GRRM in San Diego

Summary: GRRM read the ADWD prologue. He fielded the typical questions: Jon Snow's parent's etc. He could not announce casting news or "HBO would kill him" and since he is sans net here in SD, did not know the news about about Gregor's casting. He has "1400" finished ADWD pages, hasn't begun on the 4th Dunk & Egg short story and had to review all the casting videos for Shae "many times".

He did mention that he had hoped to be finished with Dance by the time he got to San Diego. So he must be really close.

Did he say how recently it was that he gave up on that hope? :D Ah, George, I love him! I still actually get a little excited when I hear about the possibility of the book being done, but I'm most innured to it by now. If he still had thought he might have been able to get the book done by San Diego as recently as, say, two weeks before he had to leave, that would be encouraging. Anything much more than that, and I don't know if it's much different than the other points in time over the past year that he'd hoped to have the book done by. 1400 pages sounds good, though; that would be our first page count update in months, though it comes secondhand. Anybody else can confirm that?

Nice stuff.

Given that the Clarion students were there, I had hoped there'd be some interesting discussion about his writing process that was perhaps new. Anything of note along those lines? :)

He talked very little about the process, he basically came in, said hello, talked a little about Dance, said some thing like "I'm going to read the prologue. It's best to start from the beginning so I'll read the prologue from A Game of Thrones" and fielded pretty general questions from the audience.

At least I cant recall him mentioning anything about it.

Really the only thing regarding Clarion or writing he mentioned was that there were some "really talented" writers in the program and that he is pleased that David Benioff is a writer of some note.

He told me during the one-on-one signing that he had 4 Clarion short stories he had to read after the signing for Thursday's class.

Kathy, If you see this it was nice to chat with you again. See you at the next San Diego GRRM signing.

Looking over my notes of the event I forgot to mention: GRRM said he was writing the ADWD epiloge now (but that he doesn't write in order). It was also my first time I heard him mention the name Essos directly (refering to the eastern continent).

He did mention that he had hoped to be finished with Dance by the time he got to San Diego. So he must be really close.

He also mentioned he wanted to have it finished before starting on his script for Game of Thrones. He ended up finishing his script in April. So I don't know if that is something to get too excited about.

The 1400 pages sounds promising though.

Kathy, If you see this it was nice to chat with you again. See you at the next San Diego GRRM signing.

Nice to see you, too! And definitely. BTW, here's the fruits of my labors that evening.

I was mondo lucky and got invited to a dinner party where GRRM was guest of honor. Unfortunately, I was mostly brain dead and didn't ask anything interesting. But HBO-series wise, he is going to be writing one script per season. They are going to attempt one book per season (although GRRM posited that when they hit SoS, it'll have to be split over two seasons). He said that the number of episodes per series isn't necessarily set in stone, so they might be stretching out to 12 episodes later on. I also asked him if having the series dramatized was going to affect how he envisions the characters and he said that was a good question. He thought about it for a second, and then said that there's one actress (they're currently in negotations with, so he couldn't mention the character or the actress's names) who doesn't look anything like the character she auditioned for, but she's so damn good that they want her, and if she does get cast, it's definitely going to have an effect on the how the character gets written in the book.

The only other thing I remember (and it's of no interest to anyone, I just thought it was funny) was that I was burbling on about NTLive and Alan Bennett's The Habit of Art, and GRRM said that they'd tried to get Richard Griffiths for Game of Thrones, but it fell through. I was just joking and said, "Who'd you get instead--Ian McNeice?" and he laughed and said, "Yes, actually."

He thought about it for a second, and then said that there's one actress (they're currently in negotations with, so he couldn't mention the character or the actress's names) who doesn't look anything like the character she auditioned for, but she's so damn good that they want her, and if she does get cast, it's definitely going to have an effect on the how the character gets written in the book.

Thinks. Osha? I'm drawing a bit of a blank here.

There are very few female characters left to be cast from aGoT that are still alive after aFfC. No Lysa, no Shae...hmm...confused.

Interesting anyhow. :)

Archived