My Library's Fantasy Recomendations

SkynJay

The thing is, this list doesn't try to be a list of "traditional, epic" fantasy. The Magicians and Jonathan Strange are both definitely in the literary category, and neither is set in medieval times nor possesses the other trappings of traditional epic fantasy. American Gods is a literary-type urban fantasy set in the modern U.S. The Dresden Files books are straight-up urban fantasy. The Abhorsen Trilogy is YA and also not traditional medieval fantasy. And the list is specifically billed as a "best fantasy EVAR" list, not a "most popular authors in quasi-medieval epic adult fantasy" list; it doesn't define itself as limited to one particular subgenre, although the author's preferences clearly tend that way.

And even if we look at just the "traditional, epic" authors on the list, I can easily think of plenty of female authors of traditional, epic fantasy who equal or surpass the likes of Sanderson or Feist, many of whom have already been mentioned in this thread.

So, you know, take it for what it's worth. It got me to look up the Acacia books and I think I might now read them. But yeah, it is disproportionately male.

This list was actually what caused me to pick up Song of Ice and Fire sometime last year. Granted, the list has been modified a little since then...

I feel like I should read Erikson and Jordan, but the sheer length is intimidating.

Dresden Files and American Gods are overrated, and I'm sad to see that since I last looked at the list Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle has been dropped. At the same time, I'm glad to see that Sword of Truth was bumped.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell keeps popping up on top fantasy lists...I might eventually have to give in and try it out.

Gormenghast wasn't on it last time I checked...I must admit I'm intrigued.

The thing is, this list doesn't try to be a list of "traditional, epic" fantasy. The Magicians and Jonathan Strange are both definitely in the literary category, and neither is set in medieval times nor possesses the other trappings of traditional epic fantasy. American Gods is a literary-type urban fantasy set in the modern U.S. The Dresden Files books are straight-up urban fantasy. The Abhorsen Trilogy is YA and also not traditional medieval fantasy. And the list is specifically billed as a "best fantasy EVAR" list, not a "most popular authors in quasi-medieval epic adult fantasy" list; it doesn't define itself as limited to one particular subgenre, although the author's preferences clearly tend that way.

And even if we look at just the "traditional, epic" authors on the list, I can easily think of plenty of female authors of traditional, epic fantasy who equal or surpass the likes of Sanderson or Feist, many of whom have already been mentioned in this thread.

So, you know, take it for what it's worth. It got me to look up the Acacia books and I think I might now read them. But yeah, it is disproportionately male.

Anyone who thinks sci/fantasy is male dominated hasn't been to a book store in the last 10 years or so. Urban fantasy alone is filled with female authors. And i'm not including paranormal romance and such. And really, tradition fantasy isn't as male oriented as people think. I remember growing up in the 90s thinking it was a FEMALE oriented genre, cause most of the books I read then were by female authors.

You people need to read you some Katherine Kerr, ASAP.

I just picked up Sarah Micklem first book. If it's not any good I blame all of you. Or maybe just Liadin there.

Edit: Oh man I'm looking at the comments for the first time and having trouble controlling my laughter....

You people need to read you some Katherine Kerr, ASAP.

She seems to have several series. Which is best?

I just picked up Sarah Micklem first book. If it's not any good I blame all of you. Or maybe just Liadin there.

It's okay, I take full responsibility. :P

She seems to have several series. Which is best?

It's okay, I take full responsibility. :P

As far as I know her Deverry novels are the only series she has going. Start with Daggerfall.

Oh she has some new urban thing going. I had no idea.

And I think people don't like Anne McCaffrey because she seems to have flooded the market with, well, a lot of crap. I never read the later Pern books so I can;t really comment. But I swear that woman has 4 new books a month.

I think her son is the main writer these days, but I haven't read any Pern since All the Weyrs, so I don't know either.

I also have no read any of there other items, though they seem more sci-fi by description.

And WAIT A MINUTE!

Phostopheles, did you just say Sword of Truth was on that list last year!

Ok, topic over, start a new thread people.

Phostopheles, did you just say Sword of Truth was on that list last year!

I kid you not. I believe they were just referring to Wizard's First Rule, not the series as a whole. Which I sort of approve of, as the first book was...okay. It wasn't until about book 4 that Goodkind started injecting his books with psuedo-intellectual Randian monologues.

Gotta love the commenters who think he should still be there:

I'm finding this list to be a compendium of books I've never heard of. (Besides Tolken) I'm looking for new things but I couldn't read Robert Jorden if some one topped it with sugar and gold. I found his books way over done.

However, Orsen Scott Card and Terry Goodkind are two of the most interesting writers I have ever come across. If no one has read these, Please go and find them. Terry's "Wizards First Rule" is still a book I can turn back to when I have nothing new in my hands while Orsen's many different stories whether they are Scifi Fantasy or Straight Fantasy draw me in and never let me go. Check them out!!

Actually, what seems most bizarre to me is that this person hasn't heard of most of the list.

Gotta love the commenters who think he should still be there:

Actually, what seems most bizarre to me is that this person hasn't heard of most of the list.

I died a little inside reading that...

also this:

Oh, COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No Harry Potter??? That is a disgrace. And for whoever said Harry Potter is crap, you have never read it and have no idea what you are talking about.

You know, the comments comparing Jordan to Goodkind, with Goodkind coming out favorable... it almost makes me cry. I mean, I understand people not liking Jordan, but how can you like Goodkind and dislike Jordan? Goodkind practically stole every idea from Jordan and only did worse with them.

ETA: I liked Harry Potter as well. I mean, it didn't bring me into the world of fantasy like Cooper's Dark is Rising, but its an enjoyable YA fantasy. Certainly above the filth that is the T word, or the Yeard.

ETA: I liked Harry Potter as well. I mean, it didn't bring me into the world of fantasy like Cooper's Dark is Rising, but its an enjoyable YA fantasy. Certainly above the filth that is the T word, or the Yeard.

I think it's roughly on par with The Dark is Rising. It's by no means bad...for children's fiction.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

The site man updated his list.

Took off The Magicians, Mistborn, Brent Weeks, and The Warded Man.

Added Glen Cook, Daniel Abraham, KJ Bishop, and The Way of Kinds by Sanderson(so he just swapped series by the same author).

Comments are still hilarious. Was thrilled to so Long Price make the list, dissapointed that still no KJ Parker. You added one KJ, add another!

Archived