Brienne's one word.

Sun Tzu

Can't see what Arya the assassin-in-training might do with the remnants of her dad's sword???

Stick in Cersei perhaps????

And I never said UnCat would hand out the sword. I said "someone"

With all the speculating about various BWB members maybe not liking their present circumstances......you don't think it's possible taking Ned's sword and handing it off to someone like Jon or Arya should they happen by.

All I'm saying is like Jaime's burning the letter, Brienne's one word could mean something or not a blinking a thing and if she's cut down it's for some other reason.

We're always saying Martin does the unexpected.....

well...that the word means squat would be unexpected.

I know what she would do with the sword but I don't see Arya going back to KL for some time. She has much training to do in the temple of the many faced god. Arya couldn't even lift the sword anyway.

When would Jon happen by, pray tell? Jon is on the Wall commanding the Night's Watch with a pretty god sword of his own "LONGCLAW!"

There is no doubt in my mind. Brienne will not die at the end of that rope because of the word that she says. That word has EVERYTHING to do with it (do I hear an echo in here?). Why would he waste the final sentence of that chapter like that?

However, there is something that you've said that I do agree with and that's Martin will do the unexpected as always but I don't think the unexpected has a place in this particular scenarion. He ended the chapter with Brienne shouting out a word. Brienne will be cut down and it will be from what she says. Maybe what she says will buy her some more time to explain things but it will ultimately be what she says that stops the lynching.

why would he take the time to tell us Jaime burned a letter if it didn't mean anything.

Which is some of the logic behind the idea that Jaime has abandoned Cersei when all I see is a guy throwing something in the fire.

And as to how Arya could get her hands on the sword.....well I'm not going there because the idea came to me when I read the spoiler posted above.

If accurate...there's a very reasonable way Arya might wind up with her dad's sword. And neither of us know if Jon is going to stay on the Wall? Nor does he have to leave if some soul decided to take the sword to him. (three more books and plenty of time)

The thing is throughtout this series....a person's sword has meant a great deal, to them and to their families ...hence the whole thing about Brienne saving Ned's daughter with Ned's (Jaime says that doesn't he) sword.

And there is another sword made from Ice I believe kicking around somewhere, I can't remember who's got it.

Considering it's importance in this series and to the various

characters within it, I can't believe at some point no Stark kid is going to get their hands on what's left of their father's sword and stick it in who might deserve it most.

But that's off topic and I stand by the idea that the word could be important (and mind changing) or not important at all, as the intention may well have been not to hang but to apply pressure to get Brienne to do what Stoneheart wants.

Again, after reading through all the theories there really isn't one standout "word" that would convince anyone truly bent on hanging Brienne not to.

Making me wonder if the hanging was more to apply the most pressure on Brienne in the hope she'd finally agree to Stoneheart's demands(the other two I expect are expendable)

SPOILER: MAJOR ADWD/TWOW

Brienne will not die where she is left in AFFC or she will come back through R'hllor. GRRM let slip at a signing I attended that Brienne will meet Tyrion.

Is there anyone else who can confirm this?

I'm very surprised that with all of the people who've reread that section, no one has mentioned this. Don't have the book with me right now, but I finished my reread last night. Brienne draws in a breath to say the word, and its described as the greatest pain she's ever felt (or something along those line). Let's see, she's got a broken arm, some busted ribs, and half her face has been eaten off. Somehow, I don't think saying noose would pain her much. But betraying someone who she has come to admire and possibly love just might. Thoughts? And if anyone out there posts from a place where they can get the exact quote, I'd sure appreciate it.

Somehow, I don't think saying noose would pain her much. But betraying someone who she has come to admire and possibly love just might.

Well, most of us think she says "Sword", which means she agrees to killing Jaime. The intake of breath while being strangled is physically painful, and vowing to kill the man she loves is emotionally painful.

I think she said, "Arya."

She had been tracking Sansa and instead had found the Hound and Arya's trail. And she had found out from the monk (sorry cant remember the GRRM word) that treated the Hound as he dided that Arya was rying to reach an ocean port to take a ship to Jon at the Wall.

Just a nother of the crack pot theories.

I think she said, "Arya."

She had been tracking Sansa and instead had found the Hound and Arya's trail. And she had found out from the monk (sorry cant remember the GRRM word) that treated the Hound as he dided that Arya was rying to reach an ocean port to take a ship to Jon at the Wall.

Just a nother of the crack pot theories.

Well, as it had been said few times on this thread, the whereabouts of Arya are not news to Cat or the BwB. Regardless, Brienne's options are two: Sword or Jaime. That's the cross-raod Cat offered her to make her mind about. That's the impasse of loyalties Brienne is facing. That's the issue at core - with Brienne as with so many other characters in ASOIF.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi

I'am long time reader on this board, but this is as You can see My first post. Please pardon My english since I'am from Croatia

Thare is one word that Brienne might feel could save Her life :mellow: just like it saved to thousends before Her.

It could be either of 3, but they all will send the same idea:

Nightwatch

Wall

Black

Lannisters refused same plea to Her beloved Eddard and if She did the same to Brienne than Catelyn is no better than Joffrey

If Her plea would be answered than perhaps it could trigger the whole Brienne vs Stannis storyline.

I really think She could demand to put on black

(Btw. Don't forget how strong was connection between north (Winterfell) and The Wall

Unfortunately, I don't think Stoneheart (UnCat) cares much about manning the Wall at this point, if she ever did. Her vengeance is the only thing that matters to her.

And I'd have to agree with others on this board that if any word would sway Stoneheart, it may be something to do with killing Jaime.

Who knows, though? You could be as right as any of us! ;)

I too think she says "sword," but welcome to the board! Good to have someone from Croatia adding perspective... The idea of the wall is a new one to me (at least), and is possible. I just think that GRRM will put Brienne into the situation of love vs. honoring a vow.

Question: Whatever the word is (personally, I'm in the "sword" camp), how do you think Brienne's next chapter will be written? Do you think we'll actually see her yell out the word, get cut down, have a conversation with UnCat, etc. or do you think we'll join her on the road somewhere, on her way to Kingslanding or Riverrun looking for Jaime, and we'll see the scene later through a flashback? Or will we see her from someone else's perspective? Maybe we won't see her until she is suddenly standing before Jaime.

snip...or do you think we'll join her on the road somewhere, on her way to Kingslanding or Riverrun looking for Jaime, and we'll see the scene later through a flashback? Or will we see her from someone else's perspective? Maybe we won't see her until she is suddenly standing before Jaime.

Yah, I hope it'll be done as a few-page flashback on her way to find Jaime, if only to give the opportunity to advance the story a month or two without having to describe every bloody second of his PoVs' lives.

I hope the word will be "oathbreaker."

Archived