Would Daenerys find John Snow attractive?

CornCornSnow

I find the topic of this thread amusing because I've always assumed Jon would be the more unwilling partner. Prophecy has already suggested that Daenerys will love Jon, even that she'll marry him, but there has been no similar indication that Jon will return her feelings. For all we know, Daenerys might blackmail Jon into marrying her -- although I think that scenario unlikely.

By the way, I do think the parallel construction of their relationships is rather interesting, assuming that Jon sleeps with Melisandre, Daenerys sleeps with either Euron or Victarion, and Jon and Daenerys love each other.

In both cases, their first partners will have been a person they were forced to sleep with (i.e., Drogo, Ygritte).

In both cases, their second partners will have been a person they dreaded (i.e., Euron/Victarion, Melisandre).

And, in the end, their third partners will be the one they love.

A Jon-Melisandre connection would serve as an efficent plot device, though. If one wanted to get Jon away from the wall, he would have to be kidnapped or kicked out of the Watch. How could the latter come about? What better/more damning way than his knocking up a certain mysterious redhead?

That corpse on the ship....aren't the Ironborn, having been "drowned", metaphoric corpses to begin with?

Dany's taste in men is quite clear in the book. Dangerous alphas

Sadly true. Euron is such a vile and repulsive character that it makes me retch to think our heroine might fancy him, but he does fit the dangerous alpha type.

Where are the Jon/Melisandre theories coming from? I agree with whoever said that she would disgust him. Jon likes naturalness and honesty. Melisandre seems as far from his type as it's possible to get, plus it would sully his memory of Ygritte. I think his plan is to remain forever celibate, always keeping a shrine to her in his heart.

I think Dany will fall for Euron hard. He has power and is ruthless and cruel and Jon is too compassionate and caring plus I think she'll dislike someone of Ned who betrayed her father. As she said many times about Ned when he's mentioned he is nothing but another one of the Usurper dogs. So I think she'll view Jon much the same way and probably wont trust him.

Mmmm, yummy speculation! :)

I understand what other posters are saying about the nuances of attraction, but Dany still seems too worldly for Jon. Now, I could definitely see the above happening—a one-two punch of huge personal growth on the part of Jon, followed by Dany having some bad experience in love before (or during) her trip to Westeros.

It would be more believable if the "5 year gap" was still in play, to give both characters time to grow. As it stands, I just imagine Dany showing up, looking at Jon and the men he leads, and being like... "LOL!"

Eh, I don't think Dany's all that worldly. She spent most of her life running from assassins that her brother, the Beggar King, told her were on their heels. She came to love a man who was the farthest thing from "worldly" who lived a nomadic life of plundering and pillaging, what some called "savage". She loved him because he was strong and brave and gave her things more precious than a crown and a throne. When Drogo died Dany relied on "worldly" men who turned out to be sycophants, traitors and schemers. And yeah, some of this is her own fault for wanting to believe the lies and not wanting to hear the harsh truth, but so far she's learned lessons from her errors in judgment. Being worldly isn't that important when worldly men are always lying, cheating and trying to steal your dragons. She might marry a worldly man because it's expected and that husband may be a means to an end but I can see her falling in love with a man who isn't trying to get something from her or use her for some purpose.

I think Dany and Jon have been though some similar experiences. Both have lived in places where they didn't fully belong, both displaced from what they knew as their homes and both had to learn to lead under less than optimal circumstances. Putting aside that they are both attractive people and close in age, I think by the time Dany and Jon meet both of them will have experienced loss and suffering and will have survived by learning to adapt in situations where they are surrounded by enemies and liars. There's a lot to be said for falling in love with someone just because they understand you and are kindred spirits.

I think Dany will fall for Euron hard. He has power and is ruthless and cruel and Jon is too compassionate and caring plus I think she'll dislike someone of Ned who betrayed her father. As she said many times about Ned when he's mentioned he is nothing but another one of the Usurper dogs. So I think she'll view Jon much the same way and probably wont trust him.

Well, doesn't this depend on Dany learning R+L=J? If so, she will think of Jon as Rhaegar's (whom she adores), not Ned's.

Melisandre/Jon connection would be an interesting continuation of his interest in red heads/kissed by fire. I always imagined that Jon would not be interested Dany but I don't know.

Step mom fantasy much?

Well, doesn't this depend on Dany learning R+L=J? If so, she will think of Jon as Rhaegar's (whom she adores), not Ned's.

Step mom fantasy much?

Haha yeah, but Jon and UnCat getting it on is pretty creepy.

Mmmm, yummy speculation! :)

Eh, I don't think Dany's all that worldly. She spent most of her life running from assassins that her brother, the Beggar King, told her were on their heels. She came to love a man who was the farthest thing from "worldly" who lived a nomadic life of plundering and pillaging, what some called "savage". She loved him because he was strong and brave and gave her things more precious than a crown and a throne. When Drogo died Dany relied on "worldly" men who turned out to be sycophants, traitors and schemers. And yeah, some of this is her own fault for wanting to believe the lies and not wanting to hear the harsh truth, but so far she's learned lessons from her errors in judgment. Being worldly isn't that important when worldly men are always lying, cheating and trying to steal your dragons. She might marry a worldly man because it's expected and that husband may be a means to an end but I can see her falling in love with a man who isn't trying to get something from her or use her for some purpose.

