December 2010 Reading Thread

RedEyedGhost

Now reading the Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium! omnibus. Pretty brilliant so far.

One of my favourite quotes:

"It's often remarked that diplomacy is just warfare by other means. Our battles are no less desperate for being bloodless, but at least we get wine and finger food."

Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk

Your first Palahniuk? It definitely has an interesting premise, but I felt it was one of his weaker ones.

Finished Milan Kundera's The Book of Laughter and Forgetting. It's been a long time since I actually took time and copied down passages from a book because I found them so poignant and memorable. Wonderful, wonderful book.

Now starting Mario Vargas Llosa's The Time of the Hero.

Up next is Servant of the Underworld by Aliette de Bodard. An Aztec inspired fantasy/murder mystery sounds interesting!

I found it to be a very decent debut. If nothing else, the setting is certainly fascinating.

I'm about a third of the way into Walking the Tree by Kaaron Warren. It's interesting so far, but I could wish the writing was a bit stronger.

I've made a habit of coming here before I go to the library and just jotting down thread titles and then trying to find them at the library. So far, it's been hit and miss.

Read maybe 1/2 of "The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms" before returning it. I don't even know how to describe it. It was just not inline with my reading preferences. At all.

I read "Contagious" by Scott Sigler, which was fantastic. Sigler really spares no punches and just cuts loose with everything he's got. He's one author I'm going to keep my eye out for from now on.

"On Stranger Tides" by Tim Powers. Didn't really like it, and it was not a very easy read for me.

Am starting "Under Heaven" by Guy Gavriel Kay tonight.

I'm reading a collection of stories by an Israeli author, Etgar Keret. The collection's called The Bus Driver Who Wanted To Be God and it's amazing. Most of the stories are only three or four pages long, but the last one is a novella called Knellers Happy Campers.

The novella is about a suicide named Mordy who finds himself in an afterlife much like Earth, just a little bit worse. It's only inhabited by other suicides. Mostly the novella is a journey of Mordy's search for love in this new world and it's pretty comical stuff.

Just finished Towers of midnight and shadowmarch.

Both good books but not mindblowing.

I noticed a lot of grammatical faults in my copy of towers of midnight. Am I the only one or are there others that did?

Not sure what I am going to read next..

I tend to read more fantasy at home, and just regular fiction on the bus or on breaks at work. A good thing about my job in a uni library is being in charge of the new books display, so I get the first crack at the new novels when they're processed. Not that we really have a lot of novels. Usually stuff that is needed for a particular class, and mostly stuff that either won an award or was nominated.

For fantasy, I finally finished the Tawny Man series. I liked the way it wrapped up, but damn Hobb for making me cry!

For regular fiction, I just finished Beatrice and Virgil by Yann Martel. It was awesome. I liked it more than Life of Pi. And I just started the Amazing Absorbing Boy by Rabindranath Maharaj.

I have finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium #1) by Stieg Larsson

The book is OK. Good detective story, but nothing exceptional. I do sympathize with the girl, though. It is sad that she distances herself even from those few who care about her. I hope she overcomes it some time in the future. This free-to-sleep-with-the-best-friend-when-married concept is alien to me, but I accept it as different mentality/culture :)

I might read the other two books later.

Done with Politically Correct Bedtime Stories by James Finn Garner.

I cannot say I laughed a lot but it did satisfy my cynical self and allowed for a couple of good chuckles.

I am going to read A Shadow in Summer by Daniel Abraham

Lots of good reviews on forums and I have got the first book as a free ebook from Tor.

Archived