[BOOK SPOILERS] EP103 Discussion II

Kat

Cat's travel: A "we will travel by boat and arrive as quickly as Lord Eddard" line would have made me feel better. I feel like the show hasn't given much sense of how big Westeros is -- it seems like it takes only a couple days to get from Winterfell to King's Landing.

They actually say outright that it took the king a month to reach Winterfell from King's Landing, plus that how much time is passed is often told in one of the locations which indicates the same for the others.

With the kinda reception Syrio got, anyone else feeling we are gonna have a riot on our hands here when he is killed like that?

If they do it in the show as they do it in the book and leave his death ambiguous, I don't think it'll be too bad.

With the kinda reception Syrio got, anyone else feeling we are gonna have a riot on our hands here when he is killed like that?

Killed like what? Has GRRM confirmed his death? He seemed to be holding his own against the KG well enough, with a wooden practice sword, when last we saw him alive. You don't get to be first sword without being able to get yourself out of tricky situations.

I cannot believe no one in this thread has wondered yet why Ghost wasn't in this episode.

:lol:

I don't know what's funnier - your quip or the fact that so many people actually took you seriously. :P

I was reading the Television without Pity GoT thread for the unspoilered people. (I'm kind of addicted to it)

Yeah, me too. It is awesome to see other people working through the storyline, much like I did when I first read the books.

However, these people seem much smarter than me. I never suspected Joffrey, and the whole R+L=J theory never occurred to me (mostly because I didn't really dwell on it) until my friend told me about it.

I have no idea how they already have these theories and they have less information than I did when I first thought of them. They are pretty damn smart over there.

And I love how they refer to those of us who have read the books as "Bookwalkers" and they are members of the "Spitball Wall Watch".

Yeah, me too. It is awesome to see other people working through the storyline, much like I did when I first read the books.

However, these people seem much smarter than me. I never suspected Joffrey, and the whole R+L=J theory never occurred to me (mostly because I didn't really dwell on it) until my friend told me about it.

I have no idea how they already have these theories and they have less information than I did when I first thought of them. They are pretty damn smart over there.

And I love how they refer to those of us who have read the books as "Bookwalkers" and they are members of the "Spitball Wall Watch".

There can be a few reasons why you didn't catch those things as quickly than they did that don't mean that you're dumber. The first is that when you are reading a book you are generally plodding on at a fairly steady pace and don't usually discuss things a lot as you go as you're more focused on actually seeing what happens next. When you watch a show you see a tenth of the story and then have a week to think on just that and talk with people that have come exactly as far as you have because you don't have the choice to move on to the rest until it's aired.

A book also gives out much more information than a TV show and since they've given all the necessary information to draw the R+L=J conclusion some will naturally guess that because there's not as much other information to drown that out. And for all they know, they haven't even been told everything they need to know about it so they are still just guessing.

Then it's also possible that some people actually have read the books, or spoilers, and are trying to shine while pretending they haven't.

Then it's also possible that some people actually have read the books, or spoilers, and are trying to shine while pretending they haven't.

That would sadden me, though I'm sure there are people who would do that. I'm just having so much fun reading their (allegedly) uninfluenced reactions.

Your point about them being able to discuss as the story unfolds is a good one. I didn't really talk about the books with anyone until I was done with all of them, so who knows how much I would have figured out if I had dissected each chapter for a week before moving on.

I still feel stupid about R+L=J, though. I know it is far from being a sure thing, but I never even doubted that Ned was Jon's father until someone told me. I know that doesn't mean I am dumb, but I do think that it was dumb of me to completely miss out that there was some question of Jon's parentage (if that makes any sense).

Another excellent episode! Maybe not as good as the Kingsroad, but there's a lot of great stuff in here. Loved every scene with Tyrion (I can't believe I was worried about Dinklage and the accent he uses when I saw the trailers), Littlefinger and Varys were perfect and I really enjoyed some of the added scenes, especially the Robert/Selmy/Jaime one. I'll also echo everyone's praise for the Syrio scene at the end.

A few very minor/petty criticisms:

-The way Littlefinger pronounced Catelyn's name annoyed the hell out of me

-I'm not a fan of the actor playing Master Aemon so far. Obviously there's lots of time left for him to convince me, but damn if he didn't completely overact in that scene, with his jaw shaking as if his life depended on it. There have been a few times in the series where I've thought the acting hasn't been stellar (the delivery of some of Catelyn's lines, for example), but this is the first time I've had a problem with an actor. Which is pretty damn amazing, considering how large the cast of this show is.

