16 replies to this topic

#1 Linda

Linda

Queen of Innuendo

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:28 PM

On the game +cdb/wanted will list the currently most suggested characters. We'll occasionally try to post a sample of where it stands at here in the forums. Please see the next post on the topic for the list.

If you are a prospective player and none of the wanted characters appeal to you, or if you are a current player who would like to see a particular character in play, please post on this topic as well.

Prospective players interested in PC family members can post here and ask if anyone wants to recruit them for their family. A good idea is to post some general ideas for the kind of character and concept one is interested in.

Current players can recruit for family member, characters otherwise connected to their character or just characters they would like to see in play. Keep in mind that these character suggestions may not have been cleared with the Admin and are not guaranteed to be suitable.

NOTE: If you post a recruiting message for a specific character, try to remember to remove it if someone takes up the character.

#2 Vargos

Vargos

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

Dunno how to remove so edited to this <= /dunno.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dunno:' />

Edited by Vargos, 16 June 2012 - 07:56 AM.

#3 Askatla

Askatla

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:08 AM

Have been thinking... and with the push for ladies-in-waiting to be acquired at the court, I'd love to find someone who would like to pick up a position as Katla's lady-in-waiting. Ideally I'd like to get a woman from a coastal house who doesn't really like the ironborn, and her placement is almost entirely as an attempt to curry favour with the Lady Serry (who was born a Greyjoy) and ensure protection from the lady-in-waiting's house from the reavers. A chance for politics, awkward personal relationships, etc. and so on. /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

#4 Phaing

Phaing

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

The CDB is looking very limited now, and I'm having trouble finding how much leway is permitted in generating the Char itself.
I found one that was somewhat close to one concept, I'd have to change military for a nautical background... and nothing at all that is close to the other one.

Bastards seem to be permitted, or at least not expressly forbidden, but likely to go unrecognized at every level regardless of capabilities.
Interest is diminishing ...

#5 Linda

Linda

Queen of Innuendo

• Administrators
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

The CDB contains over 2000 characters in total, of which several hundred are Open and playable, so I am not sure how that can be seen as too limiting. :)

That said, are you looking for a CGed (CharGenned) character or one you CG yourself? We strongly recommend a CGed character if you don't have previous MUSH experience, so yes, that does limit the pool somewhat.

#6 Phaing

Phaing

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

First of all, let me thank you very much for your prompt reply.

Seems like I have been thrashing around in the dark here...
What I did was ask the folks over at the MUSH box, and they gave me the command that brought up about 30 people and names... date of birth, and house history were things I had to hunt down elsewhere.

2,000? That is something I have not seen yet, and have no idea how I could sift through it.
What I have are 2 concepts, it has been an effort to keep the basic outline under 500 words, they are very detailed. One is 3-D, the other is decidedly not so, perhaps amusingly so, but they are the real deal. Neither one has any set agenda regarding the setting/world, survival and a more meaningful life are their goals. I can PM you the basics if you like.

Yes, I have been RPing since 1983 and doing a text-based RP in mibbit for 5 years now. I know how to describe things properly, but have never gone more than 3 paragraphs in a single post. IMHO, going longer than that tends to bog things down.

#7 OctopusArms

OctopusArms

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

Hey The_Exorcist,

Not sure if I've talked to you on the guest channels at all, so I'm not 100% sure what you're looking for, but that list of characters that you were shown are the most wanted characters for the month, based on player vote. They are definitely not the only characters available.

Webpages to the various house family trees can be found here: http://www.westeros.org/BoD/Houses/

Bastards are permitted, we have several in play. Thematically,bastards are looked down upon by noble society. That happens to various degrees through RP, depending on the players involved, but in the overall scheme of things, yes, they would be looked down upon.

If you're looking for a nautical theme, some houses to look at would be:Crownlands ( Buckwell, Darklyn, Massey, or Rosby ), Dragonstone ( Bar Emmon, Celtigar ), Riverlands ( Mallister ), Reach( Grimm, Hightower, Serry ), Stormlands ( Baratheon, Connington, Estermont ), Vale ( Melcolm, Waxley ), Westerlands ( Crakehall, Farman, Kenning, Lannister, Prester ).

These houses aren't the only ones that could have nautical PCs, I just looked at the map and found supported houses that were on the coast. For the record, here is a very good map of Westeros. Not all the houses on this map are actually supported in the game, but a good many of them are: http://www.westeros....Westeros_03.jpg

Now, of the houses I listed above, the following have active PCs in King's Landing ( that I can think of off the top of my head ): Darklyn, Massey, Rosby, Bar Emmon, Celtigar, Serry, Baratheon, Melcolm, Waxley, Farman, Lannister, Prester.

Many of the other houses I listed have connections to other houses with active PCs. For example, my character's squire is Benther Estermont. Crakehalls have connection to Darklyn, and Lannister, etc.

The easiest thing to do, in my opinion, would be to look through some of these trees and find a character that you like. Then log on to the game and check the CDB of that character. That will let you see if they've been CGed, if they're available, etc.

Hope this helps. I don't log into the forum often, but if you see me on the guest channel feel free to ask any questions you may have.

#8 Phaing

Phaing

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:18 AM

Hey The_Exorcist,...

You know, whenever I start feeling like its not worth the effort, this marvelous Staff here comes along and makes it all seem more do-able.
Kudos to you both, I'll see this through then, and hopefully be ready to roll in a week or two.

THANK YOU for the map, its a beauty.
I had already run down the other information, that's how I found these two;

Renys Serry (1012) Yes Open IV King's Landing (b. 138), an officer of the Sea Watch of King's Landing, second on the Southron Rose, Seems a good choice for my reluctant warrior, now modified to a more nautical type.

