ADWD Official Release Date Thread #2

Werthead

I have no idea how a post titled 'twas beauty' with a picture of a movie from 35 years ago was 'unambiguous'. If it were unambiguous, the title of the other thread wouldn't have been 'hey guys I think it's done.' If it were unambiguous his editor wouldn't have clarified that it meant it was done. If it were unambiguous people wouldn't have posted on his LJ that they weren't sure what it meant.

You can say that you understood it, but it certainly wasn't unambiguous; saying otherwise just paints a person as being some kind of completely insane fanboi.

You don't have to dislike how he announced it or not, but disagreeing that it's unambiguous is just incorrect.

No. It is unambiguous. Either you know what GRRM means with Kong and it's unambiguous. Or you don't and then the post means absolutely nothing to you, it's neither ambiguous or unambiguous, it just means nothing. In that case you look around to find what it is about, and then you find out.

What you say is just like saying a sentence is ambiguous when you don't understand one of the words. It's not. Get a dictionary and you have the exact meaning.

The fact that there are lazy people who didn't try to open the dictionary themselves doesn't change anything.

Pod, my wife - someone you've actually met - has been reading his blog every single day and she was confused BECAUSE he said he was going to be straight with it and he wasn't.

C'est la vie.

You can conclude he deliberately set about to confuse everyone. Or he thought he was been clear.

I know what I believe. :)

And I echo what Valmy said about the "personnally destructive" comment.

No. It is unambiguous. Either you know what GRRM means with Kong and it's unambiguous. Or you don't and then the post means absolutely nothing to you, it's neither ambiguous or unambiguous, it just means nothing. In that case you look around to find what it is about, and then you find out.

What you say is just like saying a sentence is ambiguous when you don't understand one of the words. It's not. Get a dictionary and you have the exact meaning.

The fact that there are lazy people who didn't try to open the dictionary themselves doesn't change anything.

Do you actually understand what 'ambiguous' means?

Look, he said that he'd state that ADWD was done in a specific way. Regardless of whether or not you understand that he means ADWD=Kong, regardless of anything else, we can all agree that he did not announce it the way he said he was going to. Right?

So you can understand that it could mean that Kong means ADWD, and that means he's done - or you could take him at his word from a year ago and say that because he didn't say it the way he said he would, that means he's not done. What do you believe?

That's the thing - the ambiguity isn't because people are confused about Kong or didn't read it for a while or whatever. It's because they read his posts before, heard how he'll state the announcement, and then he didn't announce it that way. The ambiguity was created by GRRM. Hell, if he hadn't made the statement last year it would have been less ambiguous to people. They wouldn't have had that expectation.

You can conclude he deliberately set about to confuse everyone. Or he thought he was been clear.
I am 100% sure that he thought he was being clear. I think he had planned on this posting for a while and was happy to list it in the way he did because to him, Kong was a huge monkey at this point and vanquishing it IS a big deal.

But I also think that because he chose to do that, he introduced confusion that didn't need to be there. And I think that it would help his public image some to have some folks that could tell him these things.

[mod] That's enough.

I do not see the point of any more posts about whether GRRM has or has not announced previous firm deadlines: whether his entry on 'Kong is dead' is or is not ambiguous: whether or not he has updated his website with the completion news: or any of the connected nonsense that's been cropping up.

It's a fact that the MS is finished and is now being prepared for a 12th July release. This has been confirmed by GRRM's editor. You can see her announcement, you can even see a video of her holding the MS. And that's what this thread is about. The rest is just people pointlessly flapping their gums - on *both* sides of the debate. Cut it out and stick to the topic. [/mod]

It's a fact that the MS is finished and is now being prepared for a 7th July release. This has been confirmed by GRRM's editor. You can see her announcement, you can even see a video of her holding the MS. And that's what this thread is about. The rest is just people pointlessly flapping their gums - on *both* sides of the debate. Cut it out and stick to the topic

Well said

Wait July 7th release?

folks,

maybe some of the sane, not-paranoid nit-pickers amongst you can convince the other posters here and afar that yes, that photo of Kong lying dead at the foot of the WTC does really mean that the manuscript is finished, and that ADWD is done.

Yes, George said there would be an announcement on the website. However, our web mistress lives in New Mexico, and we've been a bit busy here in NYC what with meetings, last minute editing work with Anne and George in her office (and please, guys, can we at least muster enough votes to at least get Anne on the ballot next year for "Best Editor - Long Form" Hugo next year at ChiCon ? Between the excellent work she did with Connie Willis on Blackout/All Clear and the incisive and loving work she's done on the ADWD ms., well, she deserves a nomination at least, although she is not Big Name Editor that people include in their nominations automatically, no matter if that editor's work 'deserves' a nomination that year. We can argue about that particular category some other time when we're feeling SMOFish). We've been busy. I don't wanna brag, but he was named one of TIME magazine's most influential people of the year, and we had a big party to go, and many other meetings to do while here in the last 4 days. With many more to come.