I think Dany and Jon have been though some similar experiences. Both have lived in places where they didn't fully belong, both displaced from what they knew as their homes and both had to learn to lead under less than optimal circumstances. Putting aside that they are both attractive people and close in age, I think by the time Dany and Jon meet both of them will have experienced loss and suffering and will have survived by learning to adapt in situations where they are surrounded by enemies and liars. There's a lot to be said for falling in love with someone just because they understand you and are kindred spirits.

I do agree that Dany and Jon have had some similar experiences, as you describe, but also some differences. When I was talking about Dany being worldly, I was referring to her extensive travels throughout Essos, going from Pentos to Vaes Dothrak, then to Qarth, the slave cities, etc. Dany displays a remarkable ability to adapt to and even embrace other cultures. I think at this point, her experience in dealing with all kinds of people defines who she is as Queen and will help her win over the hearts of the Westerosi.

Jon Snow only knows Winterfell, the Wall, and Beyond-the-Wall, and as we know, there's not much civilization up there. All Jon had to do to adapt to wildling culture was kill Halfhand, act tough, and let Ygritte have her way with him. I do agree, though, that Dany has been betrayed by worldly men, and it may factor into her opinions of Jon.

It just feels like Dany's growth, so far, has eclipsed Jon's.

Well, Jon isn't worldly perhaps, but he has had to confront the walking dead. Beat that Euron!

Don't underestimate the sex appeal of blue lips. And we know Dany loves her men colored blue...

I like the idea of Jon and Daenerys mainly because they both seemed to be the most idealistic of the characters. They both recognize that the world they live in is not a land of sunshine and rainbows but instead of making the world a worse place they desire to make it better and be leaders in it.

Stannis wants to lead because he thinks it's his right according to the line of succession, Ned took his position because he had too, Joff was just a crazy little bastard, Robert didn't really want to lead he just wanted to hunt, whore, and drink, Drogo wanted to be the most powerful, Renly seemed to look upon it as a lark, and I could go on and on about the different characters but wont.

Jon Snow only knows Winterfell, the Wall, and Beyond-the-Wall, and as we know, there's not much civilization up there. All Jon had to do to adapt to wildling culture was kill Halfhand, act tough, and let Ygritte have her way with him. I do agree, though, that Dany has been betrayed by worldly men, and it may factor into her opinions of Jon.

It just feels like Dany's growth, so far, has eclipsed Jon's.

Jon had to learn to adapt to the culture of the Night's Watch, too. He did that pretty well, once Donal Noye showed him the error of his ways. Then, in ASoS, Jon had to display inspiring leadership all on his own to lead the defense of the Wall against Mance Rayder's host. Dany has done an excellent job of leading her khalasar and growing her forces, but she's had the considerable advantage of her dragons attracting people to her and her cause when otherwise they likely wouldn't have given her the time of day. While Jon may not have traveled nearly as much or as far as Dany by the time they meet, I doubt that will matter much when they meet, presumably with the threat of the Others looming large.

And heck, in Dance, Jon, as Lord Commander, will have to deal with Stannis Baratheon. If that's not a crash course in adaptability and dealing with a difficult, inimical royal, I don't know what it is.

In the end Jon and Dany marry and love each other greatly. But in order to save the realm Jon must kill Dany with his sword (lightbringer) to temper the steel and make it burn bright and hot.

Obviously, Dany's blood burns hot if she walks through fire and heat does not disturb her. She is the personification of blood and fire. Who better to use to make lightbringer then?

So, the realm is saved, but only at the terrible cost of the death of a wife and true love. Bittersweet.

In the end Jon and Dany marry and love each other greatly. But in order to save the realm Jon must kill Dany with his sword (lightbringer) to temper the steel and make it burn bright and hot.

Obviously, Dany's blood burns hot if she walks through fire and heat does not disturb her. She is the personification of blood and fire. Who better to use to make lightbringer then?

So, the realm is saved, but only at the terrible cost of the death of a wife and true love. Bittersweet.

Nah, Jon is much more pragmatic.

He'll just wound her. Blood is blood, even if the wound is in her chest, leg or whatever.

Or a member of the Faith will heal her mortal wound.

But since we are in one of GRRm's book, not likely :(

Nah, Jon is much more pragmatic.

He'll just wound her. Blood is blood, even if the wound is in her chest, leg or whatever.

Or a member of the Faith will heal her mortal wound.

But since we are in one of GRRm's book, not likely :(

I think the point was that the soul of AA's wife's passed into the blade, so a flesh wound wouldn't really cut it.

ETA: Really sorry about the unintentional punning.

Archived