Calling all the kitchen knives aficionado

Waldo Frey

Wolverine, I used mine for everything in the kitchen. The only thing I butchered with it was poultry. It's especially good for that because you can get the point into a joint and the wider end can be used as a lever to pry the joint apart and simultaneously cut through the ligaments or tendons or whatever. I can see how it would be a great knife for field dressing. It's thicker than a chef knife and can take that type of abuse.

Well, I thought maybe detaching and deboning hind quarters to but it seems so big and awkward. I would definitely have to change my techniques as usually we skin and break everything down with something more akin to this when processing deer anyway. This probably has more to do with its portability and all purpose usability (gutting, skinning, deboning) than how good it is for any one purpose. I don't know if this is totally sinful or what, but I employ my filet knife for more nimble deboning and trimming quite often.

Well, I thought maybe detaching and deboning hind quarters to but it seems so big and awkward. I would definitely have to change my techniques as usually we skin and break everything down with something more akin to this when processing deer anyway. This probably has more to do with its all purpose usability (gutting, skinning, deboning) than how good it is for any one purpose.

that knife is that what a pro butcher might use. my father is a fan of just a couple hunting knives to butcher a deer.

i am more into the use of a large knife (like yags posted) as well as a smaller utility knife. trust me, a couple pro knives are far better than a hunting knife.

that knife is that what a pro butcher might use. my father is a fan of just a couple hunting knives to butcher a deer.

i am more into the use of a large knife (like yags posted) as well as a smaller utility knife. trust me, a couple pro knives are far better than a hunting knife.

Oh I believe you guys. I just would not know how to properly use them. I equate it a little bit to working construction. The job is so much easier if you have a better and often more specific tool.

Oh I believe you guys. I just would not know how to properly use them. I equate it a little bit to working construction. The job is so much easier if you have a better and often more specific tool.

you could absolutely learn.

i have actually learned that a sharper thinner longer blade is often far more nimble and dexterous than a shorter and thicker blade.

just realized i have the same cleaver. it was a gift a few years ago. it has never found use at work but i do use it at home a bit. i just have never attained the skill of using a cleaver.

lily, forget a stainless cleaver. just get your housemates to care properly for the knife you have (that you so kindly let them use). buying a stainless blade because they are too careless to treat a carbon blade with the respect it deserves only continues the problem. you have to keep buying dumbproof items and the cycle continues anew.

to that i say, not a fucking chance. everyone in your commune act as adults. wash and dry the carbon knife and put it away when done.

don't make me come down there.

I usually give mine a little rub-down with rape oil after I dry it, too. It lives close enough to the sink that I am concerned about splash damage.

just realized i have the same cleaver. it was a gift a few years ago. it has never found use at work but i do use it at home a bit. i just have never attained the skill of using a cleaver.

lily, forget a stainless cleaver. just get your housemates to care properly for the knife you have (that you so kindly let them use). buying a stainless blade because they are too careless to treat a carbon blade with the respect it deserves only continues the problem. you have to keep buying dumbproof items and the cycle continues anew.

to that i say, not a fucking chance. everyone in your commune act as adults. wash and dry the carbon knife and put it away when done.

don't make me come down there.

Anytime! Had a huge laugh. You would absolutely terrify the 24 year old and the baby. Luckily the adults will be back next month and hopefully the baby will be out by the end of the year.

THEN WE CAN HAVE NICE THINGS!!!!

Ok, drunk cooking last night and I got a little sloppy with the cleaver. I successfully removed a square centimeter of skin from skin from my left middle finger's top digit.

RESPECT THE CLEAVER! IT IS AMAZING FOR SKINNING LONG PORK!

I was totally impressed. I can't wait to get this thing sharpened.

• 2 months later...

Soooo, this wonderful replacement for my long lost all purpose knife showed up in the mail. I have burned through vegetables playing with my new toy!

Thank you INI!!!!!!!!

I have also lapsed into my old terrible mom-cooking knife habits. Nobody is ever allowed to see me chop vegetables.

Currently have a lentil soup and a chicken stock on the stove. Ran out of carrots to chop....again.

• 1 month later...

i am taking this knife for a test drive for the next week to see if i wish to add it to my arsenal.

i love my carbon knives. they sharpen easily. but, i need a super quality stainless blade that will stay sharp a lot longer. the carbon knives dull a lot faster than a stainless knife.

sometimes i am shocked by how long i have a knife in my hand each day.

Archived