Most Craptastic novels

The faceless others

Literature is like any other art. There are masterpieces, and there are just plain fabrications, mediocre works, or just pieces of shit. Please give some of the worst novels you could suggest, in order to warn readers not to waste cash, time and effort. This is because by the gods there are a lot of 'em out there!

Before anyone else gets there:

Anything by Robert Stanek and Terry Goodkind ;)

Also Twelve by Jasper Kent. Twilight was marginally more entertaining.

And The Windup Girl bored me to tears, although it won a Hugo or something.

Literature is like any other art. There are masterpieces, and there are just plain fabrications, mediocre works, or just pieces of shit. Please give some of the worst novels you could suggest, in order to warn readers not to waste cash, time and effort. This is because by the gods there are a lot of 'em out there!

For me personally they would have to be Henry Martyn by L. Neil Smith and Sword of Bedwyr by R. A. Salvatore, because they are the only novels I've tried to read in the past 20 years where I stopped in the middle and refused to finish them because I found them to be so poor in quality.

I read The Fire Eaters by David Almond when I was about 13 and remember thinking it was pretty awful, I can't recall why too well. I think the gist of my ire was that the book seemed to deal with the suspense of nuclear armageddon (set in the cold war), which then didn't happen, which I felt rendered the whole book pointless, and that the fire-eater in question didn't seem to have much relevance to the plot. Maybe I missed something, or I remember wrongly.

i don't really see the appeal of jane austen or thomas hardy.
!!!

Prose, comrade.

I'd add Ulysses to this list. Except for Eye of Argon, nothing here is anywhere near to "most craptastic", but Ulysses probably has the multiplier of being both awful and overrated, which pushes it near the short list.

i don't really see the appeal of jane austen or thomas hardy.

Not seeing the appeal of something doesn't make it crappy. It makes it not something you enjoy. I am not particularly enjoying Jane Austen's Sense & Sensability, but there is no way it is a bad book, she seems to be a perfectly competent writer and the book is more than readable, just not well suited for my taste. I had no expectation that i would love it when i started reading it, i didn't undertake it for pleasure, only for a challenge.

Archived