A Clash Of Kings General Discussion *MAJOR SPOILERS*

DragonAge93

So, yesterday I started ACoK, and let me say, the prologue is brilliant. Maester Cressen was a character I really felt sorry for, getting pushed out of the way by Sanssin. And already we are shown that Melisandre is going to be a threat to the people of Westeros. Just the way she is described, all dressed in red and such, it really sets the mood for her character. And how she reversed the poison of the strangler at the end of the chapter, thought it was pretty intense. Can't wait to delve deeper into this book.

Got done with Arya and Sansa's first POVs.

ARYA:

Very good intro to Arya's current situation. I really feel sorry for her, about her father, because I feel the same way. It was nice to see her lay the beating on them two asses. And I liked how Yoren said that her father wasn't supposed to die, only to be taken to the Wall. That must've pissed Arya off even more. I want Arya to go back to Winterfell, but then again, I want her to see Jon again, and to see the two interact after the death of their father.

SANSA:

Man, Sansa is really in trouble here. I like how throughout the chapter she says that Joffrey once made her feel all happy inside, now it just brings hatred to her heart. The tourney in honor of his name day was really fun to read, as I love jousts and the like. I felt sorry for Tommen when he fell of his horse and Joffrey just laughed and didn't give a worry if he was hurt. And the drunk knight. Sansa saving him was a nice touch, but having Sandor come in and back her up was even nicer. I really like how GRRM is showing the Hound protecting Sansa in any way he can. And alas, Tyrion comes. I was looking forward to this since his last POV in AGoT. I like his witty remarks, and I think it will go along great with Joffrey's snotty attitude.

And again, read two more chapters yesterday.

TYRION:

I always love reading Tyrion's POV. Always has them witty comebacks that seem somewhat of a burn to the characters. Especially his little talk with Cersei, and how he knows what she and Jaime do. Him getting slapped every sentence he said was hilarious in my mind, and I can't wait to see if they portray that in season 2 of GoT. And I also like how he says Littlefinger will get what's coming to him. Tyrion makes a lot of threats to people, but I don't think anything has happened to any of them. All in all, I can't wait to see how Tyrion brings "justice" to King's Landing (hopefully by putting that little prick Joffrey's head on a spike?)

BRAN:

I always have a ping of sadness whilst reading Bran. How energetic he was, how he wanted to be a knight. Now he's reduced to sitting, looking out the window. His howling with the direwolves was pretty funny, how Luwin couldn't get him to stop, and we get a nice "Hodor" line or two, which is always a pleasure. I also liked how the sleeping draft apparently didn't work, as Bran is still running with the wolves in the end.

• 3 weeks later...

After reading this book, I've developed a mixed view of Sansa. I'm glad she's slowly realizing that her idealistic world of knights, love and honor is an illusion, but I do wish she'd hurry up with it. She's probably never going to quite let go of that idea, and it'd be interesting to see what's to become of her now that Joff has lost interest in her. I'd have guessed that she'd end up given to Ser Loras, only to have him turn out to be a cruel man, but that's already happened with Joff, and I don't think the author is quite unimaginative enough to repeat that, heh. My guess is she'll be wed to The Hound or Ser Lancel, more likely the Hound seeing as Lancel is already "occupied" as it were.

Jon's story really kicked off toward the end and left off with a bloody awesome cliffhanger, and I can't wait till my copies of Storm of Swords arrives to begin it.

After reading this book, I've developed a mixed view of Sansa. I'm glad she's slowly realizing that her idealistic world of knights, love and honor is an illusion, but I do wish she'd hurry up with it. She's probably never going to quite let go of that idea, and it'd be interesting to see what's to become of her now that Joff has lost interest in her. I'd have guessed that she'd end up given to Ser Loras, only to have him turn out to be a cruel man, but that's already happened with Joff, and I don't think the author is quite unimaginative enough to repeat that, heh. My guess is she'll be wed to The Hound or Ser Lancel, more likely the Hound seeing as Lancel is already "occupied" as it were.

Reading the posts in this subforum it is very difficult not to make "tee hee" posts. Reading this paragraph finally cracked my resolve.

