Belfast Moot 2

So are you all in the front bar, back bar or downstairs? Can't remem which section the snugs are in (I presume its upstairs tho)

Currently sitting in the office watching the minutes tick by and rain fall... another typical Beflast afternoon then!

I work for Macmillans publishers in website production for Nature Magazine. This is how I am able to get brand new books extremely cheap for the charity raffles.

I get paid quite well but not that highly to be honest. I can only really afford to come to Ireland because flights here from the UK are so cheap. I get one big trip a year which is for Worldcon. So if the show was being made in the US then I would not be at all these meet ups.

Ah ok. Thanks for responding. Yes, curse the US for its expensive filming locations and lack of castles! I take solace in the fact that despite being very far from the filming, we still get to see the show before you guys. :P

the party was incredible - and later we'll put up pictures and tell tall tales about all the fun we had.

But right now, I 'm really pissed off - the standards that were created for George's Feast of Love and Beauty in 2008 were stolen by someone or someones during the late evening, as well as at least one of the other standards - it may be the Truman Skull banner, I'll have more details in the morning. The standard with the 4 House designs on it is MINE. I screened the designs, I bought the materials, and helped put it together. It is on loan to the Bros, but it is my personal property.

So who ever out there who had a hand in the theft, or comes across them at some other event - be aware that those standards were created by myself and others to use at the Feast of Love & Beauty and earlier events hosted by the Bros.

We do not find it amusing or just a few kids playing around to have thee items stolen. We'll wait for 5 days for these items to be returned to either Ser MelT, a responsibile Belfast Bro, or other person of trust. If that occurs within the next five days, there will be no further repercussions. If they are not returned, Bad Things WIll Happen to the Thieves. I can promise you that.

this is not a joke. Please pass this message on to every GRRM-related web site, etc.

very pissed off about this sour end to a remarkable night.

Parris

Then I wandered off to find Samantha and instead found a long haired wild man with a big beard who said he would just follow me. He turned out to be Qthulu.

That shirt deserves a medal for Outstanding Services in Helping People Find the MootSnug.

5 of us still partying at Ser Mel T's friends house. Crodaldian, Lilsisorcha, Ser Mel T, her friend and me. Too wired and awake to sleep.

Was a great night with more stories to tell than I have time right now. A proper report coming tomorrow and a longer report at the weekend.

An excellent night.

Just pissed off about the Banners going missing - coming into work after such a good night, that was a bit of a kick in the teeth. Someone badly let the side down there.

Weird now to read the Board, and instead of just seeing boardnames, there are now faces to put to those names. Great meeting you all.

That's a real kick about the banners. I'll scour my photos to see if there are any clues to what happened to them. Presumably whoever took them is a fan and visits this board as well as WiC - so all we can do is appeal to their better judgement to return the banners as quickly as possible.

It was a great evening - and as others have said, it was great to put some faces to names (well apart from ezeqiel and Silverjaime - who helpfully already had their mug shots up). Had a great time chatting with everyone.

Atmsophere was great, and everyone was so approachable. Don't think I have ever been so star-struck (and that was just the extras).

Took quite a few photos, maybe not quite as many as I would have liked - didn't want to go too far and pretty well blind everyone with flash.

I'll have to process them at home tonight and I'll then post them - probably via my flickr account / website intially.

Jackie - I didn't get your email, you were deep in conversation as I left, but your photos will be with all the others, and should be up at some point this weekend. I'll post lower res. versions initially, then if there are any that people are interested in, I'll put up higher res versions.

Thanks to everyone involved for arranging the moot - and special thanks for all the cast/crew who took the time out to attend - and of course an extra special thanks for George and Parris.

Martin / Wyvernwood

What a downer about the banners! I can't believe a "fan" would do that! I didn't even notice they weren't there cos I was so star-struck at our lovely cast and crew......!

Hope you get them back soon.

Thanks to all who organised - especially Phil who sat for ages at the door while we were all partying!

Lovely to meet all the people behind the posts - I had the best time - best moment must be getting to meet Jamie Sives and being kissed on both cheeks!

All the guys were just lovely and seemed so happy to be there with us - a great night.

Ok, I'm sold. Cut me in half and I'll have G.O.T written right the way through (I'll also be dead so please don't test this theory!). To paraphrase Parris 'Enjoy this while it lasts'. I've been an extra/actor/stand-in/double for 9 years and I have never experienced anything like the relationship between the makers and the fans of GOT. Last night, there was no 'them and us'; there was just 'we'.

My night began with a lovely bowl of Stu (if you are in Ireland, you have to eat Stu!) in the company of my friend from work, Stephen, who is a massive fan of the books and who told me he had always wanted to meet GRRM and had come close on many occasions before. Actually yesterday was the due date of his 2nd child - that's a fan! Thankfully he met George later and baby No 2 hasn't arrived yet!

