The True Crime of Twilight

Sivin

So, any predictions on when the whole twi-ahem will finally die out?

I predict a similar trend to Harry Potter. A low simmer after the 4th movie is out for awhile and then gradually fades to being that series everyone remembers but only the fanatic fans are really all about.

I'm a little surprised that no one mentioned Dan Simmons as not Herbert or Heinlein. The whole Hyperion thing is worth your time.

V.C. Andrews?

I have nothing to add about teenage wankfest I'll live inside God's hot tomato.

I predict a similar trend to Harry Potter. A low simmer after the 4th movie is out for awhile and then gradually fades to being that series everyone remembers but only the fanatic fans are really all about.

And then a new franchise will immediately fill in the hollow that all those people looking for something to obsess over will have. Ah, the beauty of popular culture.

You should have more posts my friend.

Probably. But most of the time, you guys have already said what i was going to and more eloquently/succinctly than me.

And then a new franchise will immediately fill in the hollow that all those people looking for something to obsess over will have. Ah, the beauty of popular culture.

I don't know, i think it's more about identifying than obsessing. At least at the initial stages. One could, in theory, obsess over anything. There needs to be a sufficient 'motivator' to drive the mind to devote so much mental energy to something in the first place. I am unsure that popular culture is driving obsessiveness, per se, but perhaps more of 'selling an identity'. I couldn't say why people want an identity that relates to Twilight, i am quite removed from any perspective that would shine light upon that.

I couldn't say why people want an identity that relates to Twilight, i am quite removed from any perspective that would shine light upon that.

Have you read Bella's internal monologue? Every single page has at least one reference to her perceived unattractiveness, perceived boring-ness, perceived intellectual inadequacy, perceived athletic inadequacy, etc., while we are simultaneously beaten over the head with story events great and small that contradict every insecurity she has (except the one about being clumsy - Meyer is content to let that one stand). It's pure, undiluted teenage-insecurity wish-fulfillment. The thing with the vampire is just window-dressing, except in so far as he's portrayed is more attractive and mature than the other boys who are also interested in Bella.

• 3 months later...

^Agreed.

The TRUE crime of Tw*light is that it has ruined a perfectly lovely word, possibly forever. On the bright side, this has finally given me an excuse to refer to the liminal time between day and night as "the gloaming."

Archived