Welcome and keep reading. You have much more fun in store.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read 3/4 of the book so far. Love it!!

My favorite are still Tyrion (I would pay a lot for a diner with him), Dany, Arya and Jon.

I do not understand why Arya didnt tell who she was to the northmen she freed in harrenhal?

Who is jaqen, and his coin?

I hope Arya and Gendry will find a way to escape together, I d love to this those 2 having a romance, but later she is still young

I do not know if we can trust Osha, and ser jorah???

I love that the magic is comming

Did anyone else feel less-than-satisfied with the ending of aCoK?? It's not that the book itself was not great, it was awesome, but the full stop was put at the wrong place, i think. maybe a little later or maybe a little earlier would've been better. aGoT made me nearly tear the box set in my hurry to get to this book, but I don't feel nearly as crazy to pull out aSoS.

Just about done with CoK for the third time. Begun GoT just before the show aired.

Has been many years between reads. It's amazing how much you pick up on when there is determination and drive to digest every detail. I feel like I cannot watch the show with determination and grit unless I know the books inside out. Which has highlighted a few things for me;

Tyrion has sofened a bit for me. He was always funny, witty, but still angsty with the world and cynical of his lot in life.

Jon grew for me, and his position in the NW is more than earned with ability and instinct.

I really do enjoy all the other characters. I have lightened a bit on my toughness on Sansa, i mean really she should grow up faster.

And I'm waiting every day until I am at the Red Wedding. I am no fan of Cat.

Love!

Haven't been reading in a while. Been busy (exams, watching Game Of Thrones/Camelot, reading some of Wheel Of Time, playing WoW :P) But now I'm definitely doing some intense ASoIaF reading. After reading Davos' POV, I really want to see what is going to become of Stannis with the sword he was given by Melisandre, and this God that she says will give him power of some sort.

I am almost through with the book now

Arya:

I Love her, for real, she has been my favourite character since book 1.

I never really felt sorry for her, even though she sometimes felt sorry for herself, and thats ok she is only 10. To me, she is one of the strongest characters in this book, and she is still so innocent and young. (I love how Martin writes her PoV's lol, so young... he doesnt let you forget that she is a child.)

A death list for a prayer... hmmm. <3 her even more. I can just imagine how beat up she looks now, so far from a "Lady" eh.

Jon:

There aint much to say about Jon for this book. I love how he has accepted his life, a bastard of the Knight's Watch. I hope by book 7 we find out who his mother is. I am hoping that he will make it through to book 7 as well. In my head he is the Hero in the making, of this whole series. There is something about Ghost that makes me believe that this one is destined for greatness.

I loved him just for being a bastard anyway... and for loving/resembling Arya. My two favourite Characters.

Sansa:

Speaking of Lady... i disliked Sansa from the get go, from book 1. I dont find much pity for her in The Clash f Kings because I sort of believe this is the destiny that awaits women like her. She is just like her mother, younger and mre foolish, but still she is just like her. (i dont care much for Catelyn either, i tolerate her.)

Anyway, the death f Lady is a sign to me. The fact that Lady was the weakest of the bunch, that is also a sign. There is something within all the children that is absent in Sansa. I saw this from book 1 the way she treats her little sister and Jon. It is reflected still in this book as she still blames Lady's death on Arya, instead of Joffrey.

I basically disliked her from the day she lied that she didnt remember what happened when Nymeria ripped up Joffrey's arm.

Bran & Rickon:

Poor baby Bran, so very sorry for himself but I understand why. He really loved climbing. awwww.

Aint nothing much I can say about him though, he just has to lear to live with his disabilities and accept his gifts. Strangely though, when thr whole cripple factor sunk in, i was sort of hoping he would grow to be mre pwerful that all his kin, via magic or some other gift... and since the magic factor of this book is SOOOOO LOW, I settled with the hope that he would be a grand maester or something. A WARG definitely blew me out of the water :D

Rickon is such a lil wild thing. LOL. I loved when shaggy dog bit up the maesters arm down in the crypts.. It seems like Rickon got a strong dose of Wildling blood in him :D

Daenerys:

My next favourite character below Jon(I guess you can see that i love "strong" women). Nothing much happens for her in the book, in my opinion. Book 1 was a better show for her but still I have great respect for her.

