Best/Worst 5 POV characters?

reduxien

There are some chapters that I absolutely cannot put down because I like the character so much and other chapters from loathed characters which I can't wait to end. I'm curious to see everyone's preferences. List your Best/Worst 5 POV characters to read :)

Best:

1. Jon

2. Bran

3. Arya

4. Tyrion

5. Samwell

Worst:

1. Daenerys

2. All of the secondary POVs in AFFC

3. Cersei

4. Davos

5. Sansa

It's been a while since I cracked one of these books open. Here is the best I can do from memory. There could be some omissions. I'm going to say that these are in no order.

Best:

1. Jamie

2. Cersei

3. Tyrion

4. Jon

5. Sansa

Worst:

1. Bran

2. Arya in AFFC

3. Samwell

4. Catelyn

5. Brienne

Haha, I have a clear Lannister preference it seems.

On a special note, I found the prologue chapters to be some of the best parts of the book.

Favorites:

1. Tyrion

2. Arya

3. Jamie

4. Bran

5. Daenerys

Least Favorites:

1. Cersei

2. Catelyn

3. Sansa (AGOT and ACOK. She got better later.)

4. Davos

5. Samwell

This is overall, but it changes between books and such..

Hmm.

Personally, I've never been a fan of Jon or his chapters, and especially not during rereads... I do LOVE Aemon, Mormont and Dolorous Edd, though...

Favorite:

1. Tyrion

2. Jaime

3. Cersei (I found these extremely hilarious)

4. Brienne

5. Davos

Least Favorite:

1. Jon

2. Catelyn

3. Asha

4. Theon

5. Hmm, can't come up with any other POV that isn't highly enjoyable... So the aGoT prologue, I guess.

Yeah.

I find him an interesting read?

I like him as a POV, love him as a character, but as a human being? Not really.

Jon and Catelyn would probably be terrific people in real life, but that doesn't mean they're fun to read about (to me).

Favourite:

- Jaime (great psychological evolution)

- Tyrion (everything he says is quote-worthy)

- Brienne (the truest knight of the saga)

- Sansa (her evolution is somewhat disturbing, but I love her view of the Hound)

- Ned (naiveté personified)

Least favourite:

- Davos

- Arianne

- Arys Oakheart

- Euron Greyjoy

- Areo Hotah

Apart from Davos, these probably suffer from appearing only briefly in FFC: I didn't have time to get fond of them. Areo is OK but I'd have preferred a glimpse in the mind of Doran Martell. Davos is OK but for some reason the whole Stannis-Melisandre plot fails to move me.

Best: 1) Eddard (the last good knight. period.)

2) Catelyn (from ACoK on, the voice of reason, heeded far too rarely)

3) Bran (innocence and wisdom, and an incredibly interesting perspective)

4) Sansa (from book 3, maybe 4. I don#t like her as a character, but by now her story is the one that has me at the edge of my seat most. I want to know where it ends.)

5) Jon (another very interesting story shaping here, and he is so much like his father, repeating the journey Ned was going through 20 years in the past, which is a fascinating angle)

Honorable mention: Jaime (he doesn't make the list, but in book 4 his story is the most interesting and he is almost the last POV left who's clever and fun to read. also, it's kind of fun how this man without a conscience finds out that actually he _might_ have one after all - at least when he sees what he did was for naught)

Worst:

1) Dany (first of all, with the start of book 2 - I liked her a lot in book 1 - her story becomes a kind of freak show of one weird city state after the other and Dany herself takes a fast track down the path to Mary Sue. Boring. Only her subtly veiled solipsism that hints of her Targaryen madness makes it even worth reading.)

2) Samwell (it isn't that he is annoying, I like him. But with book 4, his story took a fast turn for the utterly pointless and that's boring.)

3) Victarion (boring. Why should this even interest me? Jaime fulfills the same kind of character niche - ruthless character who's not so ruthless as he would like - but unlike Vic he has some originality.)

4) Arianne (Cersei for pedestrians. Almost as crazy, just with a lot less style.)

5) Aeron Damphair (Actually, he's not that bad. A fanatic is always interesting to read, but the Ironborn storyline is so unsympathetic and boring... He's wasted on this plot.)

BEST:

DAVOS

TYRION, perhaps Martin's favorite character. His POV in Books 1 + 2 is amazing.

JON

EDDARD

BRAN, particularly in books 1 and 3. i clearly remember the exhilaration of him climbing, and the horror of his undoing. it's what kept me reading the books.

WORST

Arya's chapters, despite their general awesomeness are some of the least well-written ones in the books, imho. She's a 12 year old girl, but she isn't written like one.

CERSEI, superfluous and add little to the story. we should hate her and she's stupid. we got that a LONG time ago

SAM (book 4 only--merely an exercise in world building. until Sam gets on the Summer Islander ship, the plot doesn't advance at all, and his conclusion in Oldtown is way too fast)

I kinda like more POVs than not, so I'll leave it at that.

Interesting.....

In no particular order:

Best:

Davos - I liked him straightaway. He feels like a real Everyman.

Tyrion - Fascinating dude. I'm really invested in his character development now.

Brienne - My painfully awkward inner 13 year old girl really relates to her.

Worst:

Bran - I find his chapters quite dull - nothing much happens.

Jon - eventful storyline but unfortunately his personality sends me to sleep.

Sansa - only since AFFC when GRRM decided to put her into a holding pattern for an entire year! *snoooooooze....* I enjoyed her before.

Best:

1. Jaime (Definitely the most fascinating character in ASOIAF)

2. Arya (Her transformation from feisty little kid to traumatized child soldier. Plus, we meet villains like Roose Bolton, Amory Lorch and GREGOR from her POV)

3. Tyrion (Of course)

4. Eddard (We see the politics of Westeros from a naive outsider's POV)

5. Catelyn (Many major events happen in her POV, such as the Robb's coronation, Renly's death and the Red Wedding)

Worst:

1. Arianne (A spoiled little bitch whose storyline led exactly nowhere, since Doran would make her his heir anyway)

2. Arys Oakheart (He has no purpose at all, except as character development for Arianne)

3. Samwell (I don't want to read about him being scared and pissing in his pants all the time)

4. Jon (Like someone else said, his personality puts me to sleep)

5. Cersei (There are a lot of psychos in ASOIAF, but none are as fucking tedious and boring as her)

The one POV which I'm sure brings a groan from me is definitely Daenerys. Sometimes Bran too, and possibly even Jon.

As for a gleeful cheer, Jaime definitely earns one. Sansa as well.

lol @ OP for having Sansa in the "Worst" category o_o

The one POV which I'm sure brings a groan from me is definitely Daenerys. Sometimes Bran too, and possibly even Jon.

As for a gleeful cheer, Jaime definitely earns one. Sansa as well.

lol @ OP for having Sansa in the "Worst" category o_o

Everything Sansa did in AGOT was incredibly frustrating, naive, or stupid. I prefer the new Sansa aka Alaine, but damn was Sansa annoying in the first few books.

I love all of the POV characters, so instead of giving a list, I'm going to talk about why I loved reading Cersei's chapters from AFFC.

Reading Cersei was so fucking awesome. She spent the entire book running around in circles, plotting and criticizing. It was so perfect reading about how she no longer trusted Pycelle because he no longer had a beard, forget all the reasons why it would be logical to want to get rid of him, it was because his once majestic beard failed to grow back to it's full glory.

Burning down the Tower of the Hand was a treat and it actually served as a good metaphor for Cersei's reign. One of my favourite parts of the series is where Cersei is with the Small Council explaining that they now have different titles modelled after the titles of the Free Cities. I think the Master of Coin was now the Treasurer, title changes! How trivial. The whole time she is angrily talking about how she should have been born as a man and that she is Tywin's daughter when all she is doing is training Tommen to stamp contracts without reading them.

At one point in the book, the council was filled with entirely new people, and I was thinking to myself, "Who the hell is Harys Swift? This is fucking awesome!" She's actually giving power to the Inquisitors and she has no idea how much of a bad idea it is.

I'm sorry for the train of thought style post, but Cersei is a seriously underrated POV.

Archived