Brienne's one word.

Sun Tzu

I have no books with me so here I go with my new, and changed theory. Some one posted that they think UnCat was not with the BWB at the hanging. I remember Thoros telling Brienne about how things was better with Dondarrion.

So I think her one word is Dondarrion reminding the BWB that they are currently working for some one not as worthy, and rather evil. If Thoros is there, and UnCat is not it is a possablility.

What's Thoros going to do? Even if he doesn't agree, he's outnumbered, isn't he. But I also wonder if Stoneheart is even present at the hanging. I don't remember her being mentioned by

anyone.

So if Stoneheart isn't there...and we remember Martin wrote "word" not "name" what could possibly sway the host except something like "Yes" or maybe "sword"

What's Thoros going to do? Even if he doesn't agree, he's outnumbered, isn't he. But I also wonder if Stoneheart is even present at the hanging. I don't remember her being mentioned by

anyone.

So if Stoneheart isn't there...and we remember Martin wrote "word" not "name" what could possibly sway the host except something like "Yes" or maybe "sword"

I don't think Thoros is the only one who is on the big D's side. I know Lem probley favors Stoneheart, and a few others however after her defense of the kids she may have befriended a few. Gendry, and "Legs" (can't remember her name) for a few.

Also differences between a "name", and "word" are the same as splitting hairs.

I thought it was fairly obvious that Brienne yelled "YES!", thus accepting Hyle Hunt's proposal and forcing un-Cat to throw them all a wedding shower. She's a sneaky one, that Brie.

That's pretty funny.

I have no books with me so here I go with my new, and changed theory. Some one posted that they think UnCat was not with the BWB at the hanging. I remember Thoros telling Brienne about how things was better with Dondarrion.

So I think her one word is Dondarrion reminding the BWB that they are currently working for some one not as worthy, and rather evil. If Thoros is there, and UnCat is not it is a possablility.

I don't think that Cat cares anything about Beric. I think that she still cares about her remaining children.

I don't think that Cat cares anything about Beric. I think that she still cares about her remaining children.

It not the fact that Cat cares one ounce about Beric, but more about the fact that she may not even be there and the ones that are do.

Lord Selwyn the Evenstar. I don't think anyone's actually called him Lord Tarth in the books.

I knew that his name started with an "S." I don't know why I was going to call him Silverweed...wasn't that the rabbit in Watership Down that composed poems about the rabbit traps?

Those whom expect the word to be "Arya" need to remember something, I think. If we're assuming Brienne actually gets out of this situation she's found herself in, the word must not only be something that motivates the Brotherhood Without Banners to cut her down, but something that keeps them from not just stringin' her right back up after she explains herself. Her information about Arya's whereabouts would be absolutely nothing new to them. They knew it was Sandor Clegane who had made off with her, because they were the group he stole her from to begin with. The only news she could offer them is, perhaps, that they were last seen "somewhere on the way to Saltpans", but that's hardly specific. What would stop Lady Stoneheart from not just saying, "Tell me something I don't know, oathbreaker," and having her hanged again?

Those whom expect the word to be "Arya" need to remember something, I think. If we're assuming Brienne actually gets out of this situation she's found herself in, the word must not only be something that motivates the Brotherhood Without Banners to cut her down, but something that keeps them from not just stringin' her right back up after she explains herself.]

Well that now leaves us back at square one again. It is true and I have often wondered because I was one of the people who thought that she might have said Arya or Sansa but as I have also alluded to before, these same men once had Arya when Beric was still alive. I don't think that there could be anything that she could say to the brotherhood that would make THEM cut her down. I think that it has to be something of worth to Cat because they appear to follow what Stoneheart commands.

I don't think Thoros is the only one who is on the big D's side. I know Lem probley favors Stoneheart, and a few others however after her defense of the kids she may have befriended a few. Gendry, and "Legs" (can't remember her name) for a few.