Rob:

I dont much like Rob "the lord". Too much like Sansa, high and haughty. But I guess it is required for kingship. Dont care much for him anyway... bleh. Greywind too, has no personality.

I Like how Theon betrayed his ass, idk why he hung out with that idiot from the start. Hated theon's guts from the first chapter of the first book where he killed the executed man's head. No I am in his head and I am like... SAVAGE.

Haven't been reading in a while. Been busy (exams, watching Game Of Thrones/Camelot, reading some of Wheel Of Time, playing WoW :P) But now I'm definitely doing some intense ASoIaF reading. After reading Davos' POV, I really want to see what is going to become of Stannis with the sword he was given by Melisandre, and this God that she says will give him power of some sort.

Stannis is an IDIOT... he is SOLID... THICK and solid.

I dont even think he really wants to be king, the whole war for him is a Sibling Rivalry issue. Just because Robert didnt pass it t him, like some many other things that Robert denied him.

Sort of sorry for him, thanks to his dead maester/"father's" PoV from the prologue.

And see how he grudges Ned even though Ned was trying to give him the throne. This is a child man.

As for the witch, I am waiting to see the colour of her blood. (evil smile - we d get t see it but, you get the picture)

Finished some more chapters.

JON POV

Very interesting reading about the wildling villages being deserted. Makes me wonder what the hell is going on (most likely the White Walkers/Others). I like the interaction between Mormont and Jon, and am eager to see where their relationship goes, since it seems Mormont is like a second father to him.

ARYA POV

This chapter was VERY good. Arya and the other Night's Watch crew taking hold up in a run down castle, only to have Lannister guards come and fighting ensues was brilliant. Didn't like how Arya freed them prisoners in the wagon... Now I'm worried about what they're going to do next.....

• 3 weeks later...

I've just finished A Clash of Kings :D

I loved it from the start, even though I did find it a bit slow in parts, and I had to struggle to read every line word for word instead of trying to race through it as I normally do with books.

My thoughts so far:

I think that the Wall is going to be the most important character in a way of the whole series. The first book started with the Nights Watch beyond the Wall, so I have a feeling that it could end with the Wall as well.

I am fully convinced that Jon is not Ned Stark's son, but is Lyanna's son to Rhaegar, and I believe that Jon will prove to be a major character going further.

Favourite Main Characters:

Tyrion

Arya

Jon

I loved Dany in GOT, but not so much in COK, it just felt a little like she didn't 'do' anything for most of the book, hopefully though there'll be more from her in the next.

I also love the Hound. In an ironic way, he's the knight that Sansa dreams of - he's always tried to help her as much as he could, only she's too afraid of his scars and his reputation. I was hoping that she would go with him during the battle at Kings Landing.

Character I most wanted to hurt:

Theon Greyjoy. Didn't really like him from the start, but I hated him with a passion during this book.

Well I'm off to start SOSP1 now, I'm hoping that I won't get burned out by reading them all in quick succession!

I'm about 600 pages in to CoK now - I found a bit slow going at first, but have really got into as it has gone along.

It has really surprised me which of the story lines I have enjoyed the most in this book & which have been a bit slow going...

• Dany -- by the end of GoT, I was loving Dany's story, but this hasn't really progressed a great deal in CoK.
  • Arya & Jon -- whilst both enjoyable, also haven't really moved along as fast as I would have liked (although that could change before the end of the book).
  • Sansa -- I wouldn't say I am big fan of Sansa really, but her story has been quite gripping... the tension there is brilliantly written, and you are constantly kept waiting for someone or something to sweep in an lift her out of this horrible situation.
  • Theon -- I wasn't really expecting him to become a POV character - has a great story... he has spent 10 years captive with the Starks, only to finally get home and find it very different to how he had imagined. Throughout the story, you can see his character slowly disintegrating as events slip more and more out of his control.
  • Tyrion -- of course it goes without saying that Tyrion is brilliant!! Best character by far!

Which story lines have others enjoyed the most?

Archived