474 replies to this topic

#461 Xenophon

Xenophon

Inquisitive not Intelligent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:36 PM

There are some of us who enjoy the show for the story, and don't watch to lament how much we hate everything afterwards.

And some who enjoy the show on its own terms first, but also enjoy analyzing it afterwards.

#462 elfish_warrior

elfish_warrior

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:42 PM

Did anyone else pronounce Gendry as in Jendry when they read the books?
I always did because of the word Gentry being said as jentry.

#463 Ferrum Aeternum

Ferrum Aeternum

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:45 PM

And some who enjoy the show on its own terms first, but also enjoy analyzing it afterwards.

Yes, this, exactly.

I try not to analyze the show at all during the first run-through. I don't post here, I don't tweet, I don't talk on the phone or converse with anyone - just watch and enjoy. The analysis can come later (preferably after subsequent viewings).

Can't wait for the blu-ray of this series, hope the extras are immense!!

I'll pay big bucks for blu-ray director's cut episodes. And I know I'm not the only one.

You listening, HBO???

Edited by Ser Helman Tallhart, 10 May 2011 - 04:47 PM.

#464 Huan

Huan

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:28 PM

4. I didn't mind LF getting the Hound's lines...but the timing felt a bit wrong. Here's Sansa (and the audience) still seconds into recovering from the shock of Ser Hugh's forced tracheotomy, and BAM - LF launches into this story about Sandor & Gregor. I dunno, it just seemed sloppy and forced. And, as someone else has already pointed out, the extras on this show are horrendously bad. Bunch of folks sitting there looking bored to death mere moments after a dude gets a lance to the throat. ACT, people! /tongue.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Actually I thought they were trying to achieve a pause in the background as Ser Hugh dies and LF tells his story to Sansa, kind of a frozen or slowed down moment.

#465 KarentheUnicorn

KarentheUnicorn

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:08 PM

Maybe it has to do with the fact that you're American, and your continuous staring into the TV screen has zombified you to a point of not being able to accept that what you see there isn't how everything should be.

god...

America didn't invent the round arena for massive sporting events; blame Italy.

#466 Bronn Stone

Bronn Stone

Master of the Cellars

• Members
  • 23,761 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:13 PM

Thanks Maltaran!

Ok, so is the general view that Tyrion just wanted to be polite by bribing someone rather than pulling rank? I'm still a little surprised though, that everyone just remains seated and eating when the son of a Great Lord walks into the room. This seems far more egalitarian than I would expect given the political structure, and how everyone was bowing and scraping to Robert when he arrived at Winterfell.

These people are sworn to Riverrun, not Casterly Rock. Presumably the result would have been different if it had been Edmure Tully.

#467 Ser Warpechowski

Ser Warpechowski

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:18 PM

Not to mention Tyrion doesnt have that much of respect and barely any power from his family.

#468 Jaime L

Jaime L

Die Mannschaft is the cruelest animal

• Members
  • 13,699 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:28 PM

If they're showing Gregor's joust with the Knight of Flowers, they have to show Beric Dondarrion vs Thoros of Myr - they've name dropped Thoros already and both become important later.

Agreed, considering how important both are later. Infact I would've liked to see the preamble to the tourney - the buzz and pageantry that must surround such an event. I'd have liked to see Beric riding into town with his retinue saying he's here to win the Hand's Tourney. This should feel like a city alive with possibility. Really show us what the kingdom was like in peace so we can appreciate the proper horror of the kingdom at war. We know winter's coming but less us enjoy this bit of summer.

Think it's possible to be so gravely and intently focused on hitting all the crucial plot points (and really the series hasn't missed one yet) that you place less of an emphasis on those little touches that add to the vibrancy of the series.

#469 legba11

legba11

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:43 PM

Jon has a fat face now? I swear, people on the internet and their standards...

Everyone on the internet has 190 IQ's, super model wives (multiple) and a law degree.

Didn't you know this?

I wish I could find the clip from the Simpsons of the Itchy and Scratchy fan complaining to Homer.

#470 lounger

lounger

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:05 PM

I wish I could find the clip from the Simpsons of the Itchy and Scratchy fan complaining to Homer.

bad quality but I agree it may fit here
My link

#471 Été

Été

Dreaming of Summer

• Members
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:12 PM

Everyone on the internet has 190 IQ's, super model wives (multiple) and a law degree.

IAnd they're just my salt wives /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

#472 Kaitscralt

Kaitscralt

Those are the times.

• Members
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:40 PM

I like how Littlefinger just got right to the story. It shows how unphased he is by gory death right in front of him.

#473 ser_nerdick

ser_nerdick

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:58 PM

I stand by my comment. Jon has a fat face. In my opinion of course. Others may think his face looks thin and gaunt. He is much chubbier than I had envisioned reading the books.

Regarding the criticism of the show's criticism, I don't get it. Do people really only want to see post after post of gushing praise? I was honest about what I saw as faults. It's not to say I didn't find things I liked (as I noted). I'm just stating my opinion.

#474 TyrionTargaryen

TyrionTargaryen

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:04 PM

WOW Kit Harrington is making me like Jon Snow character even though I never really enjoyed him in the books. KUDOS KIT!!

And Tyrion was awesome as well.

To all the nit pickers... lol

Awesome episode, best yet and I have a feeling they only get more amazing each week...

#475 Xray the Enforcer

Xray the Enforcer

Ginslayer

• Board Moderators
  • 23,589 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:20 PM

OK, this one's way past the normal cut-off point. Closing this one and will open up a new thread anon.