Video Games Megathread Number A Billion

Inigima

Went to the midnight launch near me and my car stalled as I was leaving. Awkward call home at 1am for a boost.

I'm not going to play it tonight, even though I'm not very tired and have a relatively free schedule tomorrow. Looks damn good though, and it's tempting.

So I'm replaying Mass Effect 2. It's my second replay attempt; my first I abandoned because the adept seemed horrendously underpowered. I was kicking my ass kicked on Veteran, and normal wasn't interesting. Now that I'm doing a Vanguard, I'm not having any difficulties on hardcore. Weird.

I never got into adepts which kinda makes me sad' date=' though I never got to play a high level one. Part of the problem is that the game actually gets easier the further you get because of upgrades (hp upgrades, damage reduction upgrades, weapon/power damage upgrades, power cooldown decreasing upgrades) and because you actually get access to decent powers when you are a high level. I mean for instance I struggled so hard with my Vanguard until I could power up my charge to restore my shields. I guess this is especially true with power focused classes when you need those powers to be decent if you want to get anywhere with them.

Edit: And based on their lengths they might be worth it, maybe. But 5 hours max for ~£10 is still a lot. And before someone says "but Poobah, most games these days are only x hours long and cost x so this is a great deal" well guys I don't buy 99% of games released these days because they contain fuck all content and are a massive rip off and are usually clones of one another or vastly generic and otherwise shit. I think most massive games companies like EA and Activision should fuck off and die before they irredeemably corrupt the entire industry. [/quote']

I always imported level 60 characters, so getting to a higher level relatively early in the game wasn't an issue. Adepts might have the biggest problems on insanity (though my engineer is stuck just after the prologue, I think. That class just bores me, it seems), but if you pick the right squadmates to complement them they're still pretty effective. The biggest problem I had with my adept was the infected mech production plant: no guns to take down the endlessly respawning enemies quickly enough, squadmates never do enough damage and their powers have too long a cooldown to be useful more than once.:bang:

I think LOTSB has about the same gameplay/money ratio as a decent expansion. Coupled with the fact that I have half a dozen characters (one of these days I'll continue the engineer...) I actually got quite a bit out of that.

Part of that is simple learning curve, I'd say. Also playing agressively is always better, particularly on higher difficulties where allowing enemies to position themselves and flank you will really hurt, and the adept naturally lends itself to a more defensive gameplay.

So I'm replaying Mass Effect 2. It's my second replay attempt; my first I abandoned because the adept seemed horrendously underpowered. I was kicking my ass kicked on Veteran, and normal wasn't interesting. Now that I'm doing a Vanguard, I'm not having any difficulties on hardcore. Weird.

Vanguards are just super fun ^_^

Just gotta be careful about when you charge sometimes, but yea they are nearly as tough as soldiers and can shotgun to the face people.

I always imported level 60 characters, so getting to a higher level relatively early in the game wasn't an issue. Adepts might have the biggest problems on insanity (though my engineer is stuck just after the prologue, I think. That class just bores me, it seems), but if you pick the right squadmates to complement them they're still pretty effective. The biggest problem I had with my adept was the infected mech production plant: no guns to take down the endlessly respawning enemies quickly enough, squadmates never do enough damage and their powers have too long a cooldown to be useful more than once.:bang:

I think LOTSB has about the same gameplay/money ratio as a decent expansion. Coupled with the fact that I have half a dozen characters (one of these days I'll continue the engineer...) I actually got quite a bit out of that.

I never understood why anyone would play an Engineer, or even a Sentinel to be honest. Adepts get singularity and some other cool biotic powers. Infiltrators get sniper rifles and cloaking. Vanguards get charge and shotguns. Soldiers get to win the game by default. And then Engineers get... a combat drone? Sentinels get... extra shields?

There seems to be a bit of a disparity there ;)

Just how much work has went into Halo: Reach's single-player in this campaign? I'm reluctant to pick it up as I'm not the type to spend time with the multi-player. I have bad memories with Halo 3, which I finished so quickly, I could've returned it to the store on the same day that I bought it.

I never understood why anyone would play an Engineer, or even a Sentinel to be honest. Adepts get singularity and some other cool biotic powers. Infiltrators get sniper rifles and cloaking. Vanguards get charge and shotguns. Soldiers get to win the game by default. And then Engineers get... a combat drone? Sentinels get... extra shields?

There seems to be a bit of a disparity there ;)

Sentinels are awesome. They are so durable they can be played as agressively as soldiers or vanguards while also having defense stripping powers for every possible enemy. A sentinel with Energy Drain fighting Geth is virtually indestructible: every time you hit an enemy with it your shields get boosted to close to 900, when they run low just throw out another drain. And if they really take down your shields, your assault armour explodes, knocks down everyone in your vicinity and refills your normal shields to 50%.

Engineers gets Incinerate, which is just guided, flaming death. Seriously, one-shotting stuff is fun.

EDIT: Also Overload. Which is awesome against geth and droids.

One-shotting anything with any power isn't gonna happen on insanity. And Energy Drain>Overload.

Will probably get Reach tomorrow, since I loved the Beta.

Just finished LOTSB on ME2 and had a ton of fun with it. Glad to see Liara in some large capacity, she wasn't ever my favorite squad mate, but she was always an interesting character and they really made her badass.

Playing Red Dead Redemption. Pretty fun, though the hunting stuff is really annoying, but I freaking NEED TO DO IT.

I felt the same way,but once you get all the hunting ones done, sharp shooting and gathering are a breeze and you get a pretty sweet outfit for it. Good luck with the bears.

Reach killed my Xbox :shocked: Seriously, my 360 freezes up again and again. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Almost certainly a coincidence. Everyone's Xbox dies when they're playing a lot of a new game, because they're playing their Xbox a lot, and then they ascribe it to the game. There will be a lot of people making posts like yours around the Internet over the next two weeks, I imagine.

Just how much work has went into Halo: Reach's single-player in this campaign? I'm reluctant to pick it up as I'm not the type to spend time with the multi-player. I have bad memories with Halo 3, which I finished so quickly, I could've returned it to the store on the same day that I bought it.

If your looking for a long single player campaign I would pass on Halo: Reach, wait for Fallot New Vegas or even Fable III. I've heard that the single player campaign is about 8-hours.

If your looking for a long single player campaign I would pass on Halo: Reach, wait for Fallot New Vegas or even Fable III. I've heard that the single player campaign is about 8-hours.

Come on now, lets at least look at it in terms of what genre it falls in. FPS are not generally 80 fucking hours long...they try to cram all of the fun into 8 or 10 hours. Comparing any FPS to Fallout or Fable is ridiculous.

In Fallout you can spend hours scrounging for the next best weapon. In Halo you can kick it off the corpse of your latest conquest and keep firing.

Archived