Slightly more major complaints:

-The Dany plotline has been the weakest part of the show, and I'm not particularly convinced by the show's depiction of her and Drogo's relationship at this point. It'd be nice to have some full dialogue scenes with Drogo and Dany so that them cuddling wouldn't come completely out of nowhere.

-Wasn't a big fan of the editing in this episode- I'd much prefer if they stuck at one location for longer periods of time (as in the first 15 minutes) rather than constantly jump around every scene- it messes with the show's pacing.

Otherwise, excellent episode. This show is really coming together and exceeding all my expectations. I can't wait for the Bran/Tyrion/Robb scene next week.

ChrisPwildcat: Hey, no worries. I never doubted that Ned and Willa were Jon's parents at all when I read the first three books. I remember coming here, seeing the R+L=J theories for the first time and thinking it was an incredibly dumb idea. Little did I know...

I was a late reader to the books. And, I am just finishing with Book 2. However, I find the Jon on the Wall arc so far not too interesting. As for Tierion giving advice to Jon, I found that somewhat a bit far-fetched for someone of Tierion's station and background. In fact in the books he seems to come off as very smart but devious and as most Lannister's self-serving. Someone answered my comment/question regarding whether he was bad, good, evil, smart etc and the answer seemed to be all three. I now see that that is true.

Tyrion giving advice to Jon is right out of the book. Not the advice about Pyp and Grenn, but about his birth, his place in the world and his choice to join the night's watch. When they part ways in the book, they have become friends.

Several people are not liking the Dany storyline.

I will tell my fiancée, who has not read the books, nor any other fantasy books this side of Hogwarts loves her now. Dany's evolution has quickly become her favorite parts of the series. It is VERY important that series appeals to non-SoIF fans. Otherwise, it will not be completed. HBO does not have a good history with their big, "period" peices. Deadwood (being the greatest show ever made for television) made three seasons. The other two, Rome and Carnival made it two.

Killed like what? Has GRRM confirmed his death? He seemed to be holding his own against the KG well enough, with a wooden practice sword, when last we saw him alive. You don't get to be first sword without being able to get yourself out of tricky situations.

Right at the end, his sword breaks. That's when Arya runs away.

I was a late reader to the books. And, I am just finishing with Book 2. However, I find the Jon on the Wall arc so far not too interesting. As for Tierion giving advice to Jon, I found that somewhat a bit far-fetched for someone of Tierion's station and background. In fact in the books he seems to come off as very smart but devious and as most Lannister's self-serving. Someone answered my comment/question regarding whether he was bad, good, evil, smart etc and the answer seemed to be all three. I now see that that is true.

You seriously need to stay out of the book spoiler threads or you're going to have the series ruined for you. You've been warned (twice now I think).

If they do it in the show as they do it in the book and leave his death ambiguous, I don't think it'll be too bad.

I love Syrio as much as the next guy-no homo lol- but I just cant see how he could do anything else than die honorably fighting to save someone else's life. The last image we have of him is when his wooden sword breaks.

You seriously need to stay out of the book spoiler threads or you're going to have the series ruined for you. You've been warned (twice now I think).

Is that from the other thread? I cant find that post here, anyway VGZ if you are still viewing book spoiler threads get off or the others gonna get ya!

I love Syrio as much as the next guy-no homo lol- but I just cant see how he could do anything else than die honorably fighting to save someone else's life. The last image we have of him is when his wooden sword breaks.

He could give up or flee when Arya is safe (at least from the kingsguard knight). If the speculations are true he would be caught but not killed.

He could give up or flee when Arya is safe (at least from the kingsguard knight). If the speculations are true he would be caught but not killed.

Dont wanna sound boneheaded about this, but what purpose does keeping Syrio alive serve? I would be disappointed if GRRM denied Syrio an honorable death, which is unlikely considering Martin's style.

Dont wanna sound boneheaded about this, but what purpose does keeping Syrio alive serve? I would be disappointed if GRRM denied Syrio an honorable death, which is unlikely considering Martin's style.

Well GRRM has a knack for preserving certain characters and leaving some mysteries (eg. Sandor Clegane) in case he thinks of a perfect place for them to show up again, he still has the option. But I do think he'll keep Syrio's honorable death intact.

Archived