Is Rhaegar alive?!?

Xcorpyo001

• 9 months later...

i love Rahaegar , and while part of me wants him to be alive , it think it's best if he stayed dead .

I mean , consider this , would Rahaegar still be a likable character if he was alive all this time and let his siblings viserys and dani be passed around from place to place with no real protector ? with viserys being " the beggar king" and dani being traded to the dothraki in exchange for an army ?lets also not forget his own possible children * wont say more* , who he should have been there for .

lets just say if he was secretly alive , he wont seem as great a person as he does dead .

Oh please...he's chillin at the Quiet Isle with Ned Stark, Syrio Forel and Balerion the Black Dread...

That's a nice thought. Lady and Grey Wind sit by the hearth, next to Robb and Maester Aemon in his rocking chair :cool4:

I'm trying to remember, but I believe the healing of wounds was CPR

Aging will alter features - longer nose, bags under the eyes, but not change the structure of what someone looks like

The question that always comes to mind with the various "XX is alive" theories is....why? Why have Rhaegar alive? What does it do for the story as written?

Absolutely nothing.

Rhaegar is dead.. As has already been said it would cheapen the story if he did a comeback later on, something we have seen enough of imo. The same can be said for Ned, Syrio and the other dead characters..

Nice theory but I would bet its a bit too far fetched to be right

He also told Brienne that he was the third son of a knight and was quite poor, not being able to offer a woman more than his shield, sword and horse.

Like most chance characters he will be of note later in the books, so how about Jonothor Darry of the kingsguard

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm sorry, but I disagree with most of you. It wouldn't be stupid or unbelievable if he was still alive. You should realize by now that in this series, people are always constantly thought dead when they're really not. (Bran, Rickon, and Arya are the best examples.) And it's usually for the best, because those who are thought dead, are usually able to achieve greater things with out having to worry about people looking for them to kill them. I've actually posted my own theory Rhaegar myself that I'll reiterate here:

Now I've heard quite a few people say that they believe that Jaqen was Syrio Forel. And though I think that that might be a possibility, I don't believe that that's who he truly is. I believe that Jaqen is really Rhaegar Targaryen, still very much alive.

A couple of posts above, a poster named Quiet Wolf almost nailed it on the head. Rhaegar became obsessed with what he read in those Valyrian scrolls as a child. That's part of the reason why Jaqen/ the Alchemist wanted that master key to the Citadel (as Pate surmised before he gave it to the Alchemist). But before anyone will begin to entertain this notion, they're first going to say: "But Robert Baratheon slew Rhaegar at the Trident!!!".

My first thought was that maybe Robert hit him in the chest with that warhammer of his, but didn't kill him. I quickly dropped this idea because Robert was quite efficient at killing, and there's no chance that he would've missed the mark with someone he hated as much as Rhaegar. So that lead me to believe that I don't think that it was Rhaegar that Robert killed that day. I think that it was someone else wearing Rhagar's armor. This is not that crazy to believe, because the act of one person wearing another person's armor has happened more than once in this series (Garlan Tyrell wearing Renly's armor in the battle of Blackwater and Rorge wearing the Hound's helm while sacking Saltpans are two great examples.) I'm guessing that it was Jonothor Darry, a member of the kingsguard, that switched armor with Rhaegar prior to the battle. Not only was Darry with Rhaegar (as Jaime later remembers) but if you look up the five members of Aerys' kingsguard who died (Gerold Hightower, Arthur Dayne, Lewyn Martell, Oswell Whent, and Jonothor Darry), Darry is the only one whose death isn't really explained. Especially regarding who killed him. Also, if it was in fact Rhaegar who was killed, what happened to his body? That's never explained either.

In ACOK, when Jaqen changed his face and parted ways with Arya, I really didn't think that much about him. It wasn't until I realized that he was that Alchemist at the beginning of AFFC who kills Pate and steals his identity, that I really started to think that there was something more to this guy and than just being some assassin. If that were true, he would've killed whoever he was supposed to kill at the Citadel and been done with it. I can imagine that he was also Syrio Forel, killed those Lannister guards who came after him, switched his face and got himself thrown in the black cells. I mean he's clearly not the kind of guy who would end up in those cells unless he wanted to end up there. But he's clearly not just your average Faceless man. As a matter of fact, from the time we first meet Jaqen in that cage with Rorge and Biter to "Pate" being with Sam now, the only person that this Faceless man has killed for his own purposes has been Pate.

When Jaqen kills those people for Arya, he did it to repay the deaths owned to R'hllor or the Red God. And the prophecy of the prince who was promised is tied into that religion. That's what Rhaegar most likely read about in those Valyrian scrolls as a child, and why he thought for a while that he was this prince who was promised. That's also why Rhaegar/Jaqen/the Alchemist/Pate is at the Citadel. To learn more about the prophecy, the glass candles, all of it. I would like to hear some other thoughts on the matter.

Archived