Boarders Writing a Novel Thread 4

kuenjato

At this stage, attacking multiples doesn't strike me as a great idea, because drafting the ends of books take so much effort. I suppose the exception would be if one book were in a late draft and another were in first draft.

Anyone else in here trying to write multiple novels at once? It sucks. I already don't have a lot of time because of school, plus when I do want to write I always alternate on what I want to work on.

Actually I'd love to. But ... I don't, though I have this idea in my head (where else?) about writing something like a historical fiction with the plot and tale revolving around my native island between 1869 and 1870. I've been planning to start writing it for almost a year now, and I've done some research but no actual writing.

Instead, I've been working (as always) on my draft for my fantasy series; the one I started writing in October 2006. I've recently sent copies of it to publishers, though, so I actually have some time to spare ...

Well, what can I say: It's difficult writing multiples anyway.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the board.

At this stage, attacking multiples doesn't strike me as a great idea, because drafting the ends of books take so much effort. I suppose the exception would be if one book were in a late draft and another were in first draft.

At the moment I've four books started--and continuously rotating in the bunson-burner of the brain--but I tend to work on them one-at-a-time. For example, I just completed a novel, and to let it breath I've returned to a YA project I started way back at the beginning of 2010 and wrote around 13k on. I plan to write at least 30k more on it before my vacation in late May; I may finish it off in June or switch to another project while I plan out in detail the climax/conclusion.

If the inspiration or opening lines/pages of a new book sieze me, I do go ahead and write it down in a 'special session'... but I tend to work faster and stronger if my creative energy is mostly focused in one continual project, with occasional breaks on other stuff to gain appropriate distance and planning time.

I have been writing almost since I participated in NaNoWriMo in 2009, and I have written close to four stories that take place in the same world. I have not done any editing, and I don't think I will until I complete the sequence, which could be another four or five stories. So far, each story is between 80,000 and 90,000 words.

Now, I am of two minds about what I should do next.

1. I think I should stop, and edit and revise the four stories. I don't know how long it will take me. Obviously, there are plot holes and other inconsistencies in the four stories, and if I want to get them published I would have to eventually edit and revise.

or

2. I continue writing the rest of the stories until I finish until I will have completed the entire series. Then, I edit and revise all the stories.

I think if I write out the complete series, then I think it would be easier to revise and edit. If the first two books are ready to go, then I could send out query letters to publishers or self-publish.

Right now, I think I will choose the second option becuase of what I have read and heard about publishing a fantasy series. Adrian Tchaikovsky, author of Shadows of the Apt series, mentioned in a couple of interviews that he finished the first four books in the series before he sent out queries to publishing companies. He said that if he did not do that, he felt that no publishing company would not be interested in signing him.

I have also read a couple of interviews with Joe Abercrombie and he said the reason why he wrote a couple of stand-alone novels, even if they take place in the same world as the First Law Trilogy, that it was easier for him to edit and revise. He said that when he wrote the First Law Trilogy, he had to always keep in mind what was already published in the earlier books, so he could maintain the consistency.

I have also figured that I would probably be self-publish my stories based on what I have heard and read about the current state of the publishing industry. I have read that if a person likes a novel, and sees that there is the next novel in the series available, especially with e-books and for the right price point, chances are greater that the person will buy the next book, or the rest of the books in the series.

I have also read that when a new book in a series is published, sales of the previous books in the series also increase.

Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

Anyone else in here trying to write multiple novels at once? It sucks. I already don't have a lot of time because of school, plus when I do want to write I always alternate on what I want to work on.

I've been known to do this. Doing it now, actually. Usually I write one chapter or section of one, then one of the other, but I rarely focus on more than two. If I get an idea for a third piece, I write it down and shelve it for later. Inevitably, one moves faster than the other, and I get to the end quicker and the focus on that until it's done. At least, that's what I've observed of my recent habit.

Welcome to the board. Nice username. *giggle* :lol:

Thanks, I wish I could say I came up with it, but I saw it on another site and couldn't resist. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

My writing is still in its infancy because of college. The most progress I had made was 30 pages for one book. But I realized it was crap and decided to do a rewrite. Thankfully my friend was Lit Major so he agreed to review and edit my books.

I've tried writing multiple projects at once and failed miserably at it. I have to work on one project at a time. I'm a HS English teacher teaching 2 extra classes this year (so instead of 5 I teach 7...4 different "preps:" English 11, 11 Advanced, 10 Advanced and English 12) with a very active 3 year old running around the house, so my time and attention is spread very thin. I have a finite amount of time to commit to primary projects, let alone anything else. (I think of how much time I wasted when I was younger...even before my Natalie came along!)

Plus, I find that things bleed together if do that. Could just be my adult ADD.

