My Library's Fantasy Recomendations

SkynJay

It's a fantasy list, so LeGuin not being there isn't exactly surprising. A Wizard of Earthsea could easily go on there but I wouldn't call it a huge hole.

All in all, it's not a terrible list for just a general one. Some stuff I'd absolutely chuck off there, but most of it's good enough for the list to suit it's purpose.

OK, I'm not in the mood to get into another argument about gender in fantasy writing right now (I'll just say that "the market" is not nearly so male-dominated as that, though your own personal reading list may be), so I'll just point out that there is indeed YA fantasy on the list. What did you think the Abhorsen books were?

I have never read Nix, and I am sorry if I have offended. I admit most the women authors I have read are YA (Jones, Rawling) or urban fantasy(Vaughn, and a few newer authors).

As the discussion was about who has been left off the list, lets hear suggestions. I have alreafy said Parker, and I still have a soft spot for Pern. But Lets hear more.

I am always looking for new books and new recs.

I have never read Nix, and I am sorry if I have offended. I admit most the women authors I have read are YA (Jones, Rawling) or urban fantasy(Vaughn, and a few newer authors).

As the discussion was about who has been left off the list, lets hear suggestions. I have alreafy said Parker, and I still have a soft spot for Pern. But Lets hear more.

Wait, what, Jones is YA? Are you talking about a different Jones that's on the list? Cause no way in hell is J. V. Jones YA.

We just had a thread on this.

Wait, what, Jones is YA? Are you talking about a different Jones that's on the list? Cause no way in hell is J. V. Jones YA.

Probably thinking of Diana Wynne.

Just off the top of my head I would add Bujold, Moon, Cat Valente, Kelly Link and I stand by Le Guin.

I'm not saying these are definitively among the 25 best of all time, just that if Brent Weeks' utterly pedestrian Night Angel series is on the list, than any of these authors have something better IMO.

Brent Weeks shouldn't be on the IP address next to a list of Fantasy Recommendations, let alone on the list itself.

And seriously, where's the YA on that list?

I'd put Kate Elliott on that list, and I stand by that. And if you disagree ill hit you with my hardcover Wise Man's Fear(I seriously cant get over how that thing is!)

Weeks is alright. I'd certainly read him over the Yeard or all this vampire teen shit. HEard his newer book is a huge step up from his first series. I should get to that.

Oh and I'll throw Jane Lindskold out there. Totally underrated and under represented around here.

I was speaking of Diana Wynne Jones. Thank you friend. Was on phone and cant do double windows to check spelling.

Who should not be on the list?

Weeks seems to be the consensus, and I want the Magicians off the list myself.

I've never read the magicians because everyone I know tell me it blows, so, maybe it shouldn't be on there. I'll hold judgment on Weeks til I read the new one I suppose.

I guess it depends how you look at it. AS a general recommended list or a top 25?

I like Sanderson and Lynch but I don't know if I'd put them that high up. I also think Gaimman's novel work is WAY overrated.

And holy shit, where the hell is Novak? That and KJ Parker seem like the two big omissions.

Edit: Holy shit balls, there's no GLEN COOK. Lists with no Cook are disqualified.

I liked The Magicians. It's meant as a deconstruction of the fantasy genre though, as in "magic/traveling to other worlds wouldn't actually be awesome," and as far as I can tell people don't like it because they go in expecting something more traditional and escapist. Not sure I'd put it on a top 25 list, but it's certainly not bad.

I'd definitely take Sanderson off. Mistborn is an entertaining romp but hardly "best fantasy EVAR." And Lynch--might be just the wrong reader for it but I couldn't get through Lies.

Sarah Micklem would definitely be on my list.

I guess it depends how you look at it. AS a general recommended list or a top 25?

It's obviously a recommendation list. At least, in the situation the OP is describing it as being used. Which means not exactly Top 25, but I guess more "here's some popular stuff and hidden gems" or whatever.

Been a while since I read Acacia (received an ARC before release), but I didn't like it. Disliked most of the characters, the characterization, the narrative style (heavy on the tell, light on showing--especially concerning "dialogue"), and character actions that came from nowhere or clashed with earlier information to advance the plot. This was four years ago though, so specifics are out of the question.

OK, I'm not in the mood to get into another argument about gender in fantasy writing right now (I'll just say that "the market" is not nearly so male-dominated as that, though your own personal reading list may be), so I'll just point out that there is indeed YA fantasy on the list. What did you think the Abhorsen books were?

Probably badly worded, but I'm not talking of the market for the whole fantasy genre, but for the category the author of this list is obviously looking for (traditional/epic), even if it's not strict either. The examples given above just don't fit on that list, although some would be fine in a "general" top25 fantasy list. (and some entries feel out of place because of that too).

I've never read the magicians because everyone I know tell me it blows, so, maybe it shouldn't be on there. I'll hold judgment on Weeks til I read the new one I suppose.

I like Sanderson and Lynch but I don't know if I'd put them that high up. I also think Gaimman's novel work is WAY overrated.

The Magicians isn't everyone's cup of tea, that's for sure, but I think it's actually quite good.

I would put Susanna Clarke on any list of good fantasy.

Gaiman- hmm, I'm inclined to agree with you, specifically about his novels. His short stories, a study in emerald or the problem of susan are brilliant. His novels, I don't know. I never cared for American Gods, though Anansi boys was better. Is there a stand-out novel (apart from Good Omens which was 75% Pratchett I think) he has written?

To me a recommendation list goes two ways. What you recommend to those either new to the genre, or people who burned out of it a while back. And two, what you recommend to people who just read recently got in, and want to know where to go from their.

I personally would keep Lynch on the list, I think he is one of the more enjoyable authors out their and could switch over some people who think they hate fantasy.

I loved American Gods, but my wife only got halfway through it, so I understand that its not everyone's thing. And since it is a standalone, I am not sure this list was a great place for it (and to answer the last posters question, his stand alone novel, not in YA section, is Neverwhere, which was actually a mini series he wrote, then novelized).

Ok, so at the library i grab the book mark to see what they are using for a recommendation. Turns out they just copied this guys list

http://www.bestfantasybooks.com/top25-fantasy-books.php

So I must put it out there, what do you think?

I think it is very sad that a library is using it for recommendations. Anyone can post a list of their favorites, who cares, but you'd think a library recommendation list would offer up a more diverse range of what fantasy offers.

Archived