Syrio Forel - the neverending fight

AvengingAryaFan

I just noticed while reading ACOC that while Arya is traveling with Yoren and boys for the Night's Watch, she thinks to herself 'something about him (Jaqen H'ghar) reminded her of Syrio, her old dancing master.' And then I realized that Jaqen was taken from the dungeons of King's Landing. It's possible that once Syrio was sure Arya had had time to get away, he yielded to his opponent and was taken to the dungeons...I like this theory, as I really want Syrio to be alive. It seems a little unlikely that Syrio would yield to anyone, but we didn't actually know him that well, and he may have thought that if he survived he could live to fight another day.

Edit: I've been reading through more of this discussion and I see that this theory has already been proposed.

Indeed, and shot down no doubt.

The something that reminds her of Syrio is almost certainly similar speech patterns because they come from places with the same foreign root language. Like a german and a dutchman both in an english speaking land, or an american and a canadian both in europe.

I just noticed while reading ACOC that while Arya is traveling with Yoren and boys for the Night's Watch, she thinks to herself 'something about him (Jaqen H'ghar) reminded her of Syrio, her old dancing master.' And then I realized that Jaqen was taken from the dungeons of King's Landing. It's possible that once Syrio was sure Arya had had time to get away, he yielded to his opponent and was taken to the dungeons...I like this theory, as I really want Syrio to be alive. It seems a little unlikely that Syrio would yield to anyone, but we didn't actually know him that well, and he may have thought that if he survived he could live to fight another day.

Edit: I've been reading through more of this discussion and I see that this theory has already been proposed.

Hah! Good theory! I just decided to check the forums to see if this had already been proposed, and of course it has. I started reading these books a decade too late... The TV series made Syrio out to be a hobbit, but I don't think the books were so specific about his or Jaqen's heights.

Archived