The Doors of Stone

Board_Drifter

I certainly anticipate Kvothe having sex...with Denna. There has to be some sort of resolution to their relationship, dare I say it, some kind of consummation.

I think Kvothe and Denna are related! I really expected at least a kiss between them after Kvothe got his Felurian on, and when it didn't happen, I thought Luke and Leia. Is it only me thinking this?

If not then who's been talking all this time?
I meant, rather obviously, at the end of telling his story.

Sorry, couldn't resist. But I thought there was supposed to be a second trilogy that took the story over once Kvothe finished telling his past. Presumably he has to live for this, although I guess that isn't certain.

Sorry, couldn't resist. But I thought there was supposed to be a second trilogy that took the story over once Kvothe finished telling his past. Presumably he has to live for this, although I guess that isn't certain.

Edric Dayne, I've looked everywhere but I can't find a documented instance of Rothfuss saying there will be a second trilogy definitely. If there is a second trilogy, I would imagine Kvothe lives.

Edric Dayne, I've looked everywhere but I can't find a documented instance of Rothfuss saying there will be a second trilogy definitely. If there is a second trilogy, I would imagine Kvothe lives.

I sent an e-mail to Rothfuss the other day regarding this.

Hello Patrick Rohtfuss,

I wanted to know if you have any plans developing a second Kvothe-related trilogy after "The Doors of Stone" (similar to what Robin Hobb did with "The Tawny Man Trilogy"). This is eating me up. Pat from Pat's Fantasy Hotlist said that was your plan back in 2007. I perceive it as speculation for a lot of fantasy writer's cop-out by rehashing the same series of characters over the coarse of a career. As you know, many publishers like to bloat epic fantasy series as much as possible as a means of reliable profit. Based on your interviews and the brief chat I had with you, I think you are more diverse a writer then one who resides in a self-created world for a mass amount of time dwelling on beloved characters. After the story catches up to the present, I personally envision a 50-70-page conclusion. "The Name of the Wind" took about that many pages before Kvothe starting telling his story. I think Kvothe will probably die. I am all for a tragic final installment of a trilogy that would stay with me in years to come. Kote in a second trilogy saving the world from the dark forces that lurk beyond the Waystone Inn (cringe). I would much rather see your urban fantasy novel in a college setting that you've mentioned several times. I've ranted. I apologize. All in all, I trust you as a storyteller, fantasist, and human being. I just hope I am in good hands as a fan. Take you time with book three and say hello to Oot for me.

all the best,

I can't tell whether Board_Drifter is joking or not. If they aren't joking, I wouldn't hold my breath for a reply to that email as it comes off as "Finish the book the way I want it or you're a hack". Maybe I'm not as sensitive as Pat though :)

Personally I find the possibility of a sequel series covering what happens in the future really interesting. There'd be a lot more tension for one as we wont know what happens.

I can't tell whether Board_Drifter is joking or not. If they aren't joking, I wouldn't hold my breath for a reply to that email as it comes off as "Finish the book the way I want it or you're a hack". Maybe I'm not as sensitive as Pat though :)

Personally I find the possibility of a sequel series covering what happens in the future really interesting. There'd be a lot more tension for one as we wont know what happens.

I was joking red snow. I would be no real fan if I directly told Rothfuss how to finish his book. I still really want the third book to conclude the story of Kvtohe for I am excited to see Rothfuss move on to other stories. I never expected a reply to that e-mail; just wanted to express my outlook directly to the writer. There is no such thing as a proper way to end a story. I would most likely enjoy reading a sequel trilogy involving Kvothe yet many others and myself would probably loose interest after a while. This happens in the fantasy genre all the time. If Rothfuss returned to Kvothe in many years as a more experienced writer, I would not be that concerned.

It depends whether the kingkiller chronicles will span everything or just the flashbacks. I guess he has to survive if it's just the flashbacks - although that requires some impressive twists.

It'll probably be a bit like the old film trope (usually featuring Stallone) where Denna died because of something he did/failed to do and he insists on never using his mojo again - only to be forced into a scenario where he becomes a mofo again.

Part of me hopes he dies before he gets really old though. The elderly tend to make long winded tales about what they see going on in their neighbours garden and can be really repetitive. Imagine how unvearable kvothe would be if he was narrating as a 90 year old.

Even if we end of getting more Kvothe books at some point, I think Rothfuss is a smart enough author to move away from the 'this is my story' format. It works really really well in this situation because we get the idea that Kvothe isn't just being reminiscent, but something major is about to happen in the present day story line. The we start in the middle, move to the beginning, so we can then arrive at the beginning of the end plot structure is, if you really think about it, a pretty crazy approach to writing. But Rothfuss has made it work. Trying to duplicate that structure in a different trilogy really wouldn't work. I think we'll be done with the Kvothe telling his story premise after DoS.

All that said, Kote is describe in each book as having a silence of his own. The silence of a man waiting to die. Now. I think that there are two possible interpretations of this. Either Kvothe will die at the end of DoS, or Kote(the innkeeper persona) will die and Kvothe will set out to the mistakes he made in the third novel. Most epic fantasy really like the 'young hero sets out to save the world and avenge his dead parents' troupe, and, I think, that Kingkiller is a subversion of this. Whether Kvothe utterly fails in his quest(and dies at the end of DoS), or seriously fucks up and has to, not defeat ultimate evil, but fix the problems he cause, remains to be seen.

