The Good Wife

Datepalm

This series deserves more love from this board.

Caught up with this season and it's fantastic. The first half of season 3 of Fringe was rocking but it's hit some speed wobbles lately. Not so The Good Wife which was consistently good in its 1st season and has maintained a similar level this season and raised it IMO in the most recent episodes.

I think I know why it's my favourite show this year. It has elements of several shows in it; the legal/courtroom drama, criminal investigative drama, family drama and political intrigue. And all married nicely so we get a wide pov of events. It's not perfect but the flaws are just minor character gripes, I liked Blake at the start but he became a bit cliche when it turned out he was just a thug and I though Cary's attitude towards Alecia took too long to soften. Cary and Kalinda are still my favourite characters but Eli's proving gold(sorry, couldn't resist) and so have MJF's appearances.

When the next episode? Can't wait.

Agreed. But Peter and Kalinda? C'mon... that just seems... impossible.

On the other hand, Alicia and Kalinda... :drool:

I think they turned Eli into a caricature this season, he is so over the top. Otherwise, pretty much everything works well on this show. Some of my favorite scenes are Cary and Kalinda having these little chats.

I think they turned Eli into a caricature this season, he is so over the top.

I rather thought they toned him down, if anything. He was such an (awesomely entertaining) asshole in his early episodes that it was almost jarring to get a bit of it again with the chairman guy after episodes and episodes of sensitive crush guy.

I think Kalinda/Peter is retcon, personally, but i'm really bad at picking up on this kind of thing, so i'm not sure. I don't like it in and of itself, becuase Kalinda/Peter dosen't really make all that much sense to me, and I'm really dreading getting Alicia and Kalinda's friendship broken up (OTOH, this show aces the bechdel test every single episode, after all, so i'm willing to believe they know what they're doing, so maybe i'm supposed to be nervous.) But I do kind of want to see Peters adultery front and center again, because everyone sort of agreed to brush it under the carpet unresolved back in S1, and how powerful people get away with stuff on all sorts of levels, and who has to bear the consequences for them, is one of the shows major themes, so its nice to circle back to it.

More people need to be watching this show!

I don't think it's retconned. When I first caught the end of one of the very early episodes I asked a friend to give me a heads up on the series and he singled Kalinda out as one who had had an affair with Peter and was now working closely with Alecia. Now this was both his and his wife's impression on the matter just from watching the first episodes. I never thought back on that and it came as a nice surprise when it was brought up this season.

We don't know 'Lila's' backstory so I don't find Peter/Kalinda implausible, though if Peter was supposedly doing her a favour it's kind of low of him to take the opportunity to bed her too IMO.

I too dread what's going to happen to Alecia and Kalinda's friendship but I think the key to healing things there will be Cary in the long term. As for Alecia and Peter, I really don't know and I probably don't want to second guess what might happen, just enjoying things as they are for now.

Agreed. But Peter and Kalinda? C'mon... that just seems... impossible.

Have they come right out and said that the two of them slept together? I always thought it was a little shady...that there might be more to it than that...I still want to believe that there is a different explanation.

I rather thought they toned him down, if anything. He was such an (awesomely entertaining) asshole in his early episodes that it was almost jarring to get a bit of it again with the chairman guy after episodes and episodes of sensitive crush guy.

Dunno, he was super cool in the first season. He even got the better of Alicia at the end. This season, he is way too emotional. The crush scenes are particularly horrible, but his reactions in many other instances are way too exagerated as well.

I love his scenes with Becca though, that's the Eli I know and love. Sadly, they are too infrequent.

Have they come right out and said that the two of them slept together?

Peter said something along the lines of "It was just one night" to Kalinda. Also, Cary talks to Kalinda all the time about it, if it weren't true, Kalinda could just say so.

Peter said something along the lines of "It was just one night" to Kalinda. Also, Cary talks to Kalinda all the time about it, if it weren't true, Kalinda could just say so.

Ah, but "It was just one night" is an open ended statement that we're intended to take as "sexy sex", it doesn't mean that it was though...maybe she killed a man, just to watch him die, and Peter helped her out of the jam. It was "just one night" that she killed somebody...

And Cary does insinuate it, state it and badger her about it, but the fact that she doesn't say a word about it one way or the other, defend either herself or Peter makes me think that there is more to it.

Kalinda is very secretive and we know she changed her name. Why? She didn't change it because she slept with Peter, but I suspect he helped her get the change arranged...

It's too pat to have it be that they slept together. This show just doesn't go for the easy answer like that. They have to insinuate it and put Alicia through the ringer because of it, but in the end, it isn't impossible that there is more to the story that they've led us to believe.

