grinachu, on 15 March 2011 - 12:50 PM, said:
Fair point. I can't recall off the top of my head, apart from iron did other things fall apart? If Usnea decays everything, then wood should rot.
I haven't really processed the dog biting a man, a woman with some of her clothes off, etc, list in NOTW with the Chandrian names in WMF. Do you want to take a shot? It might make sense to list the Chandrian and try and work what those details mean.
Alaxel- aka Haliax (The Artist formerly known as Lanre), shadow, never sleeps, has the power of Namers, has a secret purpose,
Stercus- thrall of iron, possible candidate to be bearded man
Cyphus- blue flame, enemy of Taborlin the Great
Ferule- aka Cinder, wears chain mail (possibly a military leader of some sort once?),
Dalcenti- never speaks
This is what I've got. I'm certain the names fit the description of these four:
Cyphus bears the blue flame.
Ferule chill and dark of eye.
- “Was there one with white hair and black eyes?”
- "In the background there was a bare tree, and he was standing on [water]."
- "There were drifts of snow around him too."
- That seems to describe winter. Maybe he causes winter to appear early.
Alaxel bears the shadow’s hame.
- "There was a second man, or rather the shape of a man in a great hooded robe. Inside the cowl of the robe was nothing but blackness. Over his head were three moons, a full moon, a half moon, and one that was just a crescent. Next to him were two candles. One was yellow with a bright orange flame. The other candle sat underneath his outstretched hand: it was grey with a black flame, and the space around it was smudged and darkened."
- Shadow is obvious.
- Maybe he only appears when there's a moon. Maybe during moonless nights, he's trapped in Faerie. Or he's afraid to get trapped in Faerie and remains indoors.
Pale Alenta brings the blight
- "a man next to a dead tree"
- Alenta causes plants to die
These three I'm not so certain about.
Usnea lives in nothing but decay.
- “And there was a woman….” She blushed. “With some of her clothes off.”
- The clothes decayed off her body, maybe.
Grey Dalcenti never speaks.
- another man with a dog biting his leg
- Animals don't like him, or he causes animals to die (which fits with theme).
- Though I don't see how not speaking is related to animals.
Stercus is in thrall of iron.
- There was a woman holding a broken sword
- I guess I was wrong. Her power does rust iron.
There seems to be a theme. The chandrians deteriorate the world around them. Stercus rusts metals. Dalcenti kills animals. Alenta kills plants. Udnea deteriorates organic objects. Ferule causes cold. Alaxel causes darkness. Cyphus... I don't know how Cyphus fits. Maybe he makes stuff more easily consumed by fire, making the fire turn blue (blue flame is hotter than orange flame).
When the Chandrians are done with the world, it'll be cold and dark place, with no animals or plants left alive, and nothing made by man (organic or metal) still whole. And whatever is left is burned down to the ground by blue-hot flame.
Edited by TeaSpoon, 15 March 2011 - 01:49 PM.