I was joking red snow. I would be no real fan if I directly told Rothfuss how to finish his book. I still really want the third book to conclude the story of Kvtohe for I am excited to see Rothfuss move on to other stories. I never expected a reply to that e-mail; just wanted to express my outlook directly to the writer. There is no such thing as a proper way to end a story. I would most likely enjoy reading a sequel trilogy involving Kvothe yet many others and myself would probably loose interest after a while. This happens in the fantasy genre all the time. If Rothfuss returned to Kvothe in many years as a more experienced writer, I would not be that concerned.

That's a relief. I'm sure Pat recieves far, far worse emails in his inbox screaming with rage about Denna and "why is he still at the shcool", and "Dragon, WFT" etc.

Dune: I think we're on the same wavelength. I'm sure Kote waiting to die is metaphorical for Kvothe's rebirth.

I was under the impression Doors of Stone was just a working title. Either way, I certainly anticipate Kvothe having sex...with Denna. There has to be some sort of resolution to their relationship, dare I say it, some kind of consummation.

Kvothe mentions that there was only one other woman who equaled Felurian. I

edit: potentially spoilered another series oops...

I can't swear to this, but I think the only instance in which I've heard the hypothetical second trilogy talked about was Rothfuss's editor, back round the time TNotW came out. I don't believe I've ever heard it mentioned again, and never by Rothfuss himself even once. He has, however, definitely said that this story of Kvothe is three books. Though I think I've read in interviews that he does plan to use the Four Corners for other stories, so perhaps those might expand on events following the present day scenes in Kingkiller.

My personal boring interpretation of "a man who is waiting to die" is that it refers to Kvothe's despair, his determination to sink into an uneventful life and do no more harm/great deeds/whatever. He's not living for anything, or at least doesn't think he is.

I can't swear to this, but I think the only instance in which I've heard the hypothetical second trilogy talked about was Rothfuss's editor, back round the time TNotW came out. I don't believe I've ever heard it mentioned again, and never by Rothfuss himself even once. He has, however, definitely said that this story of Kvothe is three books. Though I think I've read in interviews that he does plan to use the Four Corners for other stories, so perhaps those might expand on events following the present day scenes in Kingkiller.

My personal boring interpretation of "a man who is waiting to die" is that it refers to Kvothe's despair, his determination to sink into an uneventful life and do no more harm/great deeds/whatever. He's not living for anything, or at least doesn't think he is.

Death is also the fourth door from which we can escape memories (per Kvothe)... so maybe he is overwhelmed with regret about killing a trans-sexual king denna (this is not a real theory) that the only way he believes he can get over it is death.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

First time poster. What's Bast's agenda then?

Obviously he hired the two 'soldiers' to attack Kvothe but what were his intention?

1) Them attack Kvothe to bring out his true self, with the knowledge that the soldiers would be killed.

2) As above but it failed so he went to kill them anyway to make sure they wouldn't talk.

....Or does he have more sinister motives?

There is some major funny stuff in this thread, and you know who you are.

I have really enjoyed both books (having read NOTW three times now and AWMF twice in the last year-I came late to the ball, again).

I hope that he finishes the book relatively soon, mainly because I am older and seflishly want him to finish before I'm finished.

Kylar-you might consider posting the question in the AWMF spoiler thread if you haven't already done so.

My preference is a variation of Option 1 with Kvothe easily winning the fight but not killing them. He never did try lethal force against them.

Isn't that piece of info just about everywhere on the internet???? :stunned:

Yes, the plan has always been that the first trilogy will be about Kvothe's backstory, while the second series will focus on the "real time" events alluded to in both TNotW and TWMF. And that's from Rothfuss, his editor Betsy Wollheim, our mutual agent Matt Bialer, and whoever has been in the loop from the start.

As far as the last volume being split, Betsy told me that won't happen. She says that Rothfuss is a meticulous planner and Kvothe's backstory will require a single book to be brought to a close.

Patrick

Isn't that piece of info just about everywhere on the internet???? :stunned:

Yes, the plan has always been that the first trilogy will be about Kvothe's backstory, while the second series will focus on the "real time" events alluded to in both TNotW and TWMF. And that's from Rothfuss, his editor Betsy Wollheim, our mutual agent Matt Bialer, and whoever has been in the loop from the start.

As far as the last volume being split, Betsy told me that won't happen. She says that Rothfuss is a meticulous planner and Kvothe's backstory will require a single book to be brought to a close.

Patrick

Pat it's great to have your confirmation. If this info is everywhere on the internet, I haven't seen it. It was alluded to in various threads that Rothfuss had said something to this effect in an interview with you back when TNOTW came out, but I never found the interview online.

I think Rothfuss has expressly declined to answer the question in the present time on the basis that it is basically a major spoiler for the ending of the third book. It's good to know and actually really heartening that the third book won't have the exact same ending as the first two books.

The interview Rob and I did with Rothfuss when TNotW came out can be found here.

I don't think it was in that Q&A, but I remember the info regarding that second trilogy to be well-known at that time. It was probably in another interview, or one of Pat's blog posts...

Patrick

Archived