The Hunger Games Trilogy

Werthead

I think I wanted more, POVs from other characters to flesh out the story as a whole, mainly because by the end of Mockinjay, I could only take so much self flaggelation from Katniss. I get it. I don't mind the first person narrative and it works for a lot of what's going on, but for me its became too much by the end. Would a shift in POV, maintaining a first person narrative, to Haymitch or Gale or Cinna been so bad? Especially if we got to live the rebellion through their eyes and perhaps understand a little bit more of what Katniss actually meant to them? Both as the symbol and as the girl?

Because it would have broken the focus of the series on Katniss. A shift in POV is a shift in the fundamental structure of the book. It's not about what Katniss means to them, it's about what being that symbol means and does to Katniss. The story is told through Katniss' eyes because we are only supposed to get her perspective on events and on what they mean to her.

You could certainly tell the same events from multiple POVs, but it would be a different story.

I found the end of third book really bad. I kept reading it and suddenly I couldn't tell If she was describing a dream of if that was actually happening.

So I grew angry, then frustrated and finally just a bit disappointed.

I don't understand what you are referring to here. None of it is a dream and it's quite clear it's all actually happening.

The book is more gory than the films and I kept myself thinking in several occasions: how will they film this ??

By avoiding the gore all together to get that sweet, sweet PG13 rating, thus turning the movies into a not-getting-it version of the books. The first apes the events that take place and misses the point to a big extent. I expect it to get worse as the movie series goes on, but I could be wrong.

Because it would have broken the focus of the series on Katniss. A shift in POV is a shift in the fundamental structure of the book. It's not about what Katniss means to them, it's about what being that symbol means and does to Katniss. The story is told through Katniss' eyes because we are only supposed to get her perspective on events and on what they mean to her.

You could certainly tell the same events from multiple POVs, but it would be a different story.

I don't think I completely agree that giving other POVs would have taken away the impact of Katniss' story, particularly if the first person narrative was utilized for each one...but that's neither here nor there.

I guess ultimately, I just wanted the "different story"...

• 1 year later...
actually this is a complete rip-off of asoiaf.Its obvious from the names that this 'future world' is actually a futuristic westeros where Ramsay Snow had defeated stannis and his descendants rule the world..

Obviously. After all it's just another story about guy named Snow and his complicated relationship with archer girl kissed by fire, who cannot make a decision about shooting him.

In some way I believe third moved me more than first. First was the most perfect, well planned, but it left me not really caring. Cool story, bro.
Third one managed to rip some of my guts off, but it have massive lost potential.

I really liked Mockingjay till the moment of Peeta's return, I really loved three last chapters and epilogue after Prim's death. But all things between was just so unbelievably stupid. Collins become prisoner of her own scheme and she gave us another Hunger Games because... why not.

Ale this great PSTD, traumas and goverment manipulation and suddenly we got totally unecessary assasin raid through Capitol, totally stupid Capitol defence system, totally stupid Coin and Snow. Sorry, Winnetou but that was just lame. It really would prefer get nine chapters of more psychological trauma than some LSD vision of war.

I would prefer to read about Katniss, Peeta and Gale camping on countryside trying to work out Snow's horcruxes, really.

Still few last chapters are the best of this saga. Nine earlier chapters are greatest shit in this saga. Well, nobody's perfect,

Also: I suppose trying to adopt earlier books 27 chapters divided in three parts order also limited Collins. Not a real excuse but still.

I liked them well enough, personally think they have done one of the best movie adaptations ever. Slightly different due to a different medium, but that happens. Actually enjoyed the 2nd movie more than the 2nd book. Third book was pretty... meh. Hated the ending, but overall a decent story.

Archived