The True Crime of Twilight

Sivin

Some times though good books get lumped into these groups even though they wrote a great book. I just finished The Radleys, which is defiantly urban fantasy with vampires, but was very well written in my opinion.

Never read Twilight, but Ive always enjoyed a good urban fantasy.

I'm not a fan of Twilight by any means, but Stephanie Meyer is a genius just because she managed to turn crap into gold. I cringe every time I hear of another incident of a teenager biting another, someone getting a twilight tattoo, or just the talk of Edward and Bella. That being said I look at some of the stuff I was reading when I was 16 and realize that I wasn't reading much better. I've read most of the Anne Rice series and am crazy impressed with her ability as a writer. Anne Rice took vampires to another level for me.

I am an advocate for the Harry Potter series myself because to me Twilight makes teens want to lust after each other and find eternal love and HP is about developing friendships, having adventures, and trying to do what's right.

I'm not a fan of Twilight by any means, but Stephanie Meyer is a genius just because she managed to turn crap into gold. I cringe every time I hear of another incident of a teenager biting another, someone getting a twilight tattoo, or just the talk of Edward and Bella. That being said I look at some of the stuff I was reading when I was 16 and realize that I wasn't reading much better. I've read most of the Anne Rice series and am crazy impressed with her ability as a writer. Anne Rice took vampires to another level for me.

I am an advocate for the Harry Potter series myself because to me Twilight makes teens want to lust after each other and find eternal love and HP is about developing friendships, having adventures, and trying to do what's right.

Meyer isn't a genius at all. She's spectacularly lucky. Anyone could've written that series. It just happened to be her.

Fuck doing what's right. I'm all about teenage lust.

She just did teenage lust really, really badly. Her limited LDS mind didn't provide a very good foundation to explore the lustful teenage psyche. She just didn't have the background for it.

Oh, and i'm an advocate for HP too, just because they got dragons, and explosions, and shit.

ETA: Still scratching my head and trying to decide if that last sentence was meant as a joke, or if this cat is serious.

I totally understand Salome, but are you after photos of real life half-naked doggy boy-men's toned bodies or the images in its written form?

I'm pretty sure you don't need Meyer for either. In fact, I'm willing to bet money I could write a sexier half-naked native doggy boy-man than her.

I believe this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship, Ser.

And on another note, the only bits of writing I have seen of Meyers, I have got off of this site

http://reasoningwithvampires.tumblr.com/

Meyer isn't a genius at all. She's spectacularly lucky. Anyone could've written that series. It just happened to be her.

I stand by genius. She could have written a million other books, but nothing sells as crazy as teenage epic romance. Just look at Justin Beiber, Jonas Brothers, and all the other tweener starts. If she had written any other vampire novel, one like Anne Rice, she would have been laughed at, but she made them relatable to teens, put them in high school with high school problems, made the girl 'special', and look how it blew up.

I believe this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship, Ser.

And on another note, the only bits of writing I have seen of Meyers, I have got off of this site

http://reasoningwithvampires.tumblr.com/

No problem. I can recreate prose of that kind, 50 cents a page, including illustrations. My original work goes at $2.

I stand by genius. She could have written a million other books, but nothing sells as crazy as teenage epic romance. Just look at Justin Beiber, Jonas Brothers, and all the other tweener starts. If she had written any other vampire novel, one like Anne Rice, she would have been laughed at, but she made them relatable to teens, put them in high school with high school problems, made the girl 'special', and look how it blew up.

Nonsense. It was pure dumb luck. The books came out of her own insecurities and inner fantasies as a confused american housewife. It just happened to fit perfectly with the current tweener population. Meyer didn't/doesn't have a clue.

I dont begrudge her her success though.

Fuck doing what's right. I'm all about teenage lust.

She just did teenage lust really, really badly. Her limited LDS mind didn't provide a very good foundation to explore the lustful teenage psyche. She just didn't have the background for it.

Oh, and i'm an advocate for HP too, just because they got dragons, and explosions, and shit.

ETA: Still scratching my head and trying to decide if that last sentence was meant as a joke, or if this cat is serious.

I should note that the Harry Potter community has shown me enough of an outpouring of teenage (and other) lust to scar me for a lifetime.

I'm sure Cerys can show you the fics.

I would have liked for HP to have more teenage romance because it is a part of being a teenager, but I would have been disappointed with them being too lusty. I still haven't read all the series so I'm not even sure how lusty the books got.

I don't get the lusty thing. Have you ever been a teenager? Fuck, all i remember about those years is the lust... that might have something to do with all the weed i smoked though.

The male characters are written poorly in that regard, mostly because its from the perspective of a woman trying to be teenage boys. Doesn't really work. Man, if I was at Hogwarts I'd have gone to town. So little competition its unreal.

Indeed... especially if you had the celebrity status of HP, and a secret map telling you the whereabouts of all the cats in the area. I would have /lived/ in the female dorms.

My teenage years were all about lust; however, I lived it, I didn't read about it. I enjoy sex scenes, and love in a book, but I hate when a book is romance focused. Also, it gives unrealistic expectations. In some books you read all about all this perpetual love, unending romance, where the man never makes a mistake, I don't want that. A whole generation of young girls are going to be very disappointed that their men don't turn out quite as perfect as Vampire Edward. If I want lust I read Letters to Penthouse.

ASOIAF, as far as I've read, doesn't have a whole lot of sex, and most of all the scenes I've read about has been with Tyrion. I find that mildly humorous. It's cool that he goes down though, even on a whore.

My teenage years were all about lust; however, I lived it, I didn't read about it. I enjoy sex scenes, and love in a book, but I hate when a book is romance focused. Also, it gives unrealistic expectations. In some books you read all about all this perpetual love, unending romance, where the man never makes a mistake, I don't want that. A whole generation of young girls are going to be very disappointed that their men don't turn out quite as perfect as Vampire Edward. If I want lust I read Letters to Penthouse.

ASOIAF, as far as I've read, doesn't have a whole lot of sex, and most of all the scenes I've read about has been with Tyrion. I find that mildly humorous. It's cool that he goes down though, even on a whore.

Lust doesn't necessarily mean sex though. At least for me it wasn't. I lost my virginity at 16 after many failed crushes and awkward experiences. At that age you really think of little else. Harry and Ron are basically sexless.

Archived