Downstairs and I met my lovely friend SilverJaime who was integral in pulling this night together (Robinsons was her idea). The mingling began in earnest and I caught up with alot of the Tourney extras in attendance. There were people conducting interviews, didn't ask me thought :(, and a TV crew from ITV were there. After a while the cast and GRRM & Parris arrived to a round of applause. I was amazed at how much of the cast were there. I didn't even know that many of them were in Belfast. It was also cool to see some crew there too. Nicola (our extras coordinator) was there and was telling me she had just gotten a few extra days as an Eyrie court woman.

A very cool monent was, while SilverJaime and I were talking with GOT Joe, GRRM came over and introduced himself to Joe and also introduced a lady called (I think) 'Moya' (I could have that wrong) who was a very important person from HBO. They then talked to Joe about how they had all watched and were impressed with his videos. It was great to be there at the moment when Joe may have finally began his journey to the seven kingdoms. Joe I loved meeting you and I really hope to be an extra in one of your scenes one day!

I then met the amazing Ran who had flown in just for one day. He was buzzing having just come back from a tour of the sets. 'I've still got Westeros mud on my boots!' he said. He was telling us about everything he saw and told us that he even got to sit in the Iron Throne!! I asked him if he got any cuts from it but he's ok.

The night progressed with a sea of cast, crew, extras & fans all evidently having a great time. At times I just stood and looked round at everyone chatting. At one point SilverJaime was chatting away with Finn Jones at the bar and Mark Addy was having a laugh with Miltos and some fans. Kristain was chatting away with a few guys. JacMac was getting her photo taken with Jamie Sives, etc etc.

At one point, I joined my good friend Dairmuid (Tourney Knight) upstairs with Miltos for a smoke break outside. I don't smoke but it was a chance to get some photos in decent light. I was so annoyed that I was surrounded by cast but the light was too poor to take photos downstairs.

Anyway, outside Dairmuid, myself and Miltos had a really great chat about the show and the fans. We were then joined by Eugene (Lancel) who was also in a very chatty mood. I was completely floored by how friendly and talkative these guys were. Believe me, they are as excited as anyone about being on the show and they have a respect for the fans that I really wasn't expecting, They said how they want to live up to the fans expectations and how the fans were every bit as important as the cast and crew. While we were talking, Jame Cosmo walked in to the bar but walked out again 5 mins later!! Miltos was saying that his leg was stiff as he had been rehearsing his 'big fight' all that day. Miltos and Eugene and truly great guys.

Back inside and I chatted for a while with Parris. Is there a more friendly person than Parris? I'm not sure. I am sure that I'm a little bit in love with her after last night! She is incredible. When I talk to her (I haven't talked to her since last year) it feels like I have known her for years. She is so excited about the show and about the fans.

She actually made my night when she said I was 'the best extra we have' and that she can't wait to see my dailys!! I could have died a happy man then and there! Parris, I am so proud to be a small part this wonderful world that GRRM and you have created. Thank you.

After loads more mingling/taking photos/being generally gobsmacked it was time for the traditional raffle. GRRM was the host and one by one the cast came up to pick out tickets. It was cool hearing GRRM introduce each one using their show name. Phil (Lord Mountain Goat) asked me to film the raffle so I was filming it, while trying to take iphone photos, while trying to find my ticket! Finn was gutted as his number was called out but he had already discarded his ticket. The raffle was a big success.

After a while people eventually walked off into the night. There was talk of moving on to another bar but I was done for the night. I walked home smiling to myself as all the great memories came, one by one, to the fore.

There's loads more to tell but I'm sure other reports will put it better than me.

JacMac - Thanks for the 'Tam'. It was great meeting you. I hope you have a nice day in Belfast!

Joe - The only way is up! Thank's for the offer of a drink from your horn. I declined on health & safety grounds!

Phil - Thanks for the coin. That means more than you could know.

SilverJaime - thanks for being a great co-organiser. Same again next year?

And Parris & GRRM - thank you for everything.

Thanks to everyone else I met last night. What a great night!

Bad news about the banners, but it's great to hear that people had a good time.

Really annoyed this morning, as the gig I was going to in London was delayed until January at the last moment due to the singer being ill, so I was left with both the time and money to be able to attend the moot, but just couldn't swing it in time. Next year (assuming Season 2!), hopefully!

I am at Belfast City Airport for my flight back to Stansted and yes it is raining here again.

Thanks to Rimshot I have video of the raffle draw with winners picked by the cast of the show and also the raw and passionate folk singing of Lilsisorcha and Ser Mel T as they each sung songs composed for this occasion. Lilsisorcha's song was composed entirely of lines from A Song of Ice and Fire which I suspect a lot of people did not even realise. Will need to edit the video a little before uploading because it is too long, but then I still have video from Octocon to sort out too.

Full reports on both are coming. My favourite moment of the moot was telling the actor playing Lancel about the sex scene thread and the "fuck like dogs" posts. He was quite embarrassed actually but he asked how to find the thread so he can read it himself.

My favourite moment of the moot was telling the actor playing Lancel about the sex scene thread and the "fuck like dogs" posts. He was quite embarrassed actually but he asked how to find the thread so he can read it himself.

:lol:

This amuses me to no frickin' end.

Archived