Things in books that make you angry.

jurble

Setting aside fighting in Harry Potter, I recall there being a scene where a bunch of wizards were sitting in a room making pamphlets using magic. Here we have a dozen people sitting around doing a job slower than a machine would be doing it, for no real reason whatsoever.

(Note: It's been a while, I may be misremembering the scene.)

Add to that email being better than owls, wikipedia being better than screaming books in a library, etc. it's pretty clear that wizards are bigots who won't even take the better parts of muggle culture.

Good for him, he'd still have to be able to react in time to a bullet and wizards in this series don't exactly tend to be physically fit. Single trained soldier > 90% of wizards. Squad of soldiers > all wizards period.

A bullet wouldn't kill Voldemort, even like a million bullets wouldn't kill Voldemort. That's like, the whole point of like the Horcruxes.

A bullet wouldn't kill Voldemort, even like a million bullets wouldn't kill Voldemort. That's like, the whole point of like the Horcruxes.

Ya but if you take out his body he's essentially powerless. Horcruxes stop a persons soul from being destroyed to stop them from dying, it doesn't mean their body is invincible.

Well, I imagine Voldemort isn't going to let himself get shot. Like, he probably has enough supernatural spacial awareness to recognize when snipers are around him, and once he knows guns are aimed at him, he can probably just turn incorporeal or teleport. He's not a bitch like Harry, he doesn't need to speak words.

Also, he can fly. Without a broom.

Well, I imagine Voldemort isn't going to let himself get shot. Like, he probably has enough supernatural spacial awareness to recognize when snipers are around him, and once he knows guns are aimed at him, he can probably just turn incorporeal or teleport. He's not a bitch like Harry, he doesn't need to speak words.

Also, he can fly. Without a broom.

Good point he is supposed to be a good what ever they call mind readers in the HP series.

Resurrection is pretty lame. I hate when it happens in books, movies, and video games.

It ticks me off as well. It's so overused that at this point I assume a resurrection is coming if a major character dies.

Another thing I'm sick of is basing magic systems on the four elements. It's tired. Come up with something else.

Add to that email being better than owls, wikipedia being better than screaming books in a library, etc. it's pretty clear that wizards are bigots who won't even take the better parts of muggle culture.

Philosophers Stone is set in 1990. For most of the span of HP, e-mail was pretty arcanely magical to muggles as well. For many, it still is. I recommend the ongoing fanfic 'Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality' where stuff like the plot holes in the HP universe are dissected quite amusingly. For example: Harry plans to take on the Basilisk from book 2 using a few bazooka's and time machines are not treated as light hardheartedly as in canon.

Jacqueline Wilson (shudder), I think it really sunk in how much I hated her when turning up to book day at school (at about 7 years old by the way, though everyone should get dressed up once in a while lol) in my hand made Smaug costume to be surrounded by my friends in pigtails and flowery dresses. She brain-washed the people I love!

And books that nothing seems to have happened despite the fact you're about to finish the book, when you start to say "Hold on a second, was this actually worth my time?". These are sad, sad moments :(

Oh, and while I don't mind the HP books (I was only small when I started reading them so I don't mind how kiddy they are) the last book is terrible. Almost as bad as Jacqueline Wilson.

Oh, and while I don't mind the HP books (I was only small when I started reading them so I don't mind how kiddy they are) the last book is terrible. Almost as bad as Jacqueline Wilson.

Harry getting resurrected, and a chat with Dumbledore in Purgatory/Heaven/Whatever was pretty damn pathetic. Ruined the series for me.

Harry getting resurrected, and a chat with Dumbledore in Purgatory/Heaven/Whatever was pretty damn pathetic. Ruined the series for me.

It wasn't that which bothered me so much, it was at the end of it. Harry was like 'so this is all bullcrap right?' and Dumbledore's like 'pretty much yeah'.

Really? I'm not doubting you, I just had no idea that was the case. Is there anything in the books that says this? Why 1990? Didn't the first book come out in 1997?

The books all take place 1991-1998. It's just the setting. And yeah there's stuff in the books that can be used to tell what the year is, like the Prime Minister stuff.

Archived