[Book Spoilers] Episode 4 Preview

I personally think it will fail because of Martin's inability of creating sympathic, realistic characters - his hilarious gray villains won't keep a sufficient part of audience glued to the screen opposed to the book.

I personally'd say the whole thing would work just as well without a single wolf anywhere but on coat of arms.

I agree that Martin focuses heavily on the darker, bleaker side of human relationships. Even his moments of love or joy seem restrained. For me, this does not take away from the enjoyment of the story, but I could see it becoming a problem when trying to keep an expensive show on the air.

Some might see the enormous size of the ASOIAF universe as a hindrance to the show, but it should be its strength. There is ample opportunity for the writers to introduce new characters and events in every single episode. Character development can take a back seat for a while imo. Purists will moan but they are not in the majority. Those that are want an obvious and immediate reason not to change the channel, and to come back next week. And then buy the DVDs.

I'm predicting an end after three seasons unless they can get Joss Whedon or Chris Carter on board. Preferably both.

In the preview you hear someone (I'm assuming Sansa) saying "I promise I won't tell anyone" or something to that effect. This sounds suspiciously like what Sansa would say after the Hound threatens to kill her if she told anyone. :)

I just watched the character feature for Littlefinger and there is a scene in there where Sansa clearly tells this to Littlefinger, at the tourney.

I just watched the character feature for Littlefinger and there is a scene in there where Sansa clearly tells this to Littlefinger, at the tourney.

Good detective work! For anyone else interested, here's the video:

. Check out the dialog at 1:07. This does strengthen the possibility that they've moved some of the Sansa-Sandor dialog to Sansa-Petyr. Ack!!!!! Say it ain't so... :bang: Guess we'll have to wait until Sunday to find out for sure.

I'm really not sure why people are so obsessed about any Sansa/Sandor interaction. It's not something that has a significant plot effect - but then again fans sometimes obsess of minor details.

I'm really not sure why people are so obsessed about any Sansa/Sandor interaction. It's not something that has a significant plot effect - but then again fans sometimes obsess of minor details.

It's the foundation for what makes the Hound such a great character. He may not be pivotal to an overarching plot or whatever, but he's an amazing character, and not minor at all, considering all the stuff he and Arya go through in Storm of Swords. Taking that scene out is like neutering the character.

It's also one of the first moments of compassion we see from Sansa. It lets the audience know she's not a completely selfish brat, and I think it's especially important considering we don't get to hear Sansa's inner thoughts (such as when she feels sad after Ser Hugh dies during the joust).

Osha comes in around either Episode 5 or 6, I'd guess. Gendry should show up around then as well.

Gendry might be seen in this episode. According to a description of Ep. 4 "Ned looks to a book for clues to the death of his predecessor, and uncovers one of King Robert’s (Mark Addy) bastards." Is that Gendry or someone else? Does Ned find another one first? I don't remember that but it might be in the book.

How about that sneak peak??

New conversation twixt Tyrion and Theon (or have I somehow forgotten ti from the books???).

D&D are definitely looking ahead -- setting up some motivation for Theon's eventual betrayal (and explainng who the hell he is in the bargain).

And how about the the foreshadowing wildfire on the Blackwater: "Nothing prettier than watching sailors burn alive."

Brilliant!

About Sansador+: the best time in the show to provide the audience with the Sandor/Gregor backstory is right there when they are fighting (or immediately prior). So if it is Littlefinger who divulges the info, that would be why. This does not mean that Sansador cannot have an intense conversation or two vis a vis her staring at his scars and such.

+it's either that, or "Sanda"... I just googled to be sure: You read it here first!

Do Sansador have any future in ASoIaF? Dancing Dragons may tell...

About Sansador+: the best time in the show to provide the audience with the Sandor/Gregor backstory is right there when they are fighting (or immediately prior). So if it is Littlefinger who divulges the info, that would be why. This does not mean that Sansador cannot have an intense conversation or two vis a vis her staring at his scars and such.

Actually this makes a lot of sense, and ALMOST makes me like the idea. And the "I won't tell anyone"-line was clearly not pasted over, so i suppose this is how they have chosen to do it.

At least i can understand and partly appreciate this change. I very, very strongly assume they will give us some more SanSan stuff, if not this particular (favorite) one.

I agree that Martin focuses heavily on the darker, bleaker side of human relationships. Even his moments of love or joy seem restrained. For me, this does not take away from the enjoyment of the story, but I could see it becoming a problem when trying to keep an expensive show on the air.

Some might see the enormous size of the ASOIAF universe as a hindrance to the show, but it should be its strength. There is ample opportunity for the writers to introduce new characters and events in every single episode. Character development can take a back seat for a while imo. Purists will moan but they are not in the majority. Those that are want an obvious and immediate reason not to change the channel, and to come back next week. And then buy the DVDs.

I'm predicting an end after three seasons unless they can get Joss Whedon or Chris Carter on board. Preferably both.

f'ing rotflmao

probably bc the Hound is a huge fan favorite and one of the more interesting characters in the entire series

I like how a lot of informative exchanges take place in the throne room. It's a good reminder for the viewer that, after all, it's all about the Iron Throne. :)

Yeah, good point. But are we ever going to see anyone actually sit on this throne? The room is always empty!

Gendry might be seen in this episode. According to a description of Ep. 4 "Ned looks to a book for clues to the death of his predecessor, and uncovers one of King Robert’s (Mark Addy) bastards." Is that Gendry or someone else? Does Ned find another one first? I don't remember that but it might be in the book.

I could be wrong but I believe the first bastard Ned finds is a whore's infant child. Gendry should come after that.

For the Sansa/Sandor thing, I'm not overly attached to it so hopefully I can be impartial. But if the balked at having a 13 year old Dany getting married off to the big barbarian Khal Drogo for the TV audience and aged her up, perhaps they were also nervous at doing what's almost or at least could be mistaken as a romantic relationship between the big Hound and a Sansa that is actually supposed to be & looks 13? I mean there's a point in ACoK that it seems like he's almost about to rape her. While it's not all that different having Littlefinger be into her instead, you at least have the established relationship of a unrequited love with Catelyn plus he would be easier to pass off as a creepy weirdo when it comes to underage girls.

I'm not necessarily agreeing with or trying to justify the potential changes, just looking for a reason they may have made them for the HBO series.

Does anyone think that Ep 4 will begin with a flashback? Arya's sparring with Syrio had Ned watching, hearing the clash of steel, and having a constipated look on his face.

I think we're getting Osha in this episode. Tyrion is giving his saddle-thingy to Bran, so it would be a good time to have some action up north.

Yeah, good point. But are we ever going to see anyone actually sit on this throne? The room is always empty!

Yeah, we'll definitely have scenes of that later on. Hopefully they won't overuse that "technique" of having important dialogues happening in the empty room :P

Archived