New Exercise and Fitness Thread

cjfshaw

I started a new thread because the old one was at 21 pages. So anyway...

I tried deadlifting today without rounding my back at all, proper form, low weight, slow movement, muscles tight...and it did not feel good. I felt a painful compression in my lower back. Then I tried doing them weightless, but following the same motion as if I was using a barbell, even weightless I felt this painful compression just to a lesser degree. Uh-oh...

I did a local crossfit challenge yesterday. I participated in the affiliate challenge (team of four) with the following WODs:

WOD 1:

400m walking lunge with a 45 pd weight plate. The plate could be switched between the members, but everyone had to lunge the whole time.

Upon completion of the lunges we did:

250 tire flips and 250 jump throughs (done at the same time, flip, jump, flip, jump)

WOD 2:

100 225pd Dead lifts (guys) 175 pd Dead lifts (gals)

200 45 pd overhead squats (with a plate, not a bar.. little different movement)

300 45 pd thrusters (with the bar)

400 box jumps

All the motions could be split between the group on the 2nd WOD

I'm miserable today. I can barely walk.

Ran a whopping 15 miles this weekend, at 10:50 per mile pace. To beat the heat (and to avoid the Chicago Air and Water show crowd) I ran at 5:45 am. Felt pretty good nearly the whole time!

Link to my run

So that's about 2 hours and 45 minutes of running, burning like 2200 calories.

Marathon training is back on schedule. Also, got some new headphones that really helped, (sweat proof) and stopped at the numerous water fountains along the Lakeshore path rather than taking a water bottle.

Just got back from a week of windsurfing in Dahab. I must have been on the water for at least four hours a day for six days and I'm bloody exhausted. Happy, relaxed and fulfilled, but exhausted. For those who don't know Dahab, it's something of a windsurfing Mecca on the Sinai coast. The summer water temperature barely ever dips below thirty degrees and the sea breeze kicks in consistently every morning for perfect conditions.

I did a local crossfit challenge yesterday. I participated in the affiliate challenge (team of four) with the following WODs:

WOD 1:

400m walking lunge with a 45 pd weight plate. The plate could be switched between the members, but everyone had to lunge the whole time.

Upon completion of the lunges we did:

250 tire flips and 250 jump throughs (done at the same time, flip, jump, flip, jump)

WOD 2:

100 225pd Dead lifts (guys) 175 pd Dead lifts (gals)

200 45 pd overhead squats (with a plate, not a bar.. little different movement)

300 45 pd thrusters (with the bar)

400 box jumps

All the motions could be split between the group on the 2nd WOD

I'm miserable today. I can barely walk.

Sounds super gay.

I got a new toy!

This custom-built cadillac is a beauty. It is 9 feet long (extra special and unusual), but short enough that I can reach the metal top poles to move things around from the floor while teaching. Usually I have to jump up and down from the cadillac bed to move things around because I am sort of short.

It's a great ride, too. Been practicing lots of inversions on it, and having fun!

I got a new toy!

This custom-built cadillac is a beauty. It is 9 feet long (extra special and unusual), but short enough that I can reach the metal top poles to move things around from the floor while teaching. Usually I have to jump up and down from the cadillac bed to move things around because I am sort of short.

It's a great ride, too. Been practicing lots of inversions on it, and having fun!

You know seastarr... looking at that pic and subsequently reading the rest of your post I'm still quite not sure if this means you're now in the torture/S&M business or not? :)

It's probably just me again. Where others see clinical equipment I see potential for some kinky stuff.

http://warriordash.com/register2010_rockies.php

Anyone ever done one of these? I got signed up for one this weekend and don't really know what to expect.

I'm thinking about doing this onewith my wife, though we both need to get in better shape for it.

We rebuilt one of the rooms in our house into a work out area and started p90x a few days ago. It's not throwing huge amounts of weight around, but I like the muscle confusion aspect as well as being able to keep my wife motivated to complete the workouts. We'll see where it takes us in 90 days.

You know seastarr... looking at that pic and subsequently reading the rest of your post I'm still quite not sure if this means you're now in the torture/S&M business or not? :)

It's probably just me again. Where others see clinical equipment I see potential for some kinky stuff.

Wait...I thought you knew. I have ALWAYS been in the pleasurable torture business. The cadillac is the best torture though. So many ways to tie and hang people. And then I can push them around with my feet.

Leg day yesterday. Shitty day. I know it was shitty cuz my thighs couldn't feel each other. All the squat racks were taken for the first 45 minutes I was there so I spent that time jogging, stretching, then doing wind sprints for 35 mins, shitty shitty shitty

ETA -

Question. Our boot camp is doing a 5K run next Saturday am...should I eat anything beforehand? I was thinking of a Power Bar immediately beforehand, and some coffee...or should I eat a full meal an hour or so before? Or be fasting?

I've never done a run of any real distance (2 mile max, previously).

Chataya,

Every runner can be different on this. If I'm running in the morning, I don't really like to eat anything before I go. But my best friend who was a national marathon qualifier (with a time of 2:36 for the marathon) always has a bagel with cream cheese over an hour before his work outs.

For your 5k, it depends on what time in the morning it is. If its super early, like 7 am or something, I would probably just eat a carb-heavy meal of pasta the night before and skip breakfast. If its like 10 am or later, maybe a banana or bagel at 7am wouldn't hurt.

hi ho, greetings everyone. seastarr, your new toy looks lovely. Trisky, yet on the stick with the pullups, pallie.

I worked out last week with my friend the deadlift guy, who immediately upped my max by another 10 pounds. It seems the collars they use in the dungeon gym are 5 lbs a piece. Also, the plates are all odd sizes instead of the standardized ones in the McGym, so its hard to know how much I'm lifting unless I count. Lastly, when you reach a sticking point in a deadlift, it really helps to have someone shouting at you "STAND UP!!" :P

Also, I had a physical done at work yesterday which came out about as expected. (side note that though I work for a financial corporation, which is by definnition, evil, they do provide free annual physicals and health consultations) I found that my ldl is borderline not-awesome, and my hdl could be higher. My systolic was also borderline not-awesome, but I attribute that to having my usual morning coffee a couple hours earlier. I told the person (doctor? physicians assistant? nurse? never really figured that out, but she seemed to have some basic medical training) about my lifting program, and she suggested more cardio, which I cant really disagree with. Also, I need more omega-3 fatty acids (ugh, that means fish), fiber, and fresh vegetables. My BMI number came out as "overweight" using the simple height/ weight ratio, but the doc/ nurse/ PA said not to worry about it given that it aint all fatback on this little piggy.

Bench day tommorrow with B., hopefully with his help I can bump that up a little bit too. Currently I have 40 pounds left to go on bench, 55 on deadlift, and 40 on squat to reach my goals.

I've been back in the pool. Swimming a mile 3x a week. (M,W,F) I want to bring my bike up to campus to ride on T, Th but it's been raining non-stop since Sunday. Of course my new regime will probably go to hell after Sept 8 when I have to start leaving the office at 3 to get Henry off the bus.

Archived