Also differences between a "name", and "word" are the same as splitting hairs.

It may be splitting hairs but why not just write name? Maybe it is a name but I think Morgorth above is correct. Stoneheart already has pretty much the same info on Arya and Brienne's does not know where Sansa is? So what would be the point to shouting their names if you have nothing to add.

I wouldn't hold out much hope for Brienne getting support from the assorted peasant population in BWB. Stoneheart may have risen from the dead but she's not inherently magical, she has not particular magic ability to control those around her. She can't make them stay as far as I can see. If "Legs" chose to run off what would stop her. Like those French peasants who sat at the steps and counted the heads of the aristocracy during the French Revolution, they're there because they want to be.

The peasant population in the Riverlands had the boots put to them

Peasant lot in Westeros wasn't all that great to begin with (Micah anyone??) and thanks to war

it's now worse. They have no reason on this planet not to follow Stoneheart. And in the big picture, they don't have the info we do?

They don't know Brienne from a hole in the wall and she still carrys a sword with the Lannister lion on it and the Lannisters are the ones who put the boots to them.

Now it has been mentioned before that perhaps the word (also a name) could be "Ice", Ned's sword.

Stoneheart spent a lot of time studying the sword, as it's written

studying the Lion's hilt but how could she not notice that

Valyarian steel was shot through the blade. Or anyone close enough to get a look at the sword. Then you look at the company,

former men of Beric Dondarrian as well as Thoros. Certainly a few would know the name of the sword Ned carried, Thoros most certainly knew. (and as my kid has my book refresh my memory,

is he present at the hanging??)

So now you have a word, also a name, that might mean something to more people than just to Stoneheart, especially important if she isn't present at the hanging.

Enough that they might want to cut her down to find out what the hell she's on about.

Then she tells how this is Lord Stark's sword, melted down and made into this one and given to Brienne to save Lord Stark's daughter.

That story and then (pure speculation on my part) perhaps Thoros finally having something to persuade Stoneheart with (this was your husband's sword...blah blah) might be enough to keep Brienne alive into the next book.

Or maybe I'm way off base and her last word was "Rosebud". :D

Maybe it is a name but I think Morgorth above is correct. Stoneheart already has pretty much the same info on Arya and Brienne's does not know where Sansa is? So what would be the point to shouting their names if you have nothing to add.

I cannot believe that somebody has agreed with me.

maybe her last word was simply "jaime" and she dies

and george is having a good laugh at our expense as we try to figure it out (or maybe secretly scribbling down some of the cleverer ideas ;) )

Nah...he wouldn't have wasted all of the time and energy on her character to kill her off like that. She still has work to do. She has unfinished business. I don't think that Martin comes to this website at all.

she yalled: "lol"...

I believe we get a clue on this in an earlier chapter - "sword" is the word which lingers in Brianne's mind since her last near death experiance with the Biter fight when she thought "why, it almost look like a sword..." and all the other explanations make sense...

well they do say great minds think alike and fools seldom differ, morgoth? :D

yes that is so. although i wouldn't consider myself a great mind on this topic so we must be fools!

So Brienne won't die then?

As a known fact? I cannot say that she'll die. Will she die at some other part in the story? I think it's highly possible or maybe she'll live to see the end result and be a sworn sword of whoever sits the throne. But for the purpose at hand I do not believe that Brienne will die here. I don't believe it one bit.

So Brienne won't die then?

I don't think she's dying at the order of Stoneheart either because Brienne is one of two to three characters so far, (Sam Tarly and oddly enough Jaime Lannister) who have been out and about, seen a lot of different stuff and can be the ones to start pulling the story together.

Sooner or later it's got to happen and who's going to do it...Tyrion...

he's on his way to Braavos, Jon's on the Wall, Bran's heading north, etc etc....

Even if they haven't quite the smarts to put things together, they can

tell people who do.

Mind that doesn't mean their getting out of the series alive.

Archived