Belfast Moot 2

I'd check that again Martin if I were you...

@ the 11sec mark look to the right of the person's head (am I allowed to say who it is?... I'll not, but suffice to say he has a red beard & brown coat) as he meets George (GetJoeontheShow is also there at that stage, I think hiding behind GRRM's head)

If you look hard enough you'll see your goodself on the right with me to the left of the dude's head, suppin' my pint and Crotalidian I believe just to your side (I remember us 3 chatting back there at that stage)

Sorry, but they got ya!

And I think you're spot on about it being the first preview footage shown on UK tv, good call. Also, Kit really does look the part of Jon Snow watching the footage over again...

Doooh... (should have gone to specsavers)

As you may have guessed, I prefer to be on the other side of the camera, which is normally the best place to be to avoid getting my face gurning back at me.

It's outstanding the job they've done on KH for Jon, comparing the shots from the Moot / Previews with the photos of him from the last book signing, he's totally unrecognisable.

Martin

Thanks for sharing the photos from the night as well as the UTV link! Nice to see the interview chat with GRRM! Was certainly a memorable night! And I'll add my hopes of the banners being reunited with their rightful owner! Be well...

Ezeqiel, of course you can say who it was! All publicity is good publicity!! Have you started those books yet?

Was just cagey about identifying anyone without their say-so... mind you I'm not sure how anyone who follows here or WiC don't know who you are by now... "greatest ever extra" and all that it contains!!!

Nah, not started the books yet, I'm still trying to muddle throught the 1st of the Viking trilogy by Tim Severin - have read up on the Bitterbynd series and the feedback has been good tho, so might make a start soon!

On the subject of books, I've just started the book I won in the Moot raffle... David Benioff's 'City of Thieves'. Initial impressions are very good, beautifully written. Thanks for putting it out as a prize, it's probably something that I wouldn't ordinarily have picked up, apart from the fact that he is so heavily involved in GoT.

Martin

Hi Parris, I'm Carla from Extras NI, the extras co-ordinator in Belfast. One of the other crew members informed me about the missing banners at that it was felt the extras/ and/or extras from Extras NI who were to blame. Extras NI is my company so obviously wanted to get to the bottom of it asap as was shocked and couldn't quite believe that to be true. I also knew many of the extras who attended were very upset at being thought the culprits also. So I did a little digging with people I knew who had attended, and it seems as if we have found the culprits! There is a saying in Northern Ireland - "when the drink is in, the wit is out" and it seems a few ejits had a few too many and did take the banners for a laugh, not realising their significance, their sentimental value, or the consequences. It seems in fact they were so drunk they don't even remember doing it, and didn't know quite why they had them the next day... I haven't managed to speak to them directly, but they were extras who we found through open castings (NOT FROM EXTRAS NI) when searching NI for people with the right GOT look. The person who knows who they are has told them about the backlash their actions have caused and has ensured me they will be posted to the production office over this weekend and I will get them to you asap. So the banners are coming home! I apologise for the upset that has been caused but unfortunately we have no control over drunken ejits actions, and can only say that this shouldn't tar the other 800 or more lovely people who have worked very long hours in very unkind locations and weather conditions as extras on GOT. Anyways, my days are Columbo are over, will get those banners back to you as soon I they arrive.

Glad to hear everything seems to be coming together :) Really sorry I missed this one, but hopefully there'll be others. Speaking of which, made this the other day and quite happy to donate it to the Brotherhood if use can be made of it. Normally I'd sell them or hand them off to a friend, but most friends have one, and this one turned out rather smaller and more delicate than I was expecting, so I'd rather it went to someone who would appreciate an obsidian arrowhead instead of me just selling it :)

Obsidian Arrowhead

The arrowhead is obsidian, hand-knapped to shape, the fitting is carved antler (a tine from a shed, nothing harmed in the making of this), the little bit of decoration is hammered silver (though it's a bit loose). I'm not claiming that it's an amazing work of art or anything, but I thought the obsidian arrowhead aspect of it might be better appreciated somewhere like here. So, if you guys between yourselves can think of something you'd want to use it for, or failing that anyone is interested in general, let me know :)

I'm so glad the troubles with the missing banners are over now, or at least will be over very soon. This kinda gives me hope that there will be a third moot, and that maybe "low-profile" fans as myself can attend too. :)

It's quite possible that I'll have the time and the opportunity, and, being an enormous fan of GRRM and ASOIAF, this kind of public appearance is my only chance of meeting with the Great Author. :)

Carla

thank you so much for this good news, and for the efforts of so many to make sure that these banners were returned to us. There is much truth in that old wise proverb that when the drink goes in, the wit goes out, and for some folks, they surely need to learn their limits before they do themselves or others greater harm than the taking of property that is clearly not theirs.

As many here on the Westeros boards can attest to, I do have more than a bit of that infamous Celtic temperament that has caused more than one battle to be fought, and I am happy to put aside the anger this incident caused and remember all the incredibly wonderful moments that we shared at the Moot.

While there are things I cannot say in public, I know there will be people who read this post that were also contacting me with information they had about the night and the day after, and I want to thank them, and to everyone who spread the word that we wanted the banners returned.

I hope that we'll be able to celebrate not only the return of the banners to us, but also to a successful production of the first of many seasons of A GAME OF THRONES being filmed in Northern Ireland. We've been so busy this last year, I've hardly had a moment to enjoy Belfast, let alone the rest of Northern Ireland, and hope that the next time fortune brings me to NI, we can explore some of the places NI is rightfully famous for, and not just the sets for Castle Black etc. Let's hope that the second season can start production in high summer, when the long days and gentle nights will bring us good luck and fine weather for filming out in the countryside.

with all my thanks and appreciation to you and to so many who helped in the return of these precious treasures of a very special day,

Parris

Archived