What Legends of Westeros do you want to know more about?

Definitely Prince Aemon the Dragonknight and Ser Arthur Dayne. Those two, and Barristan the Bold, are often quoted as the best knights in Westerosi history. I want to see some more detailed information on their deeds.

Would also be cool to learn a little more about the Children of the Forest and the Targaryen conquests of the Seven Kingdoms.

Some more info on Dawn and the requirements for becoming the Sword of the Morning is a must-have.

I don't know if it is too late to suggest things, however my pick would mainly be two "legends" (I'm not sure what constitues as a legend or not):

1. The Knight of the Laughing Tree is very intriguing to me. I know we know a bit about the tourney already but I would like to know more about it in detail. And also, if ever possible, the true identity and motives of the Knight of the Laughing tree.

2. The Smiling Knight is another one I'd like to know more about, his rise and fall, and all his exploits in between.

• 3 weeks later...

I want to know lots and lots about the Children of the Forest. Were they like the fairies in Celtic legends? Were they actually human?

I always imagined the children as pre-Tolkien elves (though hopefully without pointed ears); short, mysterious and magical otherworldly figures that lived neolithically and in tune with nature.

I doubt we'd see any info on them in the World book, except perhaps for a myth or two, since Bran might run into them later, and they pre-date the Andals and their written word.

I want to know lots and lots about the Children of the Forest. Were they like the fairies in Celtic legends? Were they actually human?

Don't the Children have green skin? I don't think they're human, probably more like what you guys mentioned, fairies or elves.

• 2 weeks later...

More on Deremond Darry and the Bloody Meadow, and also Aerys' Kingsguard since they are considered so perfect (I'm not sure if Martin is purposely commenting on the winner's tendencies to romanticize the losers so that beating them is more of a feat, though, so maybe they aren't as perfect as they are made out), and other tales of the doomed warriors during Robert's rebellion.

Bloodraven's stint as leader of the Night's Watch.

Bittersteel and his founding of the Golden Company and the fates of all of Daemon Blackfyre's sons after The Mystery Knight.

The wars of the First Men with the Children of the Forest.

The wars of the Andals with the First Men.

Everything else everybody has mentioned!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd like to hear more about the stepstones and Maelys the Monstrous.

Jenny of old stones and the dragonfly knight.

The legend of Azhor Azhai - and more info on R'hlor, the red priests, and Asshai under the shadow.

(Same goes for the faceless men and founding of Bravvos)

Don't the Children have green skin? I don't think they're human, probably more like what you guys mentioned, fairies or elves.

We don't have any real solid evidence of what they looked like as far as I can recall. Just small, dark and beautiful. the "Green Men" were like priests on the Isle of Faces and probably where you're getting the green skin from.

Since I tend towards the least fantastic explanation in ASOIAF until otherwise corrected, it seems to me that the Children were most likely just humans with a more pronounced phenotype than we usually find in our own species. Olive skin, black hair, short and slight, likely with their own distinct facial features to set them broadly apart from the Andals and the First Men and the Summer Islanders and any other 'races' in their world.

They could have been another species, something recently diverged from the Homo Sapiens equivalent in their world. There is evidence to back up that there were probably several and possibly many human-like species roaming Earth even as recently as twenty-five thousand years ago. If one had survived and flourished on the Americas with enough time to develop culture and 'advanced' stone technology then the Humans migrating in from Beringia during the last Ice Age might have found a continent already settled which probably would have ended badly for one of them, lets assume the Humans who were in much smaller numbers. Fast forward a few thousand years and when the Europeans start poking around they would likely have found a very different Americas, with a people they might find to be almost mythical in their differences from them.

Basically that is a long-winded way of saying I think the Children of the Forest were probably just as boring and just as interesting as humans if in fact they weren't humans themselves. They just happened to look a little different and now having faded into legend those differences have taken on a legendary scale.

The Nightfort, especially the Night's King, the Rat Cook and the 'prentice boys who found the Thing in the Night. They've all got vaguely Lovecraftian feels and you can never say no to good, vague Lovecraftian feels.

Another vote for Bloodraven.

Summerhall. It's been hinted at vaguely, but knowing what really happened penetrates the mythos that grew since the tragedy. Egg always seemed a bit too level-headed to me to buy into notions for sorcery being able to hatch the remaining dragons' eggs. A bad experiment with pyromancers? An assassination project by the Citadel to wipe out a good chunk of the royal family at once?

Summerhall . . . yeah, that was sad. Duncan and Prince Duncan and Aegon the Fifth . . . Damn it, we could have had a Duncan the First!

I want to see a detailed account on how the dragons died during Aegon III, and how they were used after the Targaryen dynasty's establishment, especially in Aegon II's war with his half-sister.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would like to know more about The War of the Ninepenny Kings, The Golden Company and what caused Rhaegar to become so sad - what was the name of that place?

Summerhall.

And what was the book he was reading that caused him to take up arms?

And how did the alleged Stark Commander on the Wall take what sounds like an Other to his bed? Perhaps a story book of old Nan's tales is in order.

• 3 months later...

Archived