Most Craptastic novels

The faceless others

I will 2nd Lord of the Isles. I actually gave it about 200 pages before tossing it.

I would also avoid anything by Steven Erikson. At least as bad as Drake, but I suffered through his first 2 books after hearing "it will get better" many times. Nope. Awful.

Ah see, I love Erikson, but it's one of those things I've accepted that people either love or hate. I have a friend whose tastes match up with mine 99 percent of the time...except for Erikson.

I'm surprised no once has mentioned the yeard yet.

Back in high school when my only source for books was our tiny libray, I read a few Piers Anthony books, :shudder:

I've mostly repressed it. All I remember was that he seemed to like little girls a little TOO much, if you know what I mean.

I once read a Piers Anthony book for the sole purpose of putting me to sleep each night, no joke. It was probably like 15 years ago now. It did such a good job that i am pretty sure it took me at least 6 months to read it.

I have no idea what it was called or what ever happened in it. All i do remember was there was a guy riding a horse and then someplace with castles. :dunno:

I havn't read many awful fantasy novels, and I real most of the mediocre ones when I was young and didn't know any better :)

But outside of fantasy...I think every book I've bought in an airport because I was intensely bored has been terrible. Dan Brown, Robert Ludlum...some real losers there.

I read some Chris Bunch and some Elrond Hubbard one time. Then I took to self harm for a bit, 'til the bad thoughts went away.

If life were an RPG, reading a crappy book would result in +2 to unresolved anger for the next few months.

I would leave the classics out of this. They are classics for a reason even if not to everyone's taste (and often foisted upon unsuspecting school kids ;) ). I very much doubt Goodkind, Newcombe, Pasolini and Meyer will still be read 200 years from now.

Yep, Great Gatsby will be read and still hated in 200 years.

Yep, Great Gatsby will be read and still hated in 200 years.

I agree. Out of all classics I have ever read (and they are more than a few), the two I really, really hated with a passion were "The Sorrows of Young Werther" and "The Great Gatsby".

At least I *know* why I think these books are complete tosh.

I read some Chris Bunch and some Elrond Hubbard one time. Then I took to self harm for a bit, 'til the bad thoughts went away.

Ah, Chris Bunch is harmless cheese, if that's the worst you've ever read then be thankful.

Other than that, I read terrible books for fun and for the esteem of my peers, so I can't really comment here. Even the Left Behind series, while terrible beyond all conception of terribleness, is at least providing entertainment in the form of the ongoing reviews at slacktivist.

Whaaa ... :shocked: I don't know what bothers me more, that there are 4 Ayn Rand and 3 R. L. Hubbard books in the top ten, or that they are just next to LoTR and 1984 (which I didn't find very good, but it was far from anything by Rand).

Currently, I hold a grudge against Kraken. How can a book about a giant squid and with such nice cover art be so boring :(

Other terrible books: Madame Bovary, Atlas Shrugged, Empress. Can't say anything about The Great Gatsby because I stopped reading at page 10.

Ah, Chris Bunch is harmless cheese, if that's the worst you've ever read then be thankful.

Other than that, I read terrible books for fun and for the esteem of my peers, so I can't really comment here. Even the Left Behind series, while terrible beyond all conception of terribleness, is at least providing entertainment in the form of the ongoing reviews at slacktivist.

Haha, I've read some of your threads re Thongor et al. You are very brave to endure such things, but at least those are kind of earnest.

I would read literally anything I could find for years and I guess that I should thank the Bunch's and Van Lustbader's for helping me to define what bad prose is (within my own critical language). Other bad stuff like Brak, Thongor and Piers Anthony didn't leave such a bad impression though. Or any impression really, haha ;)

Oh yeh, and the Horselords books .... aiiiiieeeee I dare anyone to read one of 'em :P

James Barclay had a character called The Unknown Warrior. I mean come on! What sort of arsehole calls himself that?

Stann Nichols did some books on Orcs that were complete gash. I suspect he rolled a dice to work out the fight scenes.

Claremont and Lucas's Shadows Moon was inept to the point of incomprehensibility. Newcombes Fith Sorceress was a mysoginistic mess.

Terry Brooks The Wishsong of Shannara was a great dissapointment when I was a kid, coming as it did after the really rather enjoyable Elfstones. Just naff, cheesy writing.

Oh, forgot about Simon Green. Read Man with a Golden Torque. There was one chapter that i believe he walked away and let his kids write. It went something like this....

Well i just fought off the sharks with lazer beams, when the flying werewolfs came flying down with tommy guns. Luckily i had a silver lined grenade and took them all out. But what is this? Evil unicorns with orcs riding them? ....

The whole chapter was non stop.

The Brian Herbert/Kevin J. Anderson Dune Prequels. Though I acknowledge these books don't actually exist hypothetically if they did they would be absolutely horrible.

I went to a panel he sat on this weekend at CoSine here in colorado springs. The panel was called, 'Should writers read in their genre?'.

I didn't know much about good old Kevin J, other than some Star Wars novels i read when i was 12 and the general distaste everyone has for him due to the Dune novels (i tried reading one and couldn't finish).

Anywho, when asked about his opinion on the subject of the panel he said, and i'm not making this shit up: "Well, I'm kind of a big name in Sci Fi, so i get a lot of stories out of slush piles for the anthologies i'm asked to edit, and new authors wanting me to read their work. I rarely read them. I really only interested in the things i'm working on, and the books i'm writing. So, no, i don't read within the genre if i can help it.'

I thought he was just fucking around, but as the panel went on, and questions were thrown at him, i realized that this guy really takes himself seriously. He doesn't realize that he is one of the most hated authors in our little corner of the world, and that his entire career is based on him writing about shit that he didn't make up (For Fuck's sake, he even ripped of L. Ron Hubbard, you can't get much lower than that). Only attempting to continue a story that has already been established, and not doing very well at it anymore.

So ya, fuck Kevin J. Anderson.

Archived