This is how authors self destruct

The faceless others

You obviously didn't read the second clean copy I requested you download that was also reformatted, so this is a very unfair review. My Amazon readers/reviewers give it 5 stars and 4 stars and they say they really enjoyed The Greek Seaman and thought it was well written. Maybe its just my style and being English is what you don't get. Sorry it wasn't your cup of tea, but I think I will stick to my five star and four star reviews thanks.

Yeah. I always fail when I read books by you Eurocommies. That's the only way this reviewer could have ranked this book so badly. And every time I ePublish something I make absolutely certain to put up a rough draft for sale and then a "real" copy.

/lol

I always find these author self-destruction events hilarious.

I find it hard to believe she was born in 1954. Given her error-riddled writing and childish temper tantrum, I'd been thinking she couldn't be over 20.

Not to mention that her profile (from both Smashwords and her blog) reads like the heroine of one of her romance novels. Greek (undoubtedly beautiful) mother marries dashing English RAF officer while he is stationed in a foreign country. They move to London and she finds work in the fashion industry. Parents divorce and daughter does not see father for 20-odd years. Author marries Greek sea captain and they sail the world.... Hmmm.

As for nuts, read her bio on Smashwords. Is she real? It sounds like she's made herself up as one of her heroines.

Ahaha. The horror.

the confusing beginnings of the first computers taking over, that empted the paper shelves to discs were all part of the horrors that made her flee to North Wales

This from the person who self-published a book only on Kindle?

Her amazon.co.uk reviews features this gem:

Imagine my disappointment when I listened to this, expecting "an exciting sea adventure with enough suspense and romance" to make me laugh and cry, set in exotic locations like Greece, Lebanon and, topically enough, Libya. And what did I get? A dry tale of accountancy procedural changes set against the social upheaval of 1960s Margate. Will our heroine manage to adapt to new guidelines regarding small-to-medium sized company payroll dates and get a new dress in time for Friday's big dance? I neither know nor care, frankly. One star only, and that is solely for the cover art - I was impressed, if not entirely surprised, that it featured the story's single interesting character, the mysterious and enigmatic freak man with a female head growing from the small of his back. His moving death scene, where he is killed by a swarm of revenge-crazed bees, stands as Howett's tour de force. Sadly the rest of the story does not even scale the foothills of this mountainous peak of dramatic storytelling.

...and one positive review, from someone with her surname. This whole affair has kept me entertained through a dull afternoon :D

A few thoughts about this trainwreck:

-An unfortunate side-affect of this going so viral is that I bet her sales have increased significantly from all of this.

-It's nice to be reminded of why I refuse to read/review self-published authors.

-I'm seriously considering using 'Fuck Off' as the only comment I'll ever make on any blog - even my own.

-Am I the only one that can't help giggling (OK, it's actually more of a Butthead, chuckle) at the title of her book - The Greak Seaman. *huu huu huu huu*

Certainly her sales will increase a bit from going viral, especially since, as a self-published author, they were no doubt abysmally low before, but she'll never make it to the professional level, nor make significant money off her books.

Was there more to the Anne Rice rant than that one paragraph? I read the original when it happened, but I can't remember. Reading it again, it wasn't too unprofessional of her. Certainly uncalled for, but at least she was decently polite and tried to come up with a defense rather than a, "Fuck off!"

What I got from this is that when you pay to get your own book published, you're not "self-published", you're "indie", it sounds much cooler.

Thing is, there is an actual indie music scene. There's no reason there shouldn't be an indie book scene... except that it's easier to tell that you suck at playing the guitar than at writing.

Was there more to the Anne Rice rant than that one paragraph? I read the original when it happened, but I can't remember. Reading it again, it wasn't too unprofessional of her. Certainly uncalled for, but at least she was decently polite and tried to come up with a defense rather than a, "Fuck off!"

Yeah, this has more echoes of the Candace Sams affair that I discovered while TVtroping creator meltdowns of this sort.

My trip also reminded me of the time when Aaron Sorkin devoted an entire episode of The West Wing to crying over one of these incidents...

As for nuts, read her bio on Smashwords. Is she real? It sounds like she's made herself up as one of her heroines.

I think the bit where Heavy Metal bands and early computers forced her to move to the mythical land of Wales is the most bizarre part of the bio.

I think the bit where Heavy Metal bands and early computers forced her to move to the mythical land of Wales is the most bizarre part of the bio.

The question now is, is she a sham(well ok obviously she is), or is she actually nuts?

Why should we expect professionalism from someone who is, well, not a professional? Amateur artists getting pissed over criticism isn't too uncommon, nor should it be surprising. They don't have enough to lose to truly keep their emotions in check, as professional authors do. When it's a published author, they risk their career by outbursts like this, but for a hobbyist they're only risking their hobby.

Archived