Ah, but "It was just one night" is an open ended statement that we're intended to take as "sexy sex", it doesn't mean that it was though...maybe she killed a man, just to watch him die, and Peter helped her out of the jam. It was "just one night" that she killed somebody...

lol Jaxom, you really want there to be a different explanation, don't you?

I'm quivering with expectation. The trailer has her packing boxes. The end of the last show had Kalinda ask Will to tell Alicia how he feels. Blake asks Kalinda to smooth things over between him and Peter through Alicia. The scene implies it might be difficult after she confesses that she slept with her best friend's husband.... I CAN'T WAIT

yeah! Alicia kicking Peter out was badass.

The epsiode never quite gelled for me as a whole (Though there were threads - motherhood, womens responsibilities to family, to work, women being judged for their decisions.) but all the individual bits were excellent - Patty always rocks (so obvious she was going to double cross them though. C'mon, this is Patty.) Alicia breaking down with the kids, Jackie showing her true colors, Eli telling Jackie its "not the 50's", Alicia thrashing whats-his-name from Mad Men, Peter being a jerk...

(I gotta admit, i'm sort of sympathetic to Peter, becuase Will/Alicia is a bit dull, and becuase I believe him - he really does think he's a changed man, he's really in love with her again. The question is whether that's enough, because he is in the wrong, he is the one who cheated, and Alicia is right - if there was something to say, he should have said it, but probably there isn't and all his good intentions won't be enough. I'm assuming he's going to round up Carey and decend to the dark side, but i'd like it if they kept him more ambigous.)

You know what's funny...I missed the first 5 minutes and the whole "throwing him out" bit...so I don't know that the words, "Yes, I slept with Kalinda" were ever uttered. Everything else I saw, no one, other than Alicia, ever said that Peter and Kalinda actually slept together. So that little part of me that wants the other scenario, it's still alive.

At least in my mind. :P

• 2 weeks later...

That was a cheerier ending than I expected from this show. The end was pretty hilarious too, and I was certain the elevator was going to kill it rather than the opposite. (this show kind of has a love affair with elevators, dosen't it?) Its finally some forward motion, even if its not a relashionship thats actually all that interesting. (Its like...I can't stand Will, but Alicia seems to like him, so i'm glad for her?) and they are keeping Peter rather sympathetic, so yay.

Glad Eli is moving in, and it was nice to see that bit of ambition from Alicia in Diane's office, which I don't think she would have let herself acknowledge two seasons ago when obviously she was just in it for the kids. Jackie and Owen we're funny too, though my favorite bit of the episode was probably Diane's expression when Will was going on about the founding fathers.

Is it sad that I can only enjoy the hurray, Alicia actually went in with Will moment for a moment, because I'm scared that security footage will be leaked to the press ruining her reputation?

Regardless, I capital L love this show.

Damn, I hadn't thought of that. That could get really nasty. I thought the issue, as set up by the democratic committee guy, was going to be Peter trying to get her back and no one ever ebing sure if he's doing it just for the political advantage or not. I'm kind of hoping to see Alicia herself mvoing in a direction of more political authority.

I really don't know how I feel about the whole bit in the elevator...part of me wishes it hadn't happened, but at the same time, I kinda applaud the show for going forward rather than dodging the issue for the next five seasons.

I admit, I hadn't thought Peter was behind the help in the case. It lends some more gravitas to his character in a way.

I very much like the idea of Eli being about the whole time next season and how it's going to work with the relationships of the various characters.

I do also think that Alicia's little tryst in the elevator with Will will go a long way towards mending fences with Kalinda, who's turn in the bedroom once she realized she was sleeping with a married woman...she's obviously truly broken up over Alicia finding out...

(I still wish it had been something more than Peter and Kalinda sleeping together...who knows, maybe there is more to the story...)

I agree with (almost) everything you've said! :P (I remember thinking that Peter had slept with Kalinda quite early on in the 1st season).

I was pleasantly surprised at Peter's involvement in helping out the case. I enjoy the moral ambiguity of "good guy" "bad guy" silliness that most shows have a tendency to go toward.

Really liked Kalinda's response to finding out her lover was married.

I LOVE Eli Gold, and am really looking forward to how that (and Peter trying to win Alicia back and for what reasons, etc.) will play out.

I am slightly pissed at Juliana herself for implying that this show (and she in particular) are blazing the trail for women focused leads for family & work shows. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/23/julianna-margulies-network-execs-assholes_n_865722.html

One of my very favourites was Judging Amy (which I think was a hidden gem) and may have actually blazed a trail for this show!

Regardless, any show with Kristin Baranski in it has to be fabulous!

Archived