As for writing all or most of the books of a series, there are a lot of schools of thought on that. GRRM has said that he wishes he could've written all the books of ASOIAF at once then release them accordingly. I also remember Joshua Palmatier saying that was a waste of time because what if the first book doesn't sell or what if in the course of editing you change it so much the sequel makes no sense. I like the first point of that statement, as I'm finding out right now in the query process.

That being said, I wrote the second book of my series, Spring Tempest. However that was the summer of 2007 and I've since rewritten the first book, Winter's Discord six times (including one at the request of an agent). Glancing at Spring, the book is pretty much scrapped (though there is some stuff I might be able to salvage for the next two books.)

But...we're all different, so maybe you can handle it!

As for writing all or most of the books of a series, there are a lot of schools of thought on that. GRRM has said that he wishes he could've written all the books of ASOIAF at once then release them accordingly. I also remember Joshua Palmatier saying that was a waste of time because what if the first book doesn't sell or what if in the course of editing you change it so much the sequel makes no sense. I like the first point of that statement, as I'm finding out right now in the query process.

That being said, I wrote the second book of my series, Spring Tempest. However that was the summer of 2007 and I've since rewritten the first book, Winter's Discord six times (including one at the request of an agent). Glancing at Spring, the book is pretty much scrapped (though there is some stuff I might be able to salvage for the next two books.)

But...we're all different, so maybe you can handle it!

Thanks.

I think that I agree with GRRM.

I have not been editing or revising at all. Since November of 2009, I guess I have been writing the first draft one long story that have been broken into four different parts. Each part is self-contained, but are connected and in the same universe. I am of the mindset to keep writing until I come to end of the complete story, which I figure to be eight or nine parts total.

Once I am done writing the complete story, then I will start to edit and revise. I also figure that this story will probably be self-published. I have done enough research to understand that a story that has elves, dwarves, gnomes, goblins,etc. is not something a publisher would be interested in getting behind. I figure if I want other people to read this story, it would probably be best to self-publish.

Once I am done writing the complete story, then I will start to edit and revise. I also figure that this story will probably be self-published. I have done enough research to understand that a story that has elves, dwarves, gnomes, goblins,etc. is not something a publisher would be interested in getting behind. I figure if I want other people to read this story, it would probably be best to self-publish.

I'm very anti-self-publishing. It's a personal thing. I just can't see why it's best to self publish. I'm a big boy. I can handle being told that my work isn't ready for public consumption. For every success story there is a disproportionate number of crap and scammers out there. I'd rather be told that I'm not good enough to be traditionally published than shell out my cash to pay someone to print my inferior product.

I do not want this to turn this into a self vs traditional publishing flame war, so I won't go any further.

Revision and rewriting are where the story becomes what it is. As much as I am GRRM disciple, I kind of agree with Palmatier. Why am I going to waste all this time writing a sequel to a book that may not sell in the first place. I've very basically re-plotted out "Spring's Tempest" but if all goes well with "Winter" I'll look at it again. (Well, I'll HAVE to look at it again!)

If you are talking about 8 or 9 separate novels...that's a long series. And ambitious. I have the same debate myself about ambition in what I am doing. It was a word many rejecting agents used to describe my book. I never thought of it as such, it was just the story I wanted to write.

How many words each? My shopped piece is 130k but was initially shopped at 99k then 83k. I have a trunk novel that was 170k. It's hard, in this environment, for a publisher to commit to a series that long from a newcomer. My series, Seasons of Destiny, is slated for four books. (Comically, one of the interested agents asked if it was part of a trilogy...talk about a cliche!) Again, ambitious.

Writing is aprocess of rewriting.

That said, I'm not touching book two of my trilogy until (if) the first one sells. Dreaming up the complex plots and characters is the fun and easy part. Making the outlines and note make sense in compelling prose is the hard and time consuming part. Polishing that prose into something worth sharing harder still. When I finish this revision, I'm starting a different series.

And don't forget the reason why GRRM didn't just write the "7" books in his series. He's still got to eat. ;)

How many words each? My shopped piece is 130k but was initially shopped at 99k then 83k. I have a trunk novel that was 170k. It's hard, in this environment, for a publisher to commit to a series that long from a newcomer. My series, Seasons of Destiny, is slated for four books. (Comically, one of the interested agents asked if it was part of a trilogy...talk about a cliche!) Again, ambitious.

I don't know if I am ambitious. Each of the first four stories that I have written have been between 80k and 95k,so they are probably not doorstoppers. After revising and editing, each of them could be longer or shorter.

As far as publishing, I would like to be published, but, to me at least, I want to write the story that has been knocking around in my head for the last several years. I want to do get that down on paper first and foremost. Then, I will edit and revise. I would like other people to read my story, but I think that is not as important as writing it for the time being. Of course when I am finished writing the story, I may feel differently about whether or not I would self-publish or get an agent.

Archived