[Book Spoilers] EP103 Discussion

Ran

Game of Thrones continues to make an hour seem to last about ten minutes. Loved that we finally get to the capital to meet Littlefinger and Varys. I think some people might have a problem with the Viserys/Dany scene but I actually don't mind the change. It shows how weak Viserys is, that seconds after screaming about how he is the king, he is meekly made to submit by Rakharo, who at this point is just a rider.

I liked the Cersei/Joffrey scene. Jack Gleeson is impressing me as Joffrey so far. He is arrogant, immature, obviously cruel, and you already wish GRRM had killed him off earlier just because he is such a little prick. I also enjoyed the scene with Robert, Ser Barristan and Jaime.

About that scene -- why did Jorah have to ride all the way to Qohor to get a goat? Is that just a reference for fans of the book to the Black Goat of Qohor?

I assumed it was the nearest city to be able to send a raven, and he was using getting a goat for Dany as his cover. (I didn't remember the black goat of Qohor, hahaha.)

Just so! I have to watch it again, but did she tell Bran about spiders north of the Wall as big as houses? Spiders?

As big as hounds (which is from the book iirc). Of course I've always hoped/imagined them as big as houses/elephants but thats just my delusion..

I liked the Cersei/Joffrey scene. Jack Gleeson is impressing me as Joffrey so far. He is arrogant, immature, obviously cruel, and you already wish GRRM had killed him off earlier just because he is such a little prick. I also enjoyed the scene with Robert, Ser Barristan and Jaime.

Au contraire, I love that we get to glory in his smug bastardness, knowing what is coming! It's building anticipation!!

Also, did they mention Barristan's name? Missed it if they did.

Syrio! Squeeee!

Yup. Me too.

He doesn't look anything like the Syrio in my head while reading, but he is stil a perfect Syrio on screen. Awesome. Just so.

(Of all the characters I wish were still alive, I put him on the top. Yes, I secretly hope he's a face dancer and still alive somewhere)

The hour episodes are becoming kind of confining, though. They have too much to cram in each week to touch on the myriad number of stories. They are doing a good job of giving us enough of the key players each week, but I hope thye can keep it up as characters embark on their own storylines.

It's funny that everyone seems to think this episode was slower. For me it was faster than either of the first two episodes, zipping back and forth between locations and characters. It was too much. But I've got to rewatch it now, and then maybe I'll have more coherent thoughts.

No Direwolves, booooooooooooooooo.

It was ok. Non readers are not going to be digging this episode.

I disagree.

I think, being fans of the books, we may be trying to expect too much and are projecting that on the non-reader audience. In this episode, people got to fall in love with Jon and Tyrion. They got to experience the desolation of the Wall and the Night's Watch. They found out Bran is a cripple. They find out about Ned/Little Finger/Cat. They get Robert's reminiscing about his glory days and more back story on the Kingslayer. Dany is taking control and Jorah openly chose her over her brother, the "rightful king"

Perhaps not a lot of action but tons of juicy tidbits.

And Arya gets to learn sword fighting!

About that scene -- why did Jorah have to ride all the way to Qohor to get a goat? Is that just a reference for fans of the book to the Black Goat of Qohor?

Hah, I just thought they were trying to come up with a lame excuse so people question his motives, to foreshadow Jorah's spying.

Au contraire, I love that we get to glory in his smug bastardness, knowing what is coming! It's building anticipation!!

Was the King's Guard guy Robert was talking to Barristan? I thought it must have been, but I always picture Barristan to look more like Gandalf or Dumbledore. Long white hair, massive white beard.

My non-reader friend loved it, so no worries. He sat there at the end and said, "I keep hoping if I sit here long enough, they'll play the next episode." :lol:

Husband feels the same way. He also commented that he likes the screen writing. Thinks D&D did an awesome job, but then says they had a great book to start with (he only has my word, but he seems sure of that)

True. It is awesome watching these characters doing their thing. Baelor's Sept will be one hell of a scene. They didn't mention Barristan's name in that scene, I just assumed it was him because he was an older man and mentioned the Kingswood Brotherhood.

As big as hounds (which is from the book iirc). Of course I've always hoped/imagined them as big as houses/elephants but thats just my delusion..

Only in Superman (or the Wild Wild West) should there ever be house-sized spiders.

It is known.

Was the King's Guard guy Robert was talking to Barristan? I thought it must have been, but I always picture Barristan to look more like Gandalf or Dumbledore. Long white hair, massive white beard.

I always imagined him with a beard too--is that in the books? Been so long since I've read them!

But yeah, I was like "Who is this?!" for a while and then decided it must be Barristan.

They're definitely writing Cersei as much smarter than she ought to be. And oh, how annoying it is. She's not displaying "low cunning", she's being a Tywin with tits.

Syrio stuff, spoilered just to be sure:

It will be interesting if they get the same actor who played Syrio to also play Jaqen Hagar in the second season. Maybe get him to shave off that fuzz on his face, lose some pounds, straighten out those ridiculous jheri curls and lengthen his hair and it could be done.

I think he was meant to represent some sort of meditteranean/italian fencing master, although it wasnt so specific in the books from what I recall.

The episode was ok, although expository in nature again. I think we'll see some sort of alternation of such episodes, with ep 4 racheting up the tension again. And yeah, Lancel was ridiculous.

Oh, was I the only one disappointed a bit with Renly? Yes, he was barely htere, but he came across as... nothing. Just a smile and a welcome. No personality.

My only nit pick of the episode, though.

Archived