The True Crime of Twilight

Sivin

Ok, so a poorly written series of books (and a disgusting movie series) I can forgive. I mean, Stephanie Meyer was just trying to make a buck. And I don't know how original it was, but that was the first I'd ever heard of a Vampire romance (I don't think Interview With a Vampire counts). And it isn't her fault that a bunch of tasteless fools think that the movies are worth the pieces of plastic that act in them.

But the damning element (in my mind) is the whole spawn of crappy Vampire-Romance-knockoffs that have cropped up as of late. When I go to the library, I have to dodge my way through a forest of awful works of fiction (though they hardly deserve to be called such) so that I can get to the real stuff. And it pisses me off that this crap is displayed while good authors are relegated to the back aisles.

Any thoughts?

Meyer wasn't all that early to the vampire sex scene. Anne Rice's work has a shit ton of it, especially if you look past the couple that made it big. Laurel K Hamilton was also the queen of the genre before Meyer came along. In fact, it's a well recognised problem that almost all "Urban Fantasy" tends to be closer to a female masturbation device than a book trying to tell a story.

Outside the occasional gem that comes about when Neil Gaimann, China Melville and the like put their hand to the genre, Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series is pretty much alone in the genre for not being a thinly veiled werewolf / vampire / fairy sex book.

I love the TV series Vampire Diaries. I've never watched it with the sound on, it's just nice to look up from my computer and see that hot girls face from time to time as I study/work.

W/o Twilight I'd not have that face to brighten my days.

Why are you hating on Meyer, those vampire books were pretty sweet. Jacob should've won fo sho, even if he was kinda a peadophile.

Also, literary forum man. It exists. And welcome to the board.

I'm not hating on Meyer per se. I certainly don't think that it's well written but that isn't grounds to hate it. Although I do hate the movies (It makes me sick that Miss Stewart won a people's choice award when Ellen Page should've gotten it).

I'm just saying that I hate all the crap that is showing up out of the blue because twilight had success. (Including that show The Vampire Diaries. They're just writing that because it's "in" and they know that they will get sales

I'm not hating on Meyer per se. I certainly don't think that it's well written but that isn't grounds to hate it. Although I do hate the movies (It makes me sick that Miss Stewart won a people's choice award when Ellen Page should've gotten it).

I'm just saying that I hate all the crap that is showing up out of the blue because twilight had success. (Including that show The Vampire Diaries. They're just writing that because it's "in" and they know that they will get sales

I was being facetious man, I have no interest whatsoever in Meyer or any series in that particular section of urban fantasy.

Actually though, I disagree with you on disliking the people cashing in on the craze. Its very hard for writers to make a living these days, so unless the stuff they put out directly harms people I will never say a word against them, no matter how trashy the stuff they write is. I would totally do it too.

I was being facetious man, I have no interest whatsoever in Meyer or any series in that particular section of urban fantasy.

Actually though, I disagree with you on disliking the people cashing on on the craze. Its very hard for writers to make a living these days, so unless the stuff they put out directly harms people I will never say a word against them, no matter how trashy the stuff they write is. I would totally do it too.

I got it. I just wanted to clear that up anyway.

And I understand the "cashing in on the craze", but I just don't like it when people abuse art. The same thing with movies. There's a place for the crappy stuff, and it isn't at the front of the store. That's what really gets me.

-This belongs in Literature forum.

I think it can expand beyond the literature forum based on how much Twilight has spun off into. From the marketing of pillows with their faces on it to toys and even food.

True to point though as she mentioned specifically the crappy knock off books that followed.

I both support your statement and hope the thread stays in place so the conversation can be expanded beyond just the book angle.

The girl on the Bachelor with the false teeth credited Anne Rice and not Twilight with her false teeth. I guess we can't pine that one on Twilight kids.

Truly don't get the weirdo, pedophilic, death wish, psycho relationship, sparkly boyfriend thing with the bad writing.

I DO get the half naked native doggy boy ripping off his shirt at a moment's notice and for any reason. :drool: Now I'm the creepy pedophile I revile in the first sentence. Hmmmm.

Truly don't get the weirdo, pedophilic, death wish, psycho relationship, sparkly boyfriend thing with the bad writing.

I DO get the half naked native doggy boy ripping off his shirt at a moment's notice and for any reason. :drool: Now I'm the creepy pedophile I revile in the first sentence. Hmmmm.

Can someone respond to this. Because I don't know what to say!

I totally understand Salome, but are you after photos of real life half-naked doggy boy-men's toned bodies or the images in its written form?

I'm pretty sure you don't need Meyer for either. In fact, I'm willing to bet money I could write a sexier half-naked native doggy boy-man than her.

Can someone respond to this. Because I don't know what to say!

np

team jaccob is it? makes sense. if i was a lady i'd be on that team as well.

i'm just glad i don't have a daughter right now and have to tell her "no i won't buy you that pillow with his face on it!"

also, it was a little creepy hearing moms talk about how cute the wolf guy was coming out of the movie.

yes i saw the third one, took my niece.

I just noticed that there is a twilight add on the right side of this forum... For some reason that worries me.

Seriously man, you've been here five minutes and now your questioning the forum ad policy. Plus you've messed up general chat. I think its best you take your team Jacob prejudice and leave.

Oh, I guess I can put down my wooden stake now. WAIT! Does that even work in Twi-"ahem" I don't remember it ever being referenced!

not only do advertisers now know to target you with twilight but the FBI has you on a peddie danger list

Archived