George figured folks would grok the pix of Kong. (We tried to find a good image from the original, but the only ones we found we about the size of an LJ icon, and didn't size up, just became a mass of pixels). We were getting dressed to go out to Bayonne to belatedly celebrate our marriage with his family, he just wanted to go and be happy, and on a whim, decided to put up the now infamous Kong post that has some thinking he really didn't mean it, that somehow since we didn't call our web mistress with the news, that George had promised to put it up on his web site (yet had never prepared a statement to be released), yet alone timed it with Patti, he's somehow avoiding telling people 'the truth' about the condition of the ADWD ms.. Nope, he was just being George, and thought putting up the post would be a great thing, as he put on his clothes and I searched for my comfy shoes as the car service waited on a busy street to get us to Bayonne.

Those who think that George finished ADWD months or even years ago and has been waiting until the very-last minute or because of pressure by HBO/Bantam to announce yesterday that ADWD was finished and this has been some clever advertising ploy, well, my opinion is that those people probably also think our President, Barack Obama, was born in Kenya.

Really, tell these people to get a grip.

Love,

Parris

p.s.: yeah, there's still plenty of work back home to do, yes there's still some niggly bits of copy editing the last 5% or so of the manuscript one it's been typeset, and yes, the pub date is and will be, for the US, July 12, 2011.

But once that is done, I hope we can get some down time, a few vacation days, but look at his schedule already posted on the web site, he's going to Poland and Croatia , er, excuse my mistake, George is going to Slovenia during his June trip. He'll be doing some touring for the release of the book in July. We've got WorldCon in August, and a few vacation days planned with friends and my Godskids around the time of WorldCon, stopping at the Grand Canyon, riding for a while on the old rt. 66 roads, and then there's other events I can't talk about yet that will fill out a lot of the summer and early fall schedule. So maybe we'll get in a 'real' vacation/honeymoon sometime this fall. With snorkeling. Or penguins. Maybe both. It's been a long hard 5 years, and I, for one, would appreciate it if people let us live our lives like normal people and not do counts of how many days George spends watching football, or going to conventions he promised he's go to 3-4 years ago, (which, I continue to remind folks, is part of the business work for George, and the bonus of staying up late with the Bros or having dinner with friends of 40 years standing is the end of a work day for George and myself). How many of those people spend 50-60 hours a week running their own business? Or work for a company that demands that of them?

We're delighted that there is so much enthusiasm for George's work. We let the troll and haters comments roll off our backs, and we don't care that there's web sites dedicated to trashing George, we appreciate and love those who offer us kindness, and could never express our thankfulness to all the readers across the world that love these books, bought extra copies to give to friends, who have made the books, and, gods willing, the HBO series such great successes, and, in the cases of so many, have become our friends along the way.

love, love, love (it's easy!)

We let the troll and haters comments roll off our backs, and we don't care that there's web sites dedicated to trashing George, we appreciate and love those who offer us kindness, and could never express our thankfulness to all the readers across the world that love these books, bought extra copies to give to friends, who have made the books, and, gods willing, the HBO series such great successes, and, in the cases of so many, have become our friends along the way.

Haters are going to hate Parris. It is just the price of fame.

Give my congrats to George on getting the big monkey on his back and super congrats on your marriage!

Those who think that George finished ADWD months or even years ago and has been waiting until the very-last minute or because of pressure by HBO/Bantam to announce yesterday that ADWD was finished and this has been some clever advertising ploy, well, my opinion is that those people probably also think our President, Barack Obama, was born in Kenya.

Really, tell these people to get a grip.

:bowdown: Thank you for this.

Also, have fun on your vacation. George definitely deserves one after getting Kong off his back!

Cool. Is that 1647 MS pages? I couldn't work out if Anne said fifteen or sixteen :)

Ooh:

Confirmation of a Victarion POV chapter, I guess?

I heard fifteen.

Someone with mod powers (hint hint :P) should open a thread on the DwD forum to discuss these new spoilers.

But once that is done, I hope we can get some down time, a few vacation days, but look at his schedule already posted on the web site, he's going to Poland and Croatia in June. He'll be doing some touring for the release of the book in July. We've got WorldCon in August, and a few vacation days planned with friends and my Godskids around the time of WorldCon, stopping at the Grand Canyon, riding for a while on the old rt. 66 roads, and then there's other events I can't talk about yet that will fill out a lot of the summer and early fall schedule. So maybe we'll get in a 'real' vacation/honeymoon sometime this fall. With snorkeling. Or penguins. Maybe both. It's been a long hard 5 years, and I, for one, would appreciate it if people let us live our lives like normal people and not do counts of how many days George spends watching football, or going to conventions he promised he's go to 3-4 years ago, (which, I continue to remind folks, is part of the business work for George, and the bonus of staying up late with the Bros or having dinner with friends of 40 years standing is the end of a work day for George and myself). How many of those people spend 50-60 hours a week running their own business? Or work for a company that demands that of them?

You two have earned a long honeymoon. Enjoy it!

Archived