[BOOK/SHOW SPOILERS] The Eyrie?

Is it just me or was the Eyrie a lot different than described in the books? I seem to recall it was built into the side of a mountain, not on its own seperate "island" linked by a causeway. Also I pictured it a lot taller. Admittedly it's been a while since I read that book but isn't that how it was? Can someone who remembers it better comment on this?

I didn't like the Eyrie. It was way too "fantasy" for me. IIRC it was described as a keep built on top of a high mountain range with a narrow mountain road leading to it. Not a lone peak in the middle of the Vale with a lavish palace on top, and physically impossible stone bridges leading to it.

Is it just me or was the Eyrie a lot different than described in the books? I seem to recall it was built into the side of a mountain, not on its own seperate "island" linked by a causeway. Also I pictured it a lot taller. Admittedly it's been a while since I read that book but isn't that how it was? Can someone who remembers it better comment on this?

Yes, I believe it's described as being placed on the side of a very tall mountain (the Giant's Lance, which I imagined being Matterhorn-ish). The TV version was OK, but didn't seem quite...vertical enough.

I think the producers and the set designers have said that they were going for a more rounded-off feel for the Eyrie, with fewer straight lines and more curves. The outside had to match the interior.

yeah, the Eyrie looked pretty bad. And it didn't make that much sense when someone (Tyrion?) said that it was impregnable. I mean, are we supposed to believe that it is impregnable just because someone told us? Makes my fantasy of Dany and Tyrion and someone else conquering the Vale with her dragons seem kinda lame.

Totally agree with the Ted Nadsmith version, that is the way I pictured it as well.

I have to admit I did not picture it as shown in the show either - I pictured it more like a fortress built into a vertical rock wall - but the Ted Nadsnith version just looks so "fantasy-lite". I'm glad they did better than "Neuschwanstein on top of a rock".

My biggest nit is the exaggerated height of the mountain top the fortress is sitting on. But I do like the look of the actual building(s).

yeah, the Eyrie looked pretty bad. And it didn't make that much sense when someone (Tyrion?) said that it was impregnable. I mean, are we supposed to believe that it is impregnable just because someone told us? Makes my fantasy of Dany and Tyrion and someone else conquering the Vale with her dragons seem kinda lame.

Why doesn't that make any sense? How are you going to use any siege engines against that castle and how are you going to attack it other than having your soldiers run up to it 3-4 at a time? That tactic is not going to conquer any castle and we don't even know how the the gates are located (which could bring even more problems). The book says that armies bashed themselves bloody against the Bloody Gate, and that was easier to attack than this castle by the description.

So how do you gather that this is so easy to conquer that you say that it doesn't make sense?

I just had it like the Edinburgh castle but on a bigger rock. I like their version more.

ah, a fellow Edinburgher, I presume?

Welcome to the forums. :)

My idea of the Eyrie was pretty much the same as the tv show, but more elevated, and with more pointy towers. I am very satisfied with their rendition.

I thought the same things. And, there is all that, but...they have a budget to follow. I'm sure that doing the way castles + having a physically impossible Eyrie would have been absolutely budget busting.

I was assuming it was going to be CGI no matter what. Do you think the version in the show isn't?

Ok, so we know what everyone thinks of the outside, but how about the inside?

I, for one, like the throne room, particularly the weirwood throne. Can't imagine it's any more comfortable than the Iron Throne.

I didn't think the Eyrie was that terrible, but it was certainly different than what I would have done. I also had imagined it and the mountain it was on to be much taller. (I don't remember seeing any waterfalls either, shouldn't they have been visible?) Also I had always assumed it had much more rough hewn rock, so that it was difficult to tell where mountain ended and castle began. Maybe some kind of combination of this and this.

I loved the interior.

Budget constraints there may be, but they're making up for a lot of it with symbolic lighting. The slightly greenish tinge to the inside of The Eyrie definitely gives it the sadistic twisted feeing versus the cold and honorable Winterfell.

Set-wise, it was a little smaller than I pictured in my head - I thought the room would be much larger - but other than that it was perfect.

Archived