The Books We Are Expecting in 2011

Werthead

Michael J Sullivan's final book of the Riyria Relevations Percepliquis is due for 2011.

Any word on Robert Redick's The Chathrand Voyage? Is the The River of Shadows due this year or next? It looks like he has finished the draft of the The River of Shadows in March according to his website.

Michael J Sullivan's final book of the Riyria Relevations Percepliquis is due for 2011.

Any word on Robert Redick's The Chathrand Voyage? Is the The River of Shadows due this year or next? It looks like he has finished the draft of the The River of Shadows in March according to his website.

AFAIK The River of Shadows is still being aimed for a late 2010 release.

There's probably going to be some confusion with people not realising some books they may have thought were 2011 releases coming out at the end of this year. For example, Ken Scholes Antiphon (Psalms of Isaak #3) and Adrian Tchaikovsky's The Scarab Path (Shadows of the Apt #5) are both due in late 2010.

Celia Friedman's Legacy of Kings, book three of the Magister Trilogy, is scheduled for publication in April 2011.

http://www.littlebrown.co.uk/Title/9781841495354

Ken Scholes' Requiem is due in mid-to-late 2011, I believe. Peter Brett has only just started writing The Daylight War, which given the delays on The Desert Spear makes it most likely an early 2012 release.

Good to know. :)

There's probably going to be some confusion with people not realising some books they may have thought were 2011 releases coming out at the end of this year. For example, Ken Scholes Antiphon (Psalms of Isaak #3) and Adrian Tchaikovsky's The Scarab Path (Shadows of the Apt #5) are both due in late 2010.

But what do you consider late? Antiphon has an early September release date last I checked and Tchaikovky a month earlier than that? Have those changed now? (and I'm not sure why anyone thought those were 2011 releases unless I missed something).

Daniel Abraham, Ruckley, the last book by Del Toro and Hogan (I believe), possible Micklem (not holding my breath though) and actual fantasy from Melanie Rawn (from the shared world she had with Elliott and Roberson) may see the light and shelves next year. Those are the books off the top of my head. Several hundred others no doubt that will at least get my attention long enough to consider yea or nay.

But what do you consider late? Antiphon has an early September release date last I checked and Tchaikovky a month earlier than that? Have those changed now? (and I'm not sure why anyone thought those were 2011 releases unless I missed something).

Daniel Abraham, Ruckley, the last book by Del Toro and Hogan (I believe), possible Micklem (not holding my breath though) and actual fantasy from Melanie Rawn (from the shared world she had with Elliott and Roberson) may see the light and shelves next year. Those are the books off the top of my head. Several hundred others no doubt that will at least get my attention long enough to consider yea or nay.

I meant confusion in the sense people might ponder why I'd skipped Books 3 and 5 in their respective series, as they are late 2010 releases (and 'late' to me means the the last quarter to last third of the year).

Ah, the sequel to The Golden Key? That's been mooted for many years.

Diviner was sent to the publisher (DAW) late 2009. It's been put around in a few different - authorised - places, so it's presumably true. Penguin's website doesn't have it on their list, though, and I've no idea what sort of rewrites or edits are needed, so the actual release may be a while yet.

Order of the Scales by Dead comes out May 19th, as does MD Lachlan's sequel to Wolfsangel, called Wolsfbane.

Robin Hobb's story collection is now titled "The Inheritance" and is due on March 31st.

Then there is the new Peter Beagle short story collection titled "Sleight of Hand" due on March 1st.

Other than that, my most anticipated 2011 releases would be White Luck Warrior, Wise Man's Fear, The Heroes, Republic of Thieves and Requiem by Scholes, if that comes out. I might even check out the final Wheel of Time book just to see how it ends, and do the same for The Crippled God.

ADWD I hope to be an early 2011 release as well. Hopefully he can finish before he goes off to Australia and then Ireland in September. This is the best case scenario I suspect.

Updated with the information.

ADWD I hope to be an early 2011 release as well. Hopefully he can finish before he goes off to Australia and then Ireland in September. This is the best case scenario I suspect.

Assuming Voyager and Bantam Spectra keep to their promises, I anticipate a autumn 2010 release in the UK and possibly a spring 2011 releasein the USA if he finishes as late as the second half of August, with both falling back to 2011 if it's September.

That's not the best case scenario, though. The best case scenario is if he finishes tomorrow and the book comes out in the UK in July or August, maybe later in the USA. Maybe not the most realistic scenario, though ;)

Imho, the biggest risk with ADOD at this point isn't the release date, but that Martin may decide to leave the "knot" unfinished and publish the book without that part.

Yeah, because he's really likely to spend five years trying to work it out if he was the sort to drop it, and the publishers are likely to let him put out a book that makes no sense because a key plot event is missing.

Yeah, because he's really likely to spend five years trying to work it out if he was the sort to drop it, and the publishers are likely to let him put out a book that makes no sense because a key plot event is missing.

What? You don't think that history can repeat itself? :)

For me, the only books I'm looking forward to for 2011 are Memory of Light and Wise Man's Fear. I'm so behind on my reading list, that I'm still working through books published years ago. Long awaited sequels come first before starting anything new.

Even if DWD comes out in 2011, I'll not be reading it for awhile. I'd rather lessen the reading gap between books 5 and 6. I need to re-read Feast anyway to remember most of what happened.

• 2 weeks later...

James S. A. Corey's debut novel Leviathan Wakes: Book One of the Expanse Series is coming out in May 2011:

http://www.littlebrown.co.uk/Title/9781841499888

Amazon says:

James S. A. Corey is a collective pseudonym for Nebula award-nominee Daniel Abraham, and Ty Franck, personal assistant to epic fantasy heavyweight George R. R. Martin.

Abraham mentions the book in his blog:

http://bram452.livejournal.com/71760.html

I like the synopsis of that one, it sounds less far future than some other kinds of space opera I see a lot of, which can be good in their own right, but I am looking for something that sees humanity progress in stages, rather than already being all interstellar already.

Archived