March 2011 - Reading Thread

palin99999

Just finished the entire Harry Potter series. I must admit that they are more entertaining they I thought they would be.

Reading shadowrise by Tad Williams while I wait for copy of the wise man's fear and The heroes.

Finished Martin's Fevre Dream over the weekend. Couldn't really get into it at first, so I enjoyed it less than I'd expected. It's a good book, but I wasn't really in the mood for it.

I've also been reading some of Graham Greene's short fiction. Interesting stuff.

The Crippled God arrived in the mail this morning so that one's next.

I'm 100 pages from finishing The Clan of the Cave Bear. I admit my expectations were low, but I am enjoying the book far more than I thought I would. Jean Auel has a GRRM-like nack of describing food and feasts. Who would have ever thought prehistoric food could sound so tasty!?!

Not sure about the next book. It'll be The Good Earth by Pearl Buck, The Sea Watch by Adrian Tchiakovsky or The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie. I also plan do a re-read of ASOIAF for this month to brush up on the novels before the HBO series debuts. It has been at least 6 or 7 years since I've read the first 3 books of the series.

I'm 100 pages from finishing The Clan of the Cave Bear. I admit my expectations were low, but I am enjoying the book far more than I thought I would. Jean Auel has a GRRM-like nack of describing food and feasts. Who would have ever thought prehistoric food could sound so tasty!?!

Not sure about the next book. It'll be The Good Earth by Pearl Buck, The Sea Watch by Adrian Tchiakovsky or The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie. I also plan do a re-read of ASOIAF for this month to brush up on the novels before the HBO series debuts. It has been at least 6 or 7 years since I've read the first 3 books of the series.

Clan of the Cave Bear was the best book in the series.

Now reading Georgette Heyer's Friday's Child. It's not one of her better books.

Oh heck I'll jump into this too.

Just started reading Attila by William Napier. Only a few pages in but I like the writing style so far.

I would be reading The Crippled God but my copy from amazon was falling apart at the binding so they're sending me a replacement.

Finished Arms Commander by L.E. Modesitt Jr. Meh. Usually like most of his fantasy but this one felt very flat and kinda rushed. And, I get it, MEN BAD WOMAN GOOD. Jeez.

In the last couple months I've read:

- "The Red Wolf Conspiracy" by Redick: It started out pretty promising but was so ridiculously YA at the end, I completely lost interest. A pox on whoever recommended this in some thread on this board. Or at least a bad head cold.

- "The Warded Man" and "The Desert Spear" by Brett: Finished TWM a couple weeks ago and am about 1/4 of the way thru TDS. TWM was pretty good though I had to suspend my disbelief at certain points and some plot turns were rather abrupt. Arlen and Leesha seem pretty much like Gary/Mary-Sue characters too. Still, I'm liking it. Very easy reads, which is all I'm looking for right now.

Am also reading a book called "The Loan Officer's Guide to Residential Finance". I feel like stabbing myself in the eye after every chapter. I'm pretty sure I'm getting dumber by the page, too.

First comments on others. To the poster reading Diana Wynne Jones, have you read 8 days of Luke? Its out of print, but great if the library has it.

And I a hundred times agree on the Red Wolf Conspiracy. What a waste of space that was. It has the second book out, and I wont touch it. Me, a man who got through all of Confesser.

As for what I am reading, I am one book into The Long Price Quartet, and plan on shotgunning them. And also reading Curse of the Wolf Girl, by Martin Miller, which I thought i would get to last month, but got pushed back and back.

I finished Arthur C Clarke's Childhood's End. It was a very good book, but I found the ending extremely depressing. Lot's of good concepts that have been extensively borrowed by other authors/movies/television shows. Very good book, but at times there was a bit too much tell, and not enough show.

9/10

Started Abercrombie's The Heroes, and it's great so far. After that I plan to read The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi and then The Wise Man's Fear by Rothfuss.

Benny and shrimp (Grabben i graven bredvid is the Swedish title if I can trust wikipedia) by Katarina Mazetti. I needed a light and pleasant read and that one was just it.

The elegance of the hedgehog / l'élégance du hérisson by Muriel Barbery which could have been a great book had the author refrained from overusing stereotypes. Parisian intellectual snobberism? Yes I get it, just move on. Still it's an interesting book and I do recommend it.

Not sure what I'll read next. Lots of books on my TR pile.

and I'm still waiting for my Daniel Abraham's fix.

Finished The Hammer by KJ Parker. Not as fun as The Folding Knife, the build-up was a lot slower, and it occurs on a much smaller scale. But the last 100 or so pages were outstanding.

CONTEST: What should I read next? First post with an answer WINS!!!!!!

Options:

Vellum by Hal Duncan

Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets by David Simon

The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder

The Last Living Slut by Roxana Shirazi

Archived