[No Spoilers] EP103 Discussion

Ran

Re: Ondine

Indeed. Even readers had to wait to find out all the information at once. When we first met Littlefinger, for instance, we didn't know of his backstory with Cat and Ned, either. So, just be careful of jumping to the conclusion that the show is meant for the readers. We're at a different place because we have the benefit of retrospect from having read all 4 books. Doesn't mean that it's not fun for the non-book-reading viewers to find the puzzle pieces yourself. :)

ETA

Also, think of what fun it'd be to re-watch after the entire S1 is over. You'll be picking up these backstories just as much as the readers have. :)

I agree.

I loved the books the first time around so I was surprised that I loved them more when I re-read them. :)

You (Ondine) caught that Ned and Cat are tied up with "that guy" in some way, you just didn't recognise him as Petyr/Lord Baelish when introduced in a different context. If the showrunners wanted all of the information dropped in at once, they'd've done so. (Same with the books, as well - a lot of this stuff readers don't find out until much later.)

Indeed. Even readers had to wait to find out all the information at once. When we first met Littlefinger, for instance, we didn't know of his backstory with Cat and Ned, either. So, just be careful of jumping to the conclusion that the show is meant for the readers. We're at a different place because we have the benefit of retrospect from having read all 4 books. Doesn't mean that it's not fun for the non-book-reading viewers to find the puzzle pieces yourself. :)

The thing is that, in a show, when things are hinted but not revealed right away, I wait for it 'cause I know that eventually it will all become clear. But when something is hinted in GoT I don't know if it will be explained later or it's just there so that those who have read the books can enjoy those hints.

But, if you say that even in the books it's all revealed bit by bit, that it's ok, I withdraw my statement that it's just for those who read the books. :D

Nipick here. Rodrik pulls out the assassination blade and declares it's "Valyrian steel, with a dragonbone handle". But isn't the handle shown gold-colored metal? Why would dragonbone be shiny and metallic?

Ii was wondering what people thought about the conversation between Ned and Arya? It seems odd to me that Ned would say it was ok for Sansa to lie to the King and put Arya in potential peril just because Sansa is to be wed to Joffrey. I don't recall him saying that in the book and it seems very unlike Lord stark to say something like that.

I have loved the show so far and this is the only scene that has bothered me. Also, I guess like everybody else I would like to see more interaction between the kids and the Direwolves. They are an important part.

I don't think Arya was in peril with Ned there, and Sansa is a child, so I don't think her white lie of not remembering is being held to the same standards as a more serious lie, or if she had wrongly said that Joffrey's version of the story was correct. Her "I don't remember" was her way of saying she wasn't going to back up either story, so in a loose manner of speaking she was "pleading the 5th". For Sansa to speak against her betrothed and future King would have been a mistake. She was put into an awful no-win situation and I think Ned was trying to explain that to Arya (and to the audience watching the show). Being a fan of Sansa (despite her bratty behavior of season 1 and the first book) I appreciated the scene.

I don't think Arya was in peril with Ned there, and Sansa is a child, so I don't think her white lie of not remembering is being held to the same standards as a more serious lie, or if she had wrongly said that Joffrey's version of the story was correct. Her "I don't remember" was her way of saying she wasn't going to back up either story, so in a loose manner of speaking she was "pleading the 5th". For Sansa to speak against her betrothed and future King would have been a mistake. She was put into an awful no-win situation and I think Ned was trying to explain that to Arya (and to the audience watching the show). Being a fan of Sansa (despite her bratty behavior of season 1 and the first book) I appreciated the scene.

While I agree that Sansa was in a no-win situation, and Ned was right to forgive her, I take issue with a lie that directly results in the death of an innocent being characterized as a "white lie".

While I agree that Sansa was in a no-win situation, and Ned was right to forgive her, I take issue with a lie that directly results in the death of an innocent being characterized as a "white lie".

Her lie didn't directly result in anything. Robert's conclusion based on Sansa's testimony was "kids fight. It's over." Not Robert's or Sansa's fault that the Hound was already out there killing the butcher's boy while the trail was being conducted.

• 7 months later...

I re-watched this ep last night and caught something I hadn't noticed the first time: When Ned is watching Arya and Syrio, he starts to hear the clash of iron and steel. This really adds to the intensity of the scene, especially when you watch Ned's expression change. Nice work to the team for that extra little audio touch.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

best line:

(Arya and Sansa)

What are you doing?

I'm practicing.

For what?

The Prince!

parts that I dislike and I always skip:

when Jon beats the crap out of the other recruits

the mother-son dialogue between Cersei and Joffrey

favourite parts:

Ned confronting Jaime in the throne room

old nan's tale

Arya starting her water-dance training

Tyrion and Mormont; Tyrion and Jon

funniest parts:

LF: something you don't know that I do...

Ned: war is easier than daughters!

Ned to LF about his brother

• 9 months later...

Archived