Book Recommendations for a 10-year-old

BLU-RAY

• 2 months later...

Otherwise the first two Green Knowe books by L.M. Boston were ones I loved at that age - "The Children of Green Knowe" and "Treasure of Green Knowe". And they are kind of awesome because the house they are based on really exists and you can go visit it...although its in England.

Whaaaaa....??? Where? You know things being in England only gives me more reasons to go back. ;)

I have to say the two series that got me into reading were the Boxcar Children and a little bit later, the Prydain Chronicles. I started off with "The High King," then made my parents get me the rest of the series. I still like to think my mom shivers when I give her a list of books for my birthday or Christmas list, knowing how hard it was for her to find "The Foundling."

edit: to this day, its the only series I started off at the end at, but it was kind of cool reading the rest of the books and knowing what came next. And then to find out that Disney made a movie out of the Black Cauldron!

Whaaaaa....??? Where? You know things being in England only gives me more reasons to go back. ;)

Like you need an excuse! But the house is near Cambridge. The house is worth visiting for many reasons, even if one hasn't read the books. When I visited I was the only person who had read the books. A couple was there from Japan to see Lucy Boston's quilts and another couple was there to visit the gardens. Its still lived in by her son and his family so its a home and not a museum.

http://www.greenknowe.co.uk/index.html

Like you need an excuse! But the house is near Cambridge. The house is worth visiting for many reasons, even if one hasn't read the books. When I visited I was the only person who had read the books. A couple was there from Japan to see Lucy Boston's quilts and another couple was there to visit the gardens. Its still lived in by her son and his family so its a home and not a museum.

http://www.greenknowe.co.uk/index.html

So, so true. I need no excuse. ;) Someone in Cambridge just won the prize of an afternoon expedition on my next trip over. Thanks for the link!

In the same area, "Tom's Midnight Garden" by Philippa Pearce is an old favourite. Has anyone mentioned Asterix yet?

I am going to recommend a lot of books that have already been mentioned but add a few of my own.

1. Harry Potter- I feel is an obvious choice.

2. The Prydian Series- Such good books, Taran Wander may or may not hold their attention, but by that point in the story they are pretty invested in his character and will probably be okay with some character building.

3 The Dragon of the Lost Sea Series by Laurence Yep- These are YA fantasy books that use Chinese myths as their base instead of Western mythologies. I highly recommend it for this age group. When I was about 10 I remember reading these and just being utterly fascinated. In a couple of years I would also recommend Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart.

There are so many more but my mind is totally blanking right now....

Depends on what the kid is into but Jim Kjelgaard had lots of good outdoorsy YA books. They were mostly about rugged men and their faithful dogs. But he did a couple cave-men books that were cool when I was about 10.

Where the Red Fern Grows is pretty good also if you have a kid interested in the outdoors at all.

I am going to recommend a lot of books that have already been mentioned but add a few of my own.

3 The Dragon of the Lost Sea Series by Laurence Yep- These are YA fantasy books that use Chinese myths as their base instead of Western mythologies. I highly recommend it for this age group. When I was about 10 I remember reading these and just being utterly fascinated. In a couple of years I would also recommend Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart.

There are so many more but my mind is totally blanking right now....

Ooh, Dragon of the Lost Sea! Good call there.

Depends on what the kid is into but Jim Kjelgaard had lots of good outdoorsy YA books. They were mostly about rugged men and their faithful dogs. But he did a couple cave-men books that were cool when I was about 10.

Where the Red Fern Grows is pretty good also if you have a kid interested in the outdoors at all.

I was wondering if there were any other Jim Kjelgaard fans. I read many of his books after my third grade teacher read Big Red to us in class.

If they like outdoor adventures, Jack London would be a good choice as well.

Archived