the Maidenvault?

Guest Other-in-Law

Do any of the offices of the government come with their own castles? The Wardens, for the most part, are always local lords in their regions, so they're seen to, but does the Master of Laws have way-castles and perhaps even regional courts, or does he just drop in now and again with various lords and displace them? I seem to recall the Warden of the Cinque ports had castles that came with that office, castles to hold the ports that were his jurisdiction -- has the Master of Ships anything similar?

I doubt they have actual castles, but certainly they would have various chambers, maybe towers given over to their use on the cities' walls.

One of the positions mentioned serving under the Master of Coin was harbor masters; presumably that would require some strong point controlling access to the harbors of cities or lesser towns (maybe merely some rooms in the local lord's castle for the latter) in order to collect the necessary customs. And the three mints would no doubt require secure facilities to do their work without being robbed. On the other hand, Lord Manderly was able to fire the White Harbor customs agent who was withholding coin for the Lannisters, so it really doesn't seem like their offices are so strong as to be unassailable by local forces. If he had his own real castle, he kinda would be, at least for a while.

First consider the story the brother on the quiet isle told of himself. That he fought on the Trident and was nearly killed before washing downstream. When he changed his life to that of a brother he says that his old self "died". Basically what he is describing is akin to pentacostal christans being born again. You don't truely "die" in the strict sense of the word, but your old self is shed.

Now consider his story of the hound. The brother claims he found the hound and that the man had died. He built a carn at that location and placed the helm on the top of the rocks. If you read between the lines here it is clear what really happened is that he found Sandor near death and nursed him back from the brink. Sandor then had an emotional epiphany of sorts and experienced his moment of being born-again, or his "death" of the old self. To symbolize this he needed to leave the old hound behind in the form of the helm. So they built the carn and placed the helm on top (later stolen by Rorge) before removing themselves to the quiet isle. Then we have the following evidence during Brienne's chapter.

Stranger is stabled on the isle

The gravedigger (Sandor) warmly greets the dog (sandor loved dogs)

The gravedigger is said to be a novice

The gravedigger moves with a severe limp (wound sustained whilst with Arya)

Brienne judges that the gravedigger is bigger than her

When Brienne says "Sandor Clegane is Dead" the elder brother answers by saying "He is at rest"

People who argue against this theory cite from page 670:

I came upon him by the Trident, drawn by his cries of pain. He begged me for the gift of mercy, but I am sworn not to kill again. Instead, I bathed his fevered brow with river water, and gave him wine to drink and a poultice for his wound, but my efforts were too little too late. The Hound died there in my arms.

The description speaks pretty clearly of a man that truely died in the flesh, but proponents of gravedigger = Sandor say that this is just a metaphysical description of the man experiencing a spiritual transformation.

We may learn more in Winds of Winter or in A Dream of Spring.

Thank you very much everyone!

I feel silly for not realizing the Sarella=Alleras thing. :D

And thank you, Strong Belwas, for laying out the evidence for the Hound being alive. Every thread I could find just took it for granted he was alive and I couldn't see where they were getting the hints! I am still on the fence, but I am hoping for a live Sandor!

Archived