Brienne's one word.

Sun Tzu

I'm not sure what the word is, but I think the "Gravedigger" will spring her from the clutches of UnCat... she may have just glimpsed the Hound enter the cave to butcher her captors and free her. Think about it - he most likely overheard the nature of Brienne's quest when she was on the Quiet Isle and once she and her party left Sandor expressed his thanks to the Silent Brothers and saddled up Stranger and tracked them... ol' Sandor has some sort of connection with Sansa and I think his concern for her whereabouts might be enough to get him to leave his new quiet life.

Maybe Brienne sees him slip quietly into the cavern with sword in hand and screamed his name.... or a plea for help. Who knows? But I would so love it if the Hound laid the boots to Cat and her crew...

I am sure the Freys they hung did alot of yelling "wait" or "stop". Didn't do them much good so if that is Brienne's one word then it was her last word.

Best out loud laugh I have had today. Thank you.

• 3 months later...

Because she is the new leader of the BwB who had Arya in their possession for half of ASoS. And because in the epilogue of ASoS the BwB were questioning Merritt Frey, in her presence, to see if he knew where Sandor and Arya had gone.

However, it is open to question as to whether she thinks Arya is still alive. The BwB may well have tracked Arya to as far as Saltpans, which was more or less wiped off the map not long after Arya passed through it.

• 2 months later...
Saphires... it's saved her before.

Thapphireth, my good sir, thapphireth. :P

But seriously, as much as I hope otherwise, I think it's probably going to be "sword". I kind of wish it could be something like "Arrgh!" "Gravedigger" and "Sandor" are pretty cool ideas though.

I hope it's Sword, cause otherwise all her chapters were for nothing, really. UnCat doesn't seem like the kind of "person" who would accept anything other than the terms as she's laid them out. Anything but Sword would have Brienne swinging from a tree, which accomplishes very little in terms of narrative.

The only viable alternatives to me are "Sword", or "Sandor", "sword" has been well discussed, but if somehow Brienne figured out Sandor was at the monastaryshe knows they are looking for him.

Seems like an odd time to realise that Sandor is the gravedigger. But you never know, her life may flash before her and she may put the pieces together.

Killing Sandor would be, like killing Jaime, an oath she couldn't fulfill. But she wouldn't know that yet :) .

• 1 month later...

Okay, I am new to the board and just finished aFfC's. I was suprised that you could all get her final word wrong, however. Being enlightened, I shall share. Remember that Breinne and Cat spoke often and had a long journy together back to Rob. They had to have exchanged banter about where they came from, friends and family. So here is the final word:

"HODORRRRRRRRR"

When Stoneheart hears the cry, she realizes how fricken retarded she is being and cuts the rope, then precedes to cut off her own head, finishing the Freys job.

To be honest though, I understand how everyone thinks it is sword. I get that. I see how it would be a moral delima and a very interesting plot twist. The only problem I have is that it is so plain and simple.. I heard people say that it would be the hound, all the talk about the gravedigger, though I like to think or hope he may fight ungregor as the churches champion (I think it would be sweet to see the hound finally get that vengence, but only after he has become a man of the clothe, in the end finding the vengence bitter to his taste and realizing he didn't really want it. Perhaps pittying his brother, but beating the unbeatable warrior.) Though I did find it odd how much the priests talked about the horse, stranger, and how it still had the hound in him. How the beast would not be gentled by anyone. I find it highly unlikely, but I think it would be cool, if the final word was instead "Stranger". It would be cool also because stranger is such an evil word to them, the 7th god not mentioned. Or even to call it driftwood, and the horse to save her by riding beneath her as she hung, thus pulling the noose off her neck and saving pod and maybe hyle (spellings I am sure I am getting wrong, sorry). I just don't like how obvious sword is, and as a writer I would strive to do the unexpected.

I realize the real word will most likely be sword, but I like to point out new ideas.

HOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Archived