Cyanide's upcoming ASOIAF computer game

Yeah, this game looks pretty blah. Seriously, a game that's basically Game of Thrones: Total War would have my money in heartbeat. I can picture the map of Westeros (or heck, the other continent(s) too!) with the major House strongholds in my mind's eye super-easily, as well as unique, faction specific units, hero units (Shogun 2 had these) ... would be so much win.

Bland, dated RTS. Yawn. And 'Genesis'. Seriously?

I would much rather see a Paradox strategy game (Creative Assembly haven't made a good game since Rome) and a Bioware RPG. Given the number of references to ASOIAF in Dragon Age, I'm sure the interest was there

Yeah, this game looks pretty blah. Seriously, a game that's basically Game of Thrones: Total War would have my money in heartbeat. I can picture the map of Westeros (or heck, the other continent(s) too!) with the major House strongholds in my mind's eye super-easily, as well as unique, faction specific units, hero units (Shogun 2 had these) ... would be so much win.

And you received

Of course, you need M2TW: Kingdoms, and the engine is a bit dated; so you won't get naval battles and such, and in any case, it's not exactly finished yet, but even so.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I don't really like the idea of this either.

First of all, they made it real time. RTS's will always have worse AI than TBS's, compare say, Age of Empires to Galactic Civilisations to see what I mean. Second of all, what do developers have against making Real Time battles a la Total War? I don't develop games so what, is it just harder?

Some news, pictures and videos from the RPG, in french : http://www.gamekult.com/actu/rencontre-avec-a-game-of-thrones-rpg-A0000093972.html

The RPG is being developed in Paris, the RTS in Canada so it's not the same exact studio (though both are Cyanide, to be sure). They mention in the video that they talked with George concerning the artwork/artstyle for the game and to validate storylines (to see they don't clash with his universe). They also say they will maintain their own style regardless of what the HBO series will do, and that they don't understand one of the creative choices in the HBO series (I wonder what they mean, not sure if they are talking artstyle for something or the way they approach characters).

The RPG is being developed in Paris, the RTS in Canada so it's not the same exact studio (though both are Cyanide, to be sure). They mention in the video that they talked with George concerning the artwork/artstyle for the game and to validate storylines (to see they don't clash with his universe). They also say they will maintain their own style regardless of what the HBO series will do, and that they don't understand one of the creative choices in the HBO series (I wonder what they mean, not sure if they are talking artstyle for something or the way they approach characters).

Probably regarding costuming and such designs as the castles/fortress/locations.

• 2 weeks later...

Like so many others I was also very disappointed when I read about the RTS and even more after I saw the screenshots, traditionally I don't like RTS, most are just games that test how fast you can click in a peasant/settler to gather some resource and then build some barracks and start the production of units, there's usually little to none strategy involved, and it's just stupid when the AI attacks with 2 or 3 units at a time.

I really hoped that we would get a real strategy game, with realistic economy, deep political elements (including political marriages), intelligent diplomacy (with shifting alliances based on your actions and power status), espionage (with something like we got in Medieval Total War I, where we could send spies to uncover secrets like incest, atheism and this had an impact on that character), and a realistic army recruitment and logistic systems, where every battle lost would have its impact and proper management would be more important than how fast you can click in a building). I wouldn't even care much about graphics if I could get a game like this.

ASOIF deserved a game that combined the best elements of great games like the graphics and tactical battles of Total War (though with an improved AI), the politics of Knights of Honor (where you could infiltrate a spy in a enemy court and depending on the position he was granted he could help you in different ways) and the diplomacy of Alpha Centaury (though an old game, it still has one of the most intelligent and realistic diplomatic systems).

And now I learn that the RPG is probably gonna suck too. How awesone it would be if a company like Bethesda wanted to create a game based on ASOIF. I love their Elder Scrolls, despite not liking the world they created with stupid beast races and green orcs and excessive magic, but a game based on George's world would have the best of both.

Well, now it's just a dream, maybe in the future after the last book is published we can finally get a decent game, though that's going to be harder and harder with the majority of the gamers getting dumber and dumber, there's a current trend to oversimplification and focus on shiny graphics.

Like so many others I was also very disappointed when I read about the RTS and even more after I saw the screenshots, traditionally I don't like RTS, most are just games that test how fast you can click in a peasant/settler to gather some resource and then build some barracks and start the production of units, there's usually little to none strategy involved, and it's just stupid when the AI attacks with 2 or 3 units at a time.

I really hoped that we would get a real strategy game, with realistic economy, deep political elements (including political marriages), intelligent diplomacy (with shifting alliances based on your actions and power status), espionage (with something like we got in Medieval Total War I, where we could send spies to uncover secrets like incest, atheism and this had an impact on that character), and a realistic army recruitment and logistic systems, where every battle lost would have its impact and proper management would be more important than how fast you can click in a building). I wouldn't even care much about graphics if I could get a game like this.

ASOIF deserved a game that combined the best elements of great games like the graphics and tactical battles of Total War (though with an improved AI), the politics of Knights of Honor (where you could infiltrate a spy in a enemy court and depending on the position he was granted he could help you in different ways) and the diplomacy of Alpha Centaury (though an old game, it still has one of the most intelligent and realistic diplomatic systems).

And now I learn that the RPG is probably gonna suck too. How awesone it would be if a company like Bethesda wanted to create a game based on ASOIF. I love their Elder Scrolls, despite not liking the world they created with stupid beast races and green orcs and excessive magic, but a game based on George's world would have the best of both.

Well, now it's just a dream, maybe in the future after the last book is published we can finally get a decent game.

After the games are released the reviews will come pouring out. We'll see if they are rated well.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I'm kinda glad this game is looking sketchy. When I first heard they were doing a game based on ASoIaF I dreaded that it might be an MMO. I've been down that road before. I wasn't a good thing.

Unfortunately, I suck at RTS, so even if this game turns out to be steller, I'll still suck at it! ;)

I'd be a lot more interested if it were a console version. An RPG type in the mold of recent Bethesda (Elder Scrolls, Fallout)/Bioware (Mass Effect/Dragon Age) titles would have been awesome. Supposedly the Dragon Age titles were heavily influenced by ASOIAF. I don't really see it in playing the games, however. Maybe only in the superficial sense that your actions have consequences down the road. It definitiely doesn't 'feel' like ASOIAF.

The closest thing that I can think of is the minor house side-quests in Elder Scrolls: Morrowind. If someone could take that idea and run with it, I'd have pre-ordered already.

My friend and I were talking about Game of Thrones and video games and we were talking about what kind of video game would be our favorite for a Game of Thrones title.

Game of Thrones: Trial by Combat

a fighting game mixing Soul Calibur and Bushido Blade, there is no health bar there is a stamina bar and quite a lot of armor and once people get tired they attack slower and react slower. And a match can last 5 seconds or a couple minutes.

Fighters

Robert Baratheon

Jamie Lannister

Eddard Stark

Robb Stark

Khal Drogo (no armor, fastest charcter in game)

Victarion Greyjoy

Loras Tyrell

The Hound

Jorah Mormont

Brieanne of Tarth

The Red Viper

Bronn

Barristan Selmy

Rheagar Targaryen

The Mountain

Thoros of Myr

Speaking as someone who owns Cyanide's Blood Bowl: don't get your hopes up. Everything right with the game is taken from the original. Everything wrong with it is attributable to Cyanide. The UI is abominable, it took them three paid iterations to quash most of the major bugs, and their original game mode is frankly awful.

Pretty much this. The last patch for Blood Bowl was in February and there are serious game affecting bugs that look like they're simply never getting fixed at this point. I was momentarily excited that there was going to be an ASOIAF game, but I don't intend to buy a Cyanide product, so my hopes were immediately crushed when I heard they were making it.

To be fair, I love the Blood Bowl game and it's the primary game I play currently, but that's because I'm already invested and have paid my money. I can't see starting another game of theirs from the beginning.

An example of one of the unfixed bugs: Blood Bowl is a fantasy football game. Each team fields 11 players. But there are bugs that cause for sometimes there to be either 12 or 10 players on the field. As you might imagine, this is pretty hugely game distorting.

In a perfect world Bethesda or Bioware would be making an RPG set in Westeros, but unfortunately we live in this world. Bethesda will continue to make Elder Scrolls and Fallout and Bioware will continue to make Dragon Age and Mass Effect. But nothing can stop me dreaming about the impossibly awesome game that would be created if either of these companies decided to make it. :drool:

Archived