Capclave 2013 - Columbus Day Weekend- Washington DC

I note that they are doing this on the Inner Loop. Therefore, it should be possible to use the Outer Loop w/o issue.

That implies minimal problems for those coming from the north, but those coming from DC and points south should

come up on the Virginia side of the Beltway (Outer Loop), not the Maryland side (Inner Loop).

I shall be coming south on I-270, hopefully the event will not cause a miles-long backup. WMAL AM on 630 kHz should have frequent traffic reports, I expect.

Haha as great as that would be, I wanna make sure he is okay with finding time for it, as well as the fact it could be really unsettling to see a 19 year old hooligan dressed as him hahaha

A quick photo is a lot less effort/intrusive than a book signing, so long as you choose a moment when it would not be an interruption or distraction, should be fine.

When are you and Mrs Ixodes coming in? I'm taking the Metro to SG and calling a cab from there.

Our flight gets in at 1:30pm and it's about 1 hour to Shady Grove.

The Hilton has a free shuttle from the Shady Grove metro station to the hotel. Once you get to the station, call them and they'll send someone to pick you up.

The shuttle stops at 10PM. I won't make it SG before 10:30. The hotel said the depot was only 10 min away...which I interpret as 30 minutes in cabbie time :lol:

Our flight gets in at 1:30pm and it's about 1 hour to Shady Grove.

The Hilton has a free shuttle from the Shady Grove metro station to the hotel. Once you get to the station, call them and they'll send someone to pick you up.

I note that they are doing this on the Inner Loop. Therefore, it should be possible to use the Outer Loop w/o issue.

That implies minimal problems for those coming from the north, but those coming from DC and points south should

come up on the Virginia side of the Beltway (Outer Loop), not the Maryland side (Inner Loop).

If you are coming South on I-95 AND you have an EZ-Pass, there is a shortcut...

Exit 19A on I-95 S is the Inter-County Connector, A/K/A MD 200, A/K/A I-370.

It is a toll road which only accepts EZ-Pass payment, no toll booths.

It runs West across MD and intersects I-270 N a few miles south of the Hilton.

And it means you don't have to get on the effin' Beltway at all...

Very late on Thursday. MC and Kair have my number so I can help set up the shindig on Friday. Which reminds me that I need to PM the Baroness with my number as well.

Which day are you coming in?

Bex are you flying? I'm coming in around 11pm Thursday and saw it was $100 for a cab from the airport. Is there a better or cheaper way to get from Baltimore airport to the hotel?

Check this website: http://www.bwiairport.com/en/travel/ground-transportation

Unfortunately, you may well be arriving too late for some of the options to be available. Also, be aware that if you pick an option that takes you to a DC Metro station, you will want to check the Metro schedule as well, since it does not provide 24-hour service.

Your best bet is probably SuperShuttle. It'll run you about $50 one-way.

If you are coming South on I-95 AND you have an EZ-Pass, there is a shortcut...

Exit 19A on I-95 S is the Inter-County Connector, A/K/A MD 200, A/K/A I-370.

It is a toll road which only accepts EZ-Pass payment, no toll booths.

It runs West across MD and intersects I-270 N a few miles south of the Hilton.

And it means you don't have to get on the effin' Beltway at all...

You can still use it without an EZ-Pass......they'll just mail you a bill. They'll tack on a couple extra dollars too . :thumbsdown:

I think we paid $2.55 for a 55 cent toll.

Is there anybody traveling back to Northern NJ or NYC on Saturday evening or Sunday morning? Here's my situation: I'm at the tail end of my road trip and I have to return the car I borrowed to my friend in Vienna, VA. I've booked a rental car from Saturday morning to get back to NJ, but it's costing me $175 (because I can only return it on Monday). I was planning on meeting friends in Baltimore for lunch on Saturday and then leave for NJ, but if there's a chance I can get a ride with someone who's going that way anyway, I'd prefer to save the $$. One major catch: I have luggage (a couple of suitcases, some camping stuff, and sundries), so I can only get a ride with someone with an otherwise empty car.

One alternative is that I can keep the rental car and take people with me, and split the cost. Actually, that might be easier. Anyone willing to do that? I can stay until Sunday morning or even Sunday afternoon if anyone wants to do that. I also don't mind going out of the way to drop you off.

Archived