And then there is-
Berenda Waxley (1483) No Open IV None Set (b. 139),
Far from ideal, but all I really need is freedom to set the past for this one, the Bastard.

Or are they too geographically close? I looked for something Dornish... but anyway, I have a couple of polar opposites to suit various PR situations, and will be submitting apps soon.

Thanks for all the help!

#9 Ella Darklyn

Ella Darklyn

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:32 AM

You can only have one character in each court (one in Sunspear and one in King's Landing) unless you have special permission from staff. Renys and Berenda would both be at court in King's Landing, so you can only pick one of them to start with. You also probably would not be a able to change a trueborn character to a bastard, as it seems you would want to do for Berenda. There are other female Un-CG'd bastards you could look at, however, if that was your preference. Annys Inchfield (she was a Flowers, but married, then her husband died in the war) and Wynella Flowers.

#10 Phaing

Phaing

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

You can only have one character in each court (one in Sunspear and one in King's Landing) unless you have special permission from staff. Renys and Berenda would both be at court in King's Landing, so you can only pick one of them to start with. You also probably would not be a able to change a trueborn character to a bastard, as it seems you would want to do for Berenda. There are other female Un-CG'd bastards you could look at, however, if that was your preference. Annys Inchfield (she was a Flowers, but married, then her husband died in the war) and Wynella Flowers.

Didn't particularly like that one myself... okay, I'll just have to comb through the Dorn folks again later on. The Family Tree listings are great, except for the fact that they don't tell you who's open. But, a least the little list of open chars is alphabetical, helps with the cross-referencing a great deal!
Just need to find a family so desperate for heirs that one such as what I have in mind can be accepted. Once in, this one can be tremendously helpful.

Fascinating that the more fortunately-placed Renys is not a problem at all. He would have to be good at managing the roughest sorts of people, being the #2 man on a ship of any sort. This should make his introduction into the political world interesting (to say the very least) and also explain his absences when I'm not around to run him... time & tide and all that. It should help that I know something about ships and the sea, as well as what ships of that sort could and could not do. Carrack, Caravel and Xebec types, from the looks of them, yes?
This one will be easier, which may mean more fun in the shorter term, and something else later on.
I will have this one submitted for approval in a few days.

It has occurred to me that posting all of this here might not have been the best course of action, revealing maybe a it too much to potential enemies in Court, but I'll leave this up so that the next folks that come along can see it and have a smoother process getting into this thing.

#11 Linda

Linda

Queen of Innuendo

• Administrators
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

In general, the forum is very much a secondary resources when someone is looking at getting a character. The process largely takes place on the game.

As for a family desperate for heirs, well, all the family trees already have an heir designated. I don't believe we've left any up in the air.

#12 Phaing

Phaing

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

Instead of heirs, I should have used a different word... but I'm drawing a blank thus far.

Speaking of blanks, I need more info on the Serrys family, but I suppose that can be worked out in-game.
Application will be submitted Wed. night.

#13 Linda

Linda

Queen of Innuendo

• Administrators
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

You need to request the character on the game before applying.

#14 Phaing

Phaing

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

You need to request the character on the game before applying.

Oh... the way I read it, I thought that the applications was the first step.
How do I to a request "in game"?

#15 Ella Darklyn

Ella Darklyn

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

Connect to the game, then log in as either a guest (Connect Guest Guest) or a vistor account (Create Name Password, name and password being of your choosing). Then use +help Cdb Newbie and follow the directions to +cdb/request the character you want.

#16 Phaing

Phaing

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

Fantastic luck!
Renys is already written up to a degree I was not expecting, but he's almost a perfect match for what I had in mind.
Request sent.

Thanks Ella /wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Edited by The_Exorcist, 12 March 2013 - 11:27 PM.

#17 Vargos

Vargos

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

I'm interested in the following characters coming into play:

Delanei Crane ( formerly of House Roote of Lord Harroway's Town, Riverlands)
- She's currently the heiress of Lord Roote but his second wife (her stepmother) is pregnant so a son could have her lose her birthright. Mother of Ella and Vortimer
- Married to my own, most awesome character, the one and only ser Albyn Crane, heir to Red Lake, the Reach and a retainer of the Hand. *bows*
- She's Chargen'ed already but I can provide extra information. Just nudge me if i'm online on the Mush ( which I am frequently) or mail me at [email protected] .
- I'm an EU player ( for those interested in someone with a similar time frame of playing)
- Interested in someone to develop the relation between Albyn and Delanei. Albyn being a courtier who feels comfortable in politics and intrigue but who's too haughty for his own good. Delanei being the lady behind each strong man. The factor that makes Albyn so succesful. Smart, calculating woman that knows where to dull the edge so her husband and she herself can rise to higher position and renown.

Haston Costayne ( heir to Three Towers, the Reach)
- Squire to ser Albyn Crane. 16 years old.
- Result of a political connection Albyn made with House Costayne.
- Looking for someone who's interested in playing a squire. Non-Cg'ed character so he still needs to be CG'ed though.

Maester Pashen ( Maester of Kingsgrave, Dorne)
- Maester, famous for his skills in healing.
- CG'ed character so he already has a background and persona made.
- Note: A maester character will need an experienced player who realy wants this kind of character. You won't be able to actualy smash skulls and break bones at the battle orientated events. On the other side, maester's tend to be easy swimmers when it comes to court politics. Often being the most prominent advisors behind the decisions of key characters like Lord Aryard Manwoody ( my Dornish alt) at court. If that's your thing, do try I'd say! /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

My contact outside the Mush: [email protected]

See youon the grid!

Edited by Vargos, 16 March 2013 - 12:27 PM.