Bakker XIII: Spoilers for PON, TJE, and Neuropath/Disciple

Old Nan

I'm nearly 100% certain that the WLW is not Sorweel, though I forget what tidbit convinced me of it. Damned old age.

I'd love to see Bakker consider a sci-fi epic after he completes this one. I imagine it as something like Dune on LSD and steroids.

But Frank Herbert was already on LSD when we wrote Dune. In fact Spice seems to be a pastiche of LSD, Cocaine and Oil.

Perhaps the scene where we meet the actual WLW doing the freaky-deaky with the avatar of Yatwer? ;)

Is it the "actual" WLW, though? Just because the priestess of Yatwer thinks it is? I'm not convinced, particularly after hearing these tales of emo Sorweel transformed into a badass.

It's hard for me to do comparisons on the books, but after my recent re-read, I'd rate them:

TDtCB - mostly for the sheer quality of the writing and the climax

TTT - This one has moved up the list.

TWP / TJE - (about equal).

Is it the "actual" WLW, though? Just because the priestess of Yatwer thinks it is? I'm not convinced, particularly after hearing these tales of emo Sorweel transformed into a badass.

Maybe there's more than one. No one ever said that Yatwer had to put all her eggs in one basket.

I want a separate WLW spoiler thread already now. Pat's posts have already spoiled WLW for me much more than I would like.

:angry2:

I made one. Perhaps a friendly mod can move Pat's posts thataway eventually. At least he can keep his future spoilers there.

I don't really see any of his posts being slightly spoilerish; he's just teasing us. It's far, far less information one would find in a review of a book. Nothing of the plot has been given away, he's just commented on pacing, his impression, and minor tidbits. A spoiler thread for WLW won't really serve an function until it's released, since only Pat has it in his hands, and he's not going to be allowed to say much more than he already has.

Telling us _________ has "become a power player in what's to come" is a pretty big spoiler. As are the discussions of specific plotlines. And the further "teases" he'll put out in the months to come. Just as with what he released of Towers of Midnight, our expectations and consequently appreciation will be considerably limited by this kind of input, even if it includes no complete specifics whatsoever. There's a difference between saying "Luke, I am your father" in your best Vader voice to someone who's never seen Star Wars and saying "Luke and Vader have a much closer relationship than you'd think", but both are spoilers.

True. I just don't see "Sorweel becomes a power player" to be much of a spoiler, since it leaves so much open. It's as vague as something like, "Kellhus's children have a strong role in the book," and I don't understand how it can dampen one's reading experience with the novel. But everyone feels differently about spoilers, of course :P

Agreed. It doesn't take a rocket scientist do conclude that Sorweel always was going to develop to something more interesting than a whining emo teenager. Otherwise Scott's decision to give him a POV and quite a few pages in TJE seems strange.

I'll leave it up to you guys to sort this out...

Old Nan seems to have a particularly prissy personality when it comes to this sort of thing. For the record, nothing I've said in this thread I consider a spoiler. But if you guys wish me to stop posting such tidbits, I'll be happy to oblige.

As for me, there's no way I'm posting any information in the spoiler thread. The only reason I'm given the opportunity to read stuff by Bakker, Erikson, etc, before any other reviewer is because they know I'm not giving the plot away. Whatever is good for Scott should be good for Old Nan, methinks...

But you guys decide and I'll go along with your decision. :)

Patrick

I would say, just write your review of the book, like you do for the Malazan books, or the previous Bakker books, with enough info get a good taste of the book, but without outright spoilers. I find these more extensive reviews are usually more interesting than dropping out of context tidbits here and there.

After that, I would not post anymore teasers. I agree that you haven't posted any spoilers sofar.

Agreed. It doesn't take a rocket scientist do conclude that Sorweel always was going to develop to something more interesting than a whining emo teenager. Otherwise Scott's decision to give him a POV and quite a few pages in TJE seems strange.

In his ongoing quest to become a mainstream "hit" maybe bakker tried his hand at a Twilight-style character? :)

Nothing seems too spoilery (unless you consider being told it's good/bad a spoiler) but I was wondering if the non-earwa books should be in a different spoiler thread? I'm not rushing out to read them but having spoilers for them mixed in with the other series seems a bit of a minefield.

Nothing seems too spoilery (unless you consider being told it's good/bad a spoiler) but I was wondering if the non-earwa books should be in a different spoiler thread? I'm not rushing out to read them but having spoilers for them mixed in with the other series seems a bit of a minefield.

There are Neuropath and Disciple of the Dog threads on here somewhere, so I'll dig them up. I just finished reading Neuropath, and I don't want to post too many spoilers in this thread.

Telling us _________ has "become a power player in what's to come" is a pretty big spoiler. As are the discussions of specific plotlines. And the further "teases" he'll put out in the months to come. Just as with what he released of Towers of Midnight, our expectations and consequently appreciation will be considerably limited by this kind of input, even if it includes no complete specifics whatsoever. There's a difference between saying "Luke, I am your father" in your best Vader voice to someone who's never seen Star Wars and saying "Luke and Vader have a much closer relationship than you'd think", but both are spoilers.

When a baby puts its hand once against the stove, it's understandable.

When a baby repeatedly puts its hand against the stove, the hand gets slapped and baby is told "no."

In other words, repeatedly clicking on a thread--particularly when the prior thread explicitly stated "spoilers for WLW" and everyone involved (including the thread starter) knew Pat was reading the book and dropping non-spoilerish tidbits--gives one no grounds for complaining about being spoiled.

Seriously. Bakker spent an entire book developing Sorweel. Only a retard on the level of Goodkind would do that and then not make the character "specifically important" to the plot.

Seriously. Bakker spent an entire book developing Sorweel. Only a retard on the level of Goodkind would do that and then not make the character "specifically important" to the plot.

An ENTIRE book? What book was that? I saw a few chapters at most, and to be honest, he could be nothing more than a POV to show us whats going on with Khellus and friends.

Archived