ASoIaF mod for Mount & Blade Warband

Deas

Hi everyone,

Posting this here on behalf of the team behind the ASoIaF mod for the PC game Mount & Blade Warband. Can't mod myself but as a big fan of the books and the game Warband I thought I'd help them out somehow.

Check it out at http://forums.talewo...c,194575.0.html. In my opinion this is easily the most interesting ASoIaF mod so far. I loved the Westeros Total War mod and spent hours with it, but Mount & Blade is just a more suiting game than for ASoIaF than Total War.

Screenshots and videos: http://rusmnb.ru/index.php?PHPSESSID=d1e42ba41389dcaa10fdef3c71970077&topic=16603.msg648318#msg648318 (there'll be an English version as well as Russian).

Mount & Blade started out as an indie game developed by Tale Wolds (www.taleworlds.com). They've been working on the game for years and it has grown immensly in popularity. The latest verion (expansion) is called Warband, introducing multiplayer in addition to tons of other improvements.

Think Pirates meets Oblivion and Total War, kind of. It's an RPG with character traits and with you controlling one single unit, but also an RTS as there can be battles with hundreds of units. It takes place in an open sandbox world and the overview map and possibility to explore the world doing pretty much anything is very similar to Pirates. Imagine playing Total War but playing one single unit with great fighting controls (excellent, really). Just like in Total War you've got the overview map with castles, cities, settlements and different regions, the lords, kings, companions, ladies, armies, fighting factions and big battles and so on. You can play solo but also rise in the favour of a lord and/or king, join that faction and war the others, control armies, conquer castles, court ladies, raze and plunder and so on. There are tourneys, units typical for the setting, sieges...well, I can go on.

It is the perfect game for a ASoIaF mod. That was one of the first things I thought about when I first discovered it. This guy at Escapist Magazine feels the same way in his notice about the game before relase (scroll down just a little).

I just wanted to share this for those of you wanting ASoIaF gaming. Warband is the perfect game for it. All the ingredients are there, they just have to transform Warband's world (Calradia) into Westeros. Imagine scenes like the Mountain crashing into your lines, or dueling Jaime at the end of a battle. The game mechanics makes it possible for these to look and fight according to their characters. If you've got skills valuable for the mod team do let them know, as there are lots of things to do. Just say hi and say what you can do on the forum and one of the modders active on the project will answer. As far as I know they need help with creating scenes, modeling, reskinning and I'm sure several other things as well.

Those were the days... conquering Nightsong as the Dornish in .903 Mount&Blade ASoIaf.... Me and Oberyn beating Renly's 1000 man strong main force north of Yronwood, in an epic desert battle... Being ambushed by Mace Tyrell while looting a village near Highgarden, me defeating Ser Loras in a Jousting match, me fighting the wildlings and the others.... man, that was good.

If anybody wants to try out the old version, here is a link for M&B .903 :M&B .903 demo

And here is a link for the old ASoIaF mod:MBX forum - ASoIaF

The Warband expansion adds some cool features such as marriage into the game, making it even more ideal for an ASoIaF mod.

Sorry for double-posting, but shouldn't this mod be better off placed in the General section. It says that the "Objects of ice and fire" is for discussion of licensed ASoIaF objects. I saw other mods (an in-progress mod for Civ4) discussed in the general section... but then again, the Westeros TW is discussed here...

Sorry for double-posting, but shouldn't this mod be better off placed in the General section. It says that the "Objects of ice and fire" is for discussion of licensed ASoIaF objects. I saw other mods (an in-progress mod for Civ4) discussed in the general section... but then again, the Westeros TW is discussed here...

In addition to be able to marry Warband has improved an added tons of stuff. The latest version (1.31) is excellent. The graphics for exmaple are alot better now.

Don't know about forum section. Put it here as the Westeros mod was under this section.

Can't say anything specific about the jousting but would be surprised not to see it included if it was in the old mod.

With the new mod tools and improved core game the potential for the ASoIaF version is nothing but awesome. Just look at some of the multiplayer maps people are doing now. They're huge and gorgeous.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we don't have much time for work, but the mod is not dead, progress is beinig made slowly throughout the week and more quickly during weekends. One thing is for certain (by the way things seem today)... it will definitely be out BEFORE ADwD :P

Well, you could say that GRRM is our "role model"... we'll try not to get too in-character.

By the way things are going now, I think the major scenes should be done by december, so the unpolished version of the mod would be pretty much ready (once we get a semi-decent modder to fix a bug we have (every NPC just says surrender or die xD, and they don't leave their castles).

So to correct my former statement, the beta version of this mod should be out before ADwD.

Although it would be kinda nice, reading ADwD and playing warband at the same time, going to kill the characters that irritate you the most in Warband :P

• 4 weeks later...

While I found the .903 version to be too clunky or buggy for real enjoyment, I'm really anticipating this Warband version. Screenshots look magnificent, especially the castles!

Yeah, the old modding team had no time for scening, but they knew modelling, and scripting.... and we, as the new modding team, know only how to make scenes to some extent, and have one member capable of modding.

We're hoping that a beta version would attract some